Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods License plate restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1946caddy, Apr 18, 2020.

1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I have several old license plates and a few of them have holes in them. What are you using to fill the holes?
    Anyone tried to tig weld a patch or any other method.

2. 8DA0E903-9268-41F1-BBDC-FB54FDCA7BEC.jpeg 031D6A65-BD37-4847-976E-F8A94B252A94.jpeg

I just hang them up high enough that you don’t really notice any extra holes.

CME1, v8flat44, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  3. .............JB Weld.

4. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

I got a matched NY 1934 set once but one had what I believe was a .22 hole in it (not very big - about as big around as a pencil eraser). I used a very small piece of plastic (vinyl?) fine screen, mixed some Duraglass filler and "mudded" the screen in the hole. Did some careful sanding front and back, primered with "build-up" primer and refinished the plate. You'd never know it was repaired. (I don't know if this would make any difference but this repaired plate was not placed on a car but was used as a display.)

5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Thanks, I plan on using the plate on a truck.

6. tjm73

tjm73

Some states frown on this, but it gets done.

7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Washington State requires an original plate and if it's a truck, it must be a truck plate. There's a special licensing procedure that must be followed.

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Low melting point silver solder is what I was told is the best solution.
    Make the hole neat and cut out a small piece of matching material and solder it in and smooth it off.
    Almost like lead wiping...

olscrounger likes this.
  9. I have always welded up any holes or cracks, this is how to fix a car body why would a plate be any different?

10. 31 5w

31 5w

Check your state laws, in Fl. the plate MUST be original- they inspect the plate b/4 issuing you paperwork. If the plate has been restored or damage has been repaired they will not let you use.

11. That’s why most guys get their plates inspected BEFORE they do the restoration to them. Nobody bothers to check your plates for work after they get signed off on.

olscrounger likes this.
  12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My brother and I have licensed a number of cars using nicely restored YOM plates here in Washington state. Nobody has ever batted an eye. The transaction is conducted with a bored counter person at the licensing office, not an officer of the law looking to splt hairs. I wouldn't worry about it. However, as noted earliers, it needs to be a truck plate.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Kentucky has the best YOM Statute in the country. Nobody from the DMV or law enforcement ever has to inspect them. Just bolt them on and go. The only requirement is the current DMV issued tag must be in the vehicle. Some rodders were responsible in getting the current requirements past the State Legislature.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  14. Thomas K.

Thomas K.

In Michigan you mail a picture of the plate. Did this a year ago with a restored plate plate and no problem.