Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see your favorite shift knobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roosters hot rods, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Muttley

Muttley

You cant beat the old Hurst four speed knob.

[​IMG]

harris73085 and JB_roadrage like this.
  2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Still love the Hurst Pistol Grip
    [​IMG]

3. Nice work! I remember I made some aluminum pedal pads in metal shop class back in high school for my old Cal Bug. I used a cardboard tube from an empty roll of paper towels for a mold to form a rod and sand cast it. I brought in some empty pop cans from home and we melted them down for the aluminum to cast the rod. After the rod was made, I cut it in half on the band saw, then set in for the machining.

I turned the rod down a little to smooth it out and make it evenly round. Next, I knurled them so they looked like a fat short ratchet handle. After the knurling was finished, I machined the center out so each rod had a cut-out notch which gave a nice flat area to mount them.

The following weekend I took the pedal assembly out of my Bug and brought it in to class. I cut off the stock pedals and welded a small strip of flat stock cross wise on the pedals. The top of the pedals looked like a "T". Next I drilled two holes in the flat stock. I cleaned up the whole assembly and gave it a quick coat of flat black spray paint. After it dried, I put the aluminum pedals up to the new pedal mounts and marked the holes. I drilled and tapped them, then used bolts to attach them. They looked pretty slick! I installed them after school that day and they worked great!

For the last part of the project I used an old skateboard wheel for a sand cast mold. After it was cast, I machined the flat edge of the wheel and knurled it. Then I drilled a hole in the middle and my aluminum roller pedal was done. It all matched up and looked professionally made. All my friends wanted me to make them a set, too. But, the whole project took me almost a month of class time!

My shop teacher really liked the project and gave me an A+! He also took pictures of them and posted them on the shop idea board. After we got out of school, one of my friends was a shop assistant and he worked in the metal shop for quite a few years. He said the pictures were up on the wall until the school discontinued the shop program in the mid 90s. It really is too bad that these kind of programs are gone. Kids today can diagnose computer problems and go through a hard video game like nothing, but they don't even know how to fix a flat tire on their bike....................sad!

Thanks Mr. Schrank for teaching me in Metal Shop. Your class was one of the best things about high school! E

4. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Hand carved

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      99.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      99 KB
      Views:
    • 15_2.jpg
      15_2.jpg
      File size:
      101.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Why do you have mannequin hands at your house?

6. Don't you have one of these on a shelf somewhere? If not, I'll bring you one.
    [​IMG]

7. skunx1964

skunx1964

[​IMG]

old pbr tap knob, old ass 8 ball, and a weedeater piston w a nut JBed into it.

and i love that hurst fridge handle, awesome, lol.

8. sun down

sun down
    from tx

[​IMG]

sorry, I screwed the pix up

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  9. sun down

sun down
    from tx

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I heard Hurst had a Glow in the dark shifter ball,,has anyone ever seen one of those?

11. Doc.

He & I have spoken about the details. It's going to be a stunner.

JH

12. H3O

H3O

i like pistons. gonna have one on my truck from an air compressor.

13. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Where might I get one of these hand carved shifters? Those are bad ass. I love the skull.

Thanks,
    Chad

14. This one was in my 33 pickup...was a rolling rock tap handle

Attached Files:

15. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

wow some really cool stuff guys..i like the hand made ones that you keep forever..

16. Now I know where they get the term "a splitting headache".:D

17. YES! I found it! And I am ordering it. I had one when I was much younger and it was great shifter knob. A Brooklyn, NY Brewery Rheingold beer, the saying went that men that drank Rheingold could also eat nails.
    It messures 3 3/8 x 2 3/8 Nice size for my palm.
    [​IMG]

Here's a better shot of it, it tappers out from the top. The place I'm getting mine from is 1/3 the price.
    http://www.neonsign.com/eng_taphand...n=eng_taphandles&item=rheingoldextradryvintap

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  18. vintage tin

vintage tin

Cool stuff.
    My favorite is the worn in, and used shifter knob I kept from my old 62 belair 409 car. Check my avatar.

19. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Here's mine in the wagon...
    [​IMG]
    It's got bolts in the neck (like me) and staples (like I had) and a gotee (like me)
    [​IMG]

20. I've got one of those, it's a Jime Litwalk design.

21. The one currently being abused

[​IMG]

22. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

got a set of aluminum knuckles! polished them then drilled and tapped them and secured with a acorn nut on the palm stop mounted flat so you can lock your hand in when shifting. if i wreck while my hands in there though goodbye wrist.

23. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

24. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I don't know if I have a pic of it in my car, but I have this

25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I have a Three Stooges Beer Bottle shift knob, a repop Ford clock knob, an Oly tap handle, and a Coors tap handle. Everything else is OEM.

Tap handles work, but ya gotta fiddle with threads and/or adaptors - set screws are chintzy and they don't really handle the chore on a longterm basis.

"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian"

dj

26. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Here are some of mine. hand painted, glow in the dark. average 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

This is on my truck and I have an identical one on the hot rod.
    Made from purple heart wood with bronze insert.
    Wood is warm to the feel in the winter..

Attached Files:

28. Been shown before but here's mine. My friend made this out of 20ga. AK steel.

Attached Files:

29. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

hey whitewall those are some cool looking eyeball knobs... sweet

30. 30Abone

30Abone

[​IMG]

I shift nothing! NOTHING!

Your a bunch of jolley jokers