Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Bluto the Friend!
    I am always sorry and sad because of your problems, but glad to see your attitude, bravery and high spirit that help you to overcome all that. I am sure that your magnificent dedication, love and persistence in collecting old stuff have the strong positive influence on accepting problems that couldn't be solved and solving problems that could! I believe that person Z, is the second (or the first) pilon that support you! As I once wrote, you remind me of my late brother, not just by physical look, but by love for machinery and even more by mentioned mental and emotional strength!
    --- ---
    About photos with vehicles from your collection, I am sure that they would be welcomed here! This great Forum is already far away from the main subject of H.A.M.B. - therefore some side-paths are allowed and should be well received!

Regards,
    Zoran
    P.S.: Just for Bluto - quite big letters!
    P.S.: Many happiness and good luck in all fields and at all paths of life, during the entire 2018th year - for all the members of this Forum! Belgrade, Christmass and New Year 2017-18.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Rolfzoller likes this.
  2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

PLEASE DON'T ANYONE BE SORRY TO HEAR THIS. I SAVED THE BEST PROJECTS FOR MY RETIREMENT. THEY JUST MUST GO. AFTER ALL I HAVE GONE THRU I AM STILL ALIVE AND WILL STILL POST ON THE BOARD TILL I REALLY CAN'T SEE.

IN MY CASE THE WORLD ISN'T GOING DARK BUT RATHER MORE AND MORE PIECES ARE MISSING IN MY VIEW'
    There is a lot to see in "blutos stuff" photo file on this website.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/blutos-stuff.9309/

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

26166795_10156287090364267_7973257695572247401_n.jpg from Lee Stohr.

Erik B likes this.
  4. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

5. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

6. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Thank you, Rolf, for interesting posts!
    Who wouldn't like all kinds of baby-racers, either push-karts (gravity racers, soapbox cars and so on), or motorized versions (often known as baby Vanderbilt racers)...

The attached link will lead you to nice Chaplin's film, starting with sequences with kid soapbox karts and then followed by motorised small racers... When I was a kid, I saw this film in Belgrade's "Kinoteka" (film archive museum) - and, became obsessed with idea of building soapbox kart, then later to motorised it, then to build some kind of cyclecar (didn't know for them yet), then - something bigger for two persons (attractive for the girls!), then...
    Started all that, from time to time - but only finished were a motorised camper, pedal-powered quadricycle and two kid-cars... Third kid-car is at the beginning of construction.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the film, I think that it is the mixture of documentary and acting components? Not all of the persons knew that they should be actors in one of the first Chaplin's comedies? He wasn't so popular in that era and maybe wasn't recognised...

Ciao,
    Zoran

Vanness and Rolfzoller like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice cars, I've never understood how Chaplin had the following and fortune it allowed him to amass. Bob

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THIS WENT TO JAPAN TOO

spacmid5_sm.jpg

BUT IT HAS A 4 IN IT NOT A TWIN

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Rolfzoller likes this.
  9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

HERE'S THE FRONT OF THE 1/4 MIDGET RACER

NOTE THE ALLOY FRONT DROP AXLE AND WHEELS

1:4 midfrt.JPG a1:4-5.JPG

THIS CAR WAS WON BY A NEWSPAPER BOY THAT TOOK IT HOME AND HIS MOTHER NEVER LET HIM DRIVE IT. A LITTLE KIDS RACING TIME CAPSULE

Rolfzoller and motoklas like this.
  10. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Bluto the Friend!
    It seems that my previous comment disappeared in some way or was erased...
    Both of cars looks to me like great toys for serious children and for unserious adults! Mabe, not of my size, but some more "standard" big boys?

The white one is my favourite, looks like it has a nose (bonnet ~ hood) like Packard and the red one is magnificent!

Good for original builders/owners to have them, but for you too as the owner of the great collection! Happy people who bought them from you!

Regards,
    Zoran

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THERE IS A PHOTO OF THE 1/4 MIDGET AND ME FOR SCALE
    ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE :)

I HAVE A LOT OF FUN WITH TOYS AND STILL PLAY WITH TRUCKS TOO:rolleyes:

motoklas likes this.
  12. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

====================================
    ...sooo, red 1/4 Midget isn't for me, neither for my son (37 yeras old, tall as I am, but a lot slimmer) - however, maybe for my granddaughter in Belgrade after some 6 years, or for my step-grandson here in Bern, after some 10 years!
    Zoran

13. Erik B

Erik B

from the web... tumblr_p26528bFTA1tk286eo1_1280.jpg

chriseakin and motoklas like this.
  14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

ANYBODY WANT A 1914 PROJECT

I HAVE A PRETTY NICE DE DION ENGINE AND GEARBOX

dedion.JPG

motoklas likes this.
  15. SR100

SR100

Said to be an early BMW photo by Zoltan Glass, arguably Europe's best automobile photographer in the 1930s. upload_2018-1-8_18-10-10.jpeg

Attached Files:

chriseakin, Rolfzoller and motoklas like this.
  16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Ya see...people texted back then too.:rolleyes:

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THERE ARE A LOT OF CARS IT COULD BE... MY GUESS IS FIAT BALLILA SPYDER THE STAGGARD SEATS DIDN'T HAPPEN OFTEN ON BMW 3/15 OR DIXI SPORT OR IHLE BODIES BMWS

VERY NICE IMAGE, THANK YOU.FOR POSTING IT.

18. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

However Chaplin amassed his fortune ... he sure kept quiet about it.

19. SR100

SR100

Here's another from the same series with the top partially up:
    [​IMG]
    Caption reads: "A photograph of a man using a typewrite whilst sat in a two-seater car, taken by Zoltan Glass during a race at the AVUS circuit, Berlin, in 1934". Note that in this pic, two sidemounted spares are visible and they appear to be of different sizes.

20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THE PHOTO SHOWS TWO DIFFERING TIRE REGARDING TREAD WARE

CAN'T SEE A SIZE ON EITHER.

THE BALLIA SPORT ROADSTER WAS BUILT ALL OVER. IN GERMANY THEY WERE BUILT AS NSU/FIAT AND APPEARED IN NSU CATALOG IN CZ THEY WERE "WALTER SPORT" IN FRANCE A SIMCA MODEL.

I WASN'T TRYING TO ARGUE ONLY POINT OUT SOME OBSERVATIONS

THERE WERE A LOT OF LITTLE SPECIAL BODIES BUILT TOO.

21. SR100

SR100

Bluto,
    I didn't think you were arguing. It's just me, spending way too much time on an obscure puzzle. It's not like it is the first question I've obsessed over in this thread... Feel free to ignore me (but I hope you don't, you have a lot of experience with the cars we discuss here.)
    Thanks for reminding me about NSU-Fiat & Simca, Walter Sport is new to me.
    My note about the sidemounts being different sizes may be an illusion. It looks like the near spare's rim does not rise above the cowl, but the far spare does. Is it just an illusion?

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

NOT TO WORRY
    ONE REASON I POST HERE ARE THE NUMBER OF FOLKS HERE
    IT TOO UGLY TO GO VERY FAR OUTSIDE
    ICE FISHING IS PRETTY BORING
    SO WE SIT AROUND THE TABLE CLOSE TO THE HEATER WITH A WARM DRINK AND HOPE FOR SPRING AND THE CHANCE TO DRIVE

SR100 likes this.
  23. fredvv44

fredvv44

I had to Google the Fiat. Very nice car but I didn't see any photo showing side mounted spares. Not to say that means anything regarding the discussion here.

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THE FIATS ARE VERY VERY SMALL INSIDE. I GO INTO A WALTER SPORT ONCE, NO STAGGARD SEATS, AND COULDN'T GET OUT.

NOT A PROBLEM IN MY WIFE'S NSU/FIAT WENSBERG SPIDER. I'VE EVEN DRIVEN IT.

topo roadster..jpg

WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE BALILLA KELCH BODIED COUPE RUNNING YET TO TEST IT ROOM. HERE'S WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE... OURS IS SITTING BACK IN THE STORAGE FOR NOW.

racing balilla coupe.jpg

kelchcoupe3:4f.jpg

FUN LITTLE CARS ..... ALL

JUST HAD TO FIND

Rolfzoller likes this.
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I think it's an illusion caused by the curvature of the cowling and angle of the picture.

26. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello there,
    Whatever is that small cabriolet - it is cute and I would like to have one. Probably that it is one of smaller Central Europe models, with a special body. It was really strange how many of such smaller automobiles had special bodies, built by smaller workshops, making them more luxurious or sporty.

The most popular base was small Fiat's automobiles, as Bluto wrote - made elsewhere under licence, but original Czechoslovakian smaller automobiles, too. There were a few such models as a good base for specials: Skoda, mentioned Walter (famous by its fire-arms), Tatra, Aero, Jawa...
    Just to know that Italian specials could be based on Fiat 500 Topolino (four-cylinder 500 cc) or Fiat Ballila (four-cylinder 900 cc - 1100 cc?), from the late thirties up to early fifties, with the second variant of Ballila - Fiat 1100. probably that a few dozens were built at any base, including many sport/racing specials known as "Barchetta", even some "Monoposto" racers...
    [​IMG] upload_2018-1-11_22-37-36.jpeg
    upload_2018-1-11_22-38-19.jpeg
    Could be a nice subject for spending cold winter hours on "googling" - and until then, a few photos.

Ciao,
    Zoran

Attached Files:

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THANK YOU FOR THE PHOTOS, ZORAN

THE GREAT THING IS THAT SO MANY OF THESE LITTLE CARS SURVIVE.
    MAYBE JUST BECAUSE THE OWNERS LOVED THEM.
    WE ARE THE 4TH OWNERS OF OUR TOPOLINO ROADSTER
    THE 3RD OF OUR BALILLA COUPE
    THEIR ORIGINAL OWNERS KEPT THEM FOREVER.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    motoklas likes this.
  28. SR100

SR100

upload_2018-1-14_4-11-33.png
    Bobby Kohlraush in the Austin 7-based racer called 'Rubber Duck'.

Attached Files:

29. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Unusual tail on that car, all the pictures (and the rare in "real life" sighting) "Duck" racers I have seen have this style of tail.

[​IMG]

30. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

I can't wait image.jpeg

chriseakin and motoklas like this.