Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lifter Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Michael_e

Michael_e

I'm starting a pickup project and as i gather parts i got to wondering about lifters. Which type of lifter is really better for a daily driven work truck, Hydraulic Flat Tappet or Hydraulic Roller? I'm wanting to build a BBC for towing and hauling stuff. I'm not looking to build a 10 second 1/4 mile monster, although if i'm taking a trailer loaded with a 49 caddy and want to go up the hill to Eisenhower tunnel, i want to be able to keep up with all the other traffic. So, does the style of lifter make any difference in daily performance, maintenance, or any other issues involved with a daily driver?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Rollers are obviously the way to go. Detroit didn't do it because they were cheaper!

3. RAY With

RAY With

My preference is an RV cam with anti pump up lifters. It gives you low end torque for pulling and better mileage and the best part is maintaince free. Along with this set up I install a True roller TC and new gears.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Roller. Because modern oil sucks.

5. I had rollers in my 89 LX (factory) and but them in the 289 in my 66 Shelby.
    they worked great. The engines rev so much better.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Big block chevys eat flat tappet cams, especially with modern no-zinc oil. Roller is the way to go if you can afford it.

7. ugotpk

ugotpk

If you loose 1 camshaft or lifters you will wish you had done it right the first time. Spend the money for the good stuff the 1st time.
    Ugotpk engine builder.
    Motors are electric.

8. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Times 2

9. George

George

The only change to the Mustang engine the year they changed to rollers vs the previous year was the roller cam. HP went up 5 or 10 HP just from the reduced friction. Think I read that 25% of the heat in the oil is from lifter friction.

10. Agree witht he anti-pump lifters. Had a 57 Chevy with a 406 small-block and a comp 300 cam with roads lifters. Ran smooth and sipped gas with foot out of it, over 23 miles to the gallon, hit rpm's in the power band and full effect. Torque up the kazoo. Only sold it cuz kazoo got sore...lol.