Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincoln Electric WP-100 Wire Feed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robber grin, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Stupid question perhaps, but anyways...

Does anyone know why the mig wire on my L/E Weldpak-100 would not want to feed?

The tip is not the problem because if I back the plastic thumbscrew off that holds the wire-spool on it will feed okay until it tightens itself up again and won't turn.

I'm running .030 solid wire with gas and the groove on the drive wheel is set correctly...

putting a small flat washer on it seemed to help.

I called a buddy who has the same set-up and his is working without any washers.

Just don't want to burn up the motor or board if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have had issues with the liner causing the wire to catch...but it was pretty old...do you have the spool on the right way.ie feeding from the bottom and not the top? Is the welder old enough to have worn out stuff on it or is it fairly new,we need more info!

3. Spool is on the right way - feeding from the bottom. Fairly new welder too...

and by the way I have really enjoyed watching your build!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. 64gal

64gal

Tension set correctly?

Attached Files:

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Pull the tip off and see if it feeds OK. Then cut the wire inside at the reel and try pushing it through by hand to see if you can feel any resistance that would indicate the liner might be smashed or kinked.

6. Referring to the spring-loaded wingnut that clamps the wire unto the drive wheel? If so it's tight...

the wire feeds through the tip...

but the plastic thumbscrew on the spool gets so tight as it goes that it soon keeps the wire spool from turning "freely" on the shaft/arm.

7. ^^ what he said ... and cut the wire ... the burn bulb doesnt feed too well

8. That is where your problem is. The spool should spin free on the shaft. It should not tighten up once set.

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

My old sp125 is about 15 or so yrs old never had an issue like that, have you tried another spool of wire? I got one once that got stuck alot until finally it wouldnt turn, wasnt wound properly...thanks for checkin out my build thread !!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had similar issues with some spools on my Lincoln 175. Also I've found that if you try to be frugal and roll the wire that is in the liner back on the spool to save that ten feet you sometimes get a slight kink in it that causes problems the next time you use it. Plus it usually gets tangled up when you go to run it again as the wire is overlapping it's self.