Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincoln disc brake rear end caliper question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WZ JUNK, Jan 10, 2004.

1. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am trying to work out the caliper problem on the disc brake rear end in my wife's 54 Chevy car project. Today I was looking at a friend streetrod with the same Lincoln rearend and it has another type caliper without the emergency brake arm. I looked closer and you could see that someone had purchased and installed an adapter that allowed the use of another style caliper. I looked at my usual sources for this adapter but I have not found one anywhere. Does anyone know who makes the type that I am looking for? It is a bolt on that replaces part of the Lincoln caliper mounting unit. I have found several weld on brackets but if I change the present factory system, I would like to use this style. I want to do away with the factory emergency brake caliper.

2. The one we just did had a cast caliper bracket. Is this what you have?

3. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Yes, the bracket that holds the caliper is cast but it is in two pieces that are held together with a bolt near each end. The bracket I saw today replaced half of this bracket and was held on by the two bolts.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Don't know John but I have always heard that the caliper is the problem with that rear end.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The problems with the Lincoln calipers are primarily that most folks run them w/o the E-brake hooked up properly. This caliper REQUIRES the e-brake to be hooked up with the proper tension to keep the arm in the right location. The e-brake arm is also an integral part of the self-adjusting feature & occasional use is necessary to keep it properly adjusted internally.

[​IMG]

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am wondering if I can ocassionally manually operate the emergency brake feature.(By moving the arm back and forth a few times when I am underneath servicing the car.) The way I understand the operation is that it ratchets the internal adjuster to allow for the wear of the pads.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    I am wondering if I can ocassionally manually operate the emergency brake feature.(By moving the arm back and forth a few times when I am underneath servicing the car.) The way I understand the operation is that it ratchets the internal adjuster to allow for the wear of the pads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you can safety-tie the lever in the same position it would be in during normal operation, you might get away with "adjusting" for wear by working the arm a few times every month or so.

But you really should have an e-brake anyway!

[​IMG]

8. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Ernie, Im considering a Versailles (freebie)rear for a Y Block drag Altered project.
    It will be rear brakes only and probably in the 11-12 sec range. Do you think this will be sufficient for stopping a ~2000# car?
    Other suggestions; this will be using an A frame?

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'll be honest - I've had a lot of problems getting them set up correctly. They're a pain in the A** to rebuild too & buying rebuilt ones from the local parts store isn't a cheap proposition (and the core charges are horrendous as well).

To answer your question though, I would like to think they'd be fine. I've never used 'em as rear-only, but would think they did 35-40% of the work stopping a 5000lb car - should be about right. The trick is keeping them adjusted properly. I wouldn't know where to begin with M/C bore size & pedal ratio though...

But you'll have a chute too, right? Even if just for looks!
    [​IMG]

Besides, as you're no doubt aware, the Versailles rear is fairly desireable, so "freebie" is a most excellent price! If you change your mind & go with something else, you can easily move it on to finance the project further...

[​IMG]