Register now to get rid of these ads!

Linseed oil over patina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rivrat, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

Listen to falconm the stuff is dangerous in that aspect,thats why cal fire doesnt promote it anymore,to many crew bus garages and engine bays have burned down over the years,let them dry in the sun in a ventilated area away from each other before you put them in a steel grease rag can.as far as flatting it,im not sure,i doubt the flatner would work ,i think the best bet is time and driving,it will however keep the truck protected. i personally think it looks good but thats just my .02

2. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

What did the guys at Fast N Loud recommend? They are the experts LOL!

3. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Cool truck. F**k the critics.
    He asked for some tech advice didn't he??
    If all you a**holes want the guy to paint his truck then open your wallets or shut your pie holes!!

4. Well I guess if I was a farmer whenever I went to town I would put on my best bibbies and my cleanest dirty shirt. But if I was a hot rodder i would do the absolute best I could, even if I squirted my own paint and beat my own fenders.

My stuff isn't as nice as say Special Ed's stuff and I know it. I doubt that it will ever be that nice but I have a pretty slim budget and still try to make my stuff presentable.

When I was a young man I ran with a pretty ruff bunch. I still consider those of them that are still alive to be my closest friends. Most of us didn't work unless we had to and a lot of the time we didn't have too nickles to rub together. We had a saying, "live like a pig and have a nice ride."

One thing that a lot of fellas seem to miss in this whole "traditional" hot rodding thing, your ride is your pride.

5. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

Why can't he take pride in what he's had a hand in creating? Paint doesn't equal pride, accomplishment and satisfaction in the end result equal pride.

6. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

This is what most don't get.They just want to be part of the poular fad of the year.rust is signs of neglect .it will just get worse. he didn't create the patina someone just didn't take care of the truck .

7. Gromit

Gromit

Don't know I'd use tide, but maybe a highly diluted soap wash? I use tide as hand cleaner because it's awesome at removing grease and oil lol! You don't need to remove it!.. But that's a good idea but dilute dilute dilute!

8. Gromit

Gromit

Fad of the year... Yes maybe you'r right. I have been thinking though and I think it's realy just an expression of an older "fad" Been going to car shows since I was a wee one back in the 70's. At most of the shows the owners proudly displayed a book of photos showing what a rusty.. I mean.. patina'd piece of refuse the car was when they found it in a snake infested cave out in the dessert or whatever. then behold.. fresh Black paint, new wheels... Maybe the fad for "patina" is a version of that... I saved this from a wrecker and drive it now sort of thing. Just thinking outloud here....

9. Let me ask you this and this is not aimed at the OP it is a general question. If you are proud of a junker what does that really say about you?

Grommit I do understand what you are saying, I think. But the first aprt of what you had to say pretty much sums it up. Pictures of what it was on the finished product. That really pretty much started in the '70s as I recall, but that is beside the point.

You probably recall in the '90s there was a trend at shows at least here in the mid west to give a prize for unfinished cars. The operative word here being unfinished. What we are seeing among our ranks here today is people driving one that is too far gone to be considered a beater and calling it done.

It is like there is a trend toward the old grizzled prospecter look. I guess that is acceptable if you are an old grizzled prospecter. But if one of us found him dead in his model A pickup and there was a note:

I Death valley Bob,
    Being of a sound mind and a snake bit body do bequieth all my personal possesions to the finder.

Now Death Valley Bob always wanted to strike it rich so he could live the life of luxery. That was what he went out there for in the first place, to find the mother load. Now I am certainly not rich myself but being the finder of the note and his old Model A pickup, along with the picks and shovels etc. Out of respect for Bob am going to clean that bigger up as much as possible. that is what he would have wanted or aleast it can be alleged that he would have wanted that or else why would he have been out there prospecting in the first place.

The American Dream my friend, someday pie in the sky. Reaching for the stars and all that.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  10. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

I take pride in my ride. I take pride in the compliments I get out at shows and in public. I was at a show a couple months back and parked my "junker" , as some people call it, between a very nice 1954 and 56 chevy truck. I mean beautiful. I walked the show and would come back to see 10-12 people all over my truck. I would mingle in the crowd to hear what they are saying. If there was a bad comment they were keeping it to themselves. and not a one looking at the other two next to me. I take pride in that. Yes it is different and not everybodys taste but its what i wanted and what i drive the sh*t out of. It is as original as a body can get, "Untouched", yes it may have been neglected before, Sitting in a field for a decade or two, but its on the road now and turning head. eveyone has a style and this is mine, and i dont see where it doesnt fit this forum.

gornzilla likes this.
  11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That is the only way to look at it, and as stated in another post, your question was a Technical one...not asking for opinions...:rolleyes:
    Always amuses me when little "Alphabet Boyz"/as well as others need to add another phone book to their chair so they can reach their Mommy's computer to spew their useless info......and it really shows their ignorance when they are comparing a rusty truck to a twat.....maybe when they reach puberty they will see the light...:eek:
    But probably not.....
    Cheers....

12. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

It all boils down to how you were raised. My dad was a Hot Rod guy in the 40's & 50's and my Grandfather was a motorcycle guy. Building bikes and cars, in my teenage years, I always heard: "Finish it or sell it!" and that always included paint and keeping them clean. I take my nephews to car shows and try to get another generation interested in this hobby. They are drawn to the finished and well executed cars. I'm afraid if everyone has an attitude like " Body work & paint is a waste of time", interest in this hobby will dwindle and become non-existent. Heaven knows we have enough riding against us now.

13. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Haha. My truck loves to stir them up

14. That pretty much sums it up. As far as fitting the forum you are here and obviously happy. These types of threads always bring out the one thing that keeps most of us on this forum that is preaching the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums around the world.

The people that are congregating around your truck don't get it either.

Look at it this way I knew a preacher once that used to say if you woke up in a barn you wouldn't necessarily be a cow. He was usually talking about the folks who came to his church every week and didn't get it. They were happy as ducks in mud because they were in church and they liked most of the people he went to church with. They just didn't get it but he kept on preaching with the hope that someday they would.

Well you are in the barn brotha. You keep posting pics of your truck we aren't mad at you about it and we probably won't throw rocks at you either. We are just like that preacher except we are preaching a different gospel. You may never get it that is just the way that it is but maybe someone else will.

I have said none of this to be mean to you, just being honest with you. Maybe the next time you see me you are going to bust me in the mouth, won't be the first time I got busted in the mouth over being honest, but I intend to continue to be honest regardless.

15. cederholm

cederholm

I didn't read the whole thread so someone might have answered you already. If you are using artist grade linseed oil, a GOOD art store will carry a flattening agent to reduce the glossyness. This stuff is common for oil painters (like me) to reduce glare on a canvas. It should do the same on your car tho I've never tried it.

You will need to mix the flattner in the oil and re-apply. One thing to note, pure linseed oil will yellow over time in the sun. Art stors carry synthetic oil that wont yellow if you care.

...and I've never used any of this stuff on a car, so you're on your own.

~ Carl
    www.carlcederholm.com <-- my artwork

16. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Linseed oil may be good for wood, but over rust? Looks like that '50 Olds that those yahoos on Fast n Loud sprayed clear. Shiny rust.

17. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

thanks Cedarholm
    The problem im having is it had a rubbery texture to it. I don't know if that will go away when it fully drys. Ive never worked with Linseed oil. It was a homedepot product not art store. I just figured it was like any type of oil..... apply muiltiple coats until it doesnt take it anymore, then wipe off the excess. im going to try washing it a couple of times and drive her a bit

18. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

If you like it,thats all that matters...screw the crybabys...

19. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

yeah they are on the rust. oh Sh*t, is that going to piss some one off?

20. cederholm

cederholm

Yes, that can happen and it can take a while for the stuff to dry. I'm sure the homedepot oil is fine, but if you're worried miniral spirits should remove the gummy oil. Or turpentine.

Again, back at the art store, they sell drying mediums like Japan Dryer. A basic glazing cocktail I use to final coat my paintings are 1 part turpentine to 3 parts linseed and a splash of dryer. ...again, this is for an oil painting not a truck so you might have to adjust.

One final note, even fully dried linseed oil should be removable with a mild paint thinner like miniral spirits so I doubt you will hurt anything as you experiment.

Love to see how it comes out, feel free to PM me if you want.

~ Carl

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I kind of wonder what it would have looked like if you used a phosphoric acid product like ospho first, then did linseed. It would have blackened it, which might of looked nice with a linseed over it to. Also it would neutralized the rust, rust leads to rust holes. To me rust sucks for that reason.

Like carl said it's not going to hurt anything to experiment. If or when you paint, you would have to either beadblast or DA the whole truck anyway.

Do what you like and have fun.

22. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

Perhaps Porknbeaner still doesn't get it?

23. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

This whole thread is a waste of time. Firstly, the original poster asks the question which basically boils down to "how do I preserve my rust", which in my understanding of the way this board works is off topic. Still, a few nice guys try and answer the off topic question, and still some other guys trying in vain to educate him on what "spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs", which after all is what this place is here for, actually means. Then, as so often happens around here nowadays tradition is thrown back in our faces like it's some kind of dirty word, and guys who actually care about what the HAMB stands for are made out to be the bad guys.
    People are trying to change the mission of this place to suit their own agendas and they are winning. This guy neither understands or cares that when you get right down to it, he is posting on the wrong forum. It's not about how you want to do it now, it's about how it was done back then.
    And there hell of a lot of people who were around back then contribute to this place and know the truth. You know, I really don't know why I'm bothering, because I'm only going to get grief for it.
    Paul

24. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I sprayed Corroseal, which is also a converter, on a '49 Chevy business coupe that looked similar in appearence. It was black within hours and the metal was better protected..........temporarily anyway

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Unless that's sarcasm, Don't even go there newbie.

26. No Paul,,you are absolutely correct in every way and anyone that tries to discredit you is trying to change the Hamb agenda! HRP

27. rick finch

rick finch

Right on Paul...:)

28. bobscogin

bobscogin

Only if you choose to read it. Need I say more?

Bob

29. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Im not insecure to the point that I need to try and impress others with shiny paint. I'm secure in my manhood, You are "Special Ed" indeed sir. Load your trailer queen on the back of your truck and go show someone who gives a shit. I bet you were sad When Boyd passed on huh? Some people are into cars because they like to have fun and not for stroking their egos. Whos the one who "doesn't get it"?

30. Welllll, shit's bout to get real.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.