Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lifting Straight Axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteorgasser, Nov 21, 2007.

1. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

I have a question. I would prefer if someone can help without saying "...look in the archives", or "...do a search.."

I have put an Econoline axle under the front of a 1962 Mercury Meteor and I'm wondering if it is better to use blocks between the spring and axle OR get a straight axle instead of a drop axle. OR put blocking/tubing between hangers and frame & weld in place.

Has anyone had experience in this? And raised it safely?

Thank ya.

2. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

There is a great article in the new Hot Rod Deluxe on this.(At least I didn't say look in the archives:D )

3. Kurt

Kurt

I have seen them done both ways.

4. brandon

brandon

could always have the springs re-arched ...if you block it with box tube make sure you box the tubing....and make sure tocheck your caster and steering for bump steer.....as you go higher ....things tend to change .....:D mas can make you a custom width straight tube axle if needed..... brandon :D

5. raffman

raffman

My buddy who's family have owned a spring shop for 3 generations told me the flatter a leaf spring is the better it will work.A severely arched spring you don't want, looks cool in all the Roth drawings but not on a real car. I made blocks out of heavy wall 2x4 rectangular stock and then gusseted them for my 55 chevy and yes a "straight axle" not dropped will give you more lift.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I don't quite understand that......for a spring to work at all, it has to "unwind" & recoil. A flat spring is as "unwound" as it can get - after all, when flat it's just a piece of flat stock. Or so it seems to me. :confused:

In any event, I believe the original question was, which is safer, blocks or a straight axle and, IMHO, I'd opt for a straight axle on the KISS principal - less things to go wrong. Blocks would be the cheap way to achive your goal and have been used countless times, but I'd prefer to spend the money and make sure it's as safe as possible, especially on a front end.

BTW, did you do a 'Search' or look in the archive? :D