Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's talk Cadillac 331's, 365 and 390's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. sheparj2

sheparj2

Does this mean that there is no difference between 1473449 and 1468025 heads? They just made a new cast or something? My LH is 1473449 but I found a 1468025 LH on ebay.

upload_2022-8-18_10-15-37.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  2. Check with the seller to verify which end the water pump is mounted on and the water temp sender port. I have 3 separate 59-60 engines with the same 1473449 castings on both sides which have been factory machined with left and right orientation... so go figure o_O Description is ' they look good ' but until they are actually crack tested...well , you know the rest... ;)

3. sheparj2

sheparj2

o_O Right. That head sure does”look good” is not reassuring when steam is billowing from the exhaust pipe…. I’m still wondering if 1473449 and 1468025 are exactly the same. Most people seem to assume one is left and one is right, but this is not the case.

4. Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  5. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

Does anyone know if there’s a difference among harmonic balancers? I have my 54 with a 54 balancer but I am using a 58 timing cover for the rubber seal and the rivet on the backside just kisses the timing cover. I had a little machined off the rivets so I’m hoping it gives me enough clearance but if not

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bump for my Caddy fix.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  7. c322348

c322348

I had that same problem and the engine shop had to make a spacer. It was just barely touching. I’ve got a 331 block with a 390 crank and not sure which balancer I used.

kadillackid and warbird1 like this.
  8. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

I ended up having my machinist take a little off of the rivets and that was enough for clearance

kadillackid likes this.
  9. cretin

cretin

I'm making some headway on my roadster. Hope to have some non engine related updates soon.
    as for the engine, 331 with 390 heads.
    Machine work is in progress. I have ordered the pistons and the cam. But, 12 weeks wait on the pistons, and 6-8 weeks on the cam, so I hope to be assembling the engine in November.
    I'm excited about it!

MOTOV8N, Jet96, Roothawg and 3 others like this.
  10. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

I am looking for a set of spacers like this to move the valve cover closer to the intake and clear my adjustable rockers. They would most likely be homeade. If anyone knows of someone who has a set or if anyone would be interested in trying to get a group buy together. The pictures motor is from the kookie car

Attached Files:

Roothawg likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  12. D Newcomb

D Newcomb

Found a good 390 for my '39 LaSalle, with the bellhousing spacer it should be a bolt in. overhead flywheel also. Newc

Roothawg likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

It’s not gonna be drilled for a pilot bearing fyi.

14. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

I actually spoke to him today and he’s going to prototype a set that moves them up closer to the intake so us guys with adjustable rockers can run whatever valve covers we want. On my engine personally and I’m sure many more moving them out has not helped, it just changed where they hit on the valve cover so i will be the test dummy for the new set

warbird1 and Roothawg like this.
  15. 1ton

1ton

I've got the coolest Cadillac V8 flathead It's a 1930 , 353 V8. It's got some weird shit like: There is no crank pulley. The camshaft has the pulley on it to drive the oil pressure lubed fan. The generator and water pump are driven by their own timing chain. There are two sets of points. Each set drives four cylinders independently because of some odd fire set up. Exhaust manifolds are on top, not the sides. It's a massive aluminum block with removable, cast iron cylinders. According to the service manual, it has roller lifters and the con rods are drilled to pressure feed the wrist pins. Has a cam operated vacuum pump at the rear of the camshaft, which runs the vacuum powered fuel pump, Gear reduction starter. Dual disc clutch. And a tiny, pto driven, air compressor pump on the trans. I've never seen another one. And, best of all, I just listed it in "parts for sale"

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  16. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

I have great news and a huge appreciation post that probably should be it’s own thread. I have worked with Dan from medice mfg on making a spacer for us caddy guys to adequately clear adjustable rockers. These spacers slide the covers closer to the intake instead of out like traditional spacers which wouldn’t work for us caddy guys. I received them today and I am super happy/excited to get back into my build and dial in the motor now without the rockers hitting the covers. Dan is a one man band who makes these spacers in his backyard machine shop in Pennsylvania. I was tired of getting the run around from the internet world on figuring this out and he was the first guy who was willing to work with me until we got it right and completely perfect. I now don’t have to try and locate a set of dimpled covers and can run whatever valve covers I want. Hopefully within the next week or so I’ll have a solid running video of my car to post for you all the enjoy. Dans website is https://medicemfg.com/ and like I said he is very responsive through the phone and now has the program available to make these for whoever whenever with a wonderful turn around. Please excuse my dirty engine bay, before the spacers we had the covers on and off a million times trying to figure out a solution so she’s in need of a good clean up. If anyone would like any other pictures I can send whatever. These are just mocked up I haven’t glued them down yet. But I have plenty of clearance now

Attached Files:

GW in Tx, Enbloc, kadillackid and 6 others like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Glad it worked out. I have watched his stuff on eBay and planned on buying a set. Now that I know they will clear, it’s a done deal.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  18. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

He may have not posted these on eBay yet, so if you were going to do it soon it may be worth it to call him. I’m glad someone looks at this thread as quickly as I do when there’s a new post

Barrelnose pickup and Roothawg like this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm still collecting parts. I just bought a fuel block off plate from Gear Drive the other day. This thread keeps me moving forward. I missed a few caddy mills at the Roc. I didn't see them until I was reviewing videos on youtube.

kadillackid likes this.
  20. cretin

cretin

Got some goodies in the mail today. Gets the juices flowing. Still waiting on pistons though.

5E243CDE-0143-49E4-B00C-593BDF8C38F0.jpeg

21. Great thread!

rod1 likes this.
  22. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What you got there ,Teaser?

cretin likes this.
  23. cretin

cretin

Originally, I had planned to go with the Isky 270HL because it was readily available.
    However, when I went to order it, everyone was out of stock.
    So I ended up going with the Schneider 140H.

D62F1E84-A479-4B83-A5F5-61E6CC8F22F0.jpeg

24. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cretin, where did you order your pistons?

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Keep in mind that Cadillac uses a 1.6:1 rocker, so your numbers will increase a tad. Your lift will be more like .480".

kadillackid and warbird1 like this.
  26. cretin

cretin

I ordered them from Ross Racing Pistons. They should be ready around Nov. 8

Yes, I am aware, but thanks for mentioning it just in case. I found it strange that they based it on a 1:5 ratio.
    I spoke with my machinist before I ordered it, and I dropped the cam off to him on Tuesday, so he can do his thing.

27. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I picked up what I think is a 365 caddy engine the other day but not sure exactly which one it is just yet I can tell you it does not have a spin on oil filter and from what I can tell it’s 58 or 59 era I think it will end up with a blower and a stick in one of my hot rods maybe even my old model t coupe maybe I do have enough 390 parts I’ve gathered up over the years to build a real good engine

rod1 likes this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Take a look at my 390 build post and it will show where the numbers are located on the block.

CDV390 likes this.
  30. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

did you zero deck the piston to block height?