The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.
pure function no frills freehand dress up for my buddies 27 T
I started messing around with a piece of scrap on my English wheel the other day. It turned into a compound reverse curve clock.
So we've been blocking out epoxy primer, it sure is nice to be able to rotate the car where you need it instead of sanding upside down on the bottoms of drip rails.
But then you walk past the Driver's A pillar and see a hole that shouldn't be there.
I don't know how I've missed this before. We did have this same repair done to the other side, I guess with the roof damage confined to that same side I must have not thought this side was suspect. Goes to show, check ALL problem areas, especially if issues show on one side.
Inside the hole has a minimal amount of surface rust, especially for 64 years old. Safe to say the damage was caused by water/dirt accumulation between the center structure (the one we're remaking) and the outer skin. Oh well, it's been a while since I've had a back up and punt moment. Glad this was found before the green kandy went on.
Starting to make the new replacement for the inside, using 14 gauge cold rolled steel.
Quite a bit if stretch added for the part to match the original..
Rough shaped on the MH19, tuned up a bit with body hammers, punches used as anvils, and various other implements of destruction. Trimmed and fitted:
All ready for welding.…..
Tacked using the TIG:
Epoxy primer added:
Now to get our outer patch fabricated.. The corner is going to need a GRUNCH of shrinking.. We started on the Baileigh, but the dies are only going to get us so far. So some tuck shrinking with some heat for persuasion was used..
A tipping wheel in the bead roller was used to mark our bend line, and an upper press brake die used as an anvil to hammer the flanges over..
Some hammer action to stretch the corner flange so it will tip the full 90*
I missed some in process pictures here, but various hammers, anvils, punches, and other implements of destruction were employed to give us our basic shape...
After a bit of fine tuning, it is trimmed and fitted into the A Pillar...
......and the windshield stainless is test fit for good measure..
The finished piece is media blasted (Barton Garnet) so the SPI epoxy primer will have a good bite. The inside is primed as a bit more preventative measure over factory....
The flange is quite small compared to what we normally plug weld, so we opted for a .169 drill bit to keep the heat away from the edge...
In order to clean he primer out the inside of our plug weld holes, we flattened and backfaced our drill bit to mimic an end mill....
Does a good job of giving us nice clean metal for a good weld..
These little fiddly patches with huge amounts of shape in them are the ones that always amaze me the most.
It's hard enough making something like that when you've got something to hang onto and lever around, doing it with a 3" square bit of metal just makes everything harder yet.
Excellent result, sir.
Fixing some 31 chevy fenders this week. The front edges were damaged. I made these in the Baker a few weeks ago.
Nice work Jeff!
Had some PM's asking to clarify the forming process that I missed getting pics of... Did a couple time lapse videos, first shows the shrinking of the corner. The Vise Grip tucking tool, torch, and hammer is used to get the corner to come down about a 20* angle, then the two flanges were folded, which gives us one big tuck. At that point wide VEE is heated up and the high spots of the flange corner is hammered back into itself. Repeat for the next high spot, until the corner is folded where you want it.
Here's the corner shrink complete...
Then the barrel end hammer is used to make the joggle creases by using an upper die from our press brake as a post dolly. That’s the basic process.
If you find the time lapse too fast, you can change playback speed on YouTube to slow things down a bit..
Progress on the left.
I welded the right side in yesterday...
Nicely done Jeff!
Picked up a new set of dies for the Lennox for a different shape...
here checked to the sample we were sent...
forming a 19 gauge sample on the Lennox:
Nice Robert! I did that job by hand with a Masonite buck. Thankfully I was only making patches. I assume you’re getting ready to make a bed floor or some other large panel?
A buddy is using a 2008 replacement bed floor to put in a 66 Ford pickup. He has some ribs that stop in the middle and other that change width. So we’re going to make full length beads all the same width as per 1966 out of a newer part.
I really like the piece you made for the handle on your Lennox. I will definitely copy that!
Here’s a better option Jeff, holes in the plate and either a threaded or clamp on spring pin to lock the position. I just haven’t gotten past the design stage yet....
"Not to be operated by Fuckwits".........I love it!
Thanks Robert. I'll put that on the someday when I have time list lol.
Love the warning sticker going to need several of them for work.
Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.
Flattening and backfacing a drill bit to clean paint off the adjacent panel in a plug weld hole...
MP&C would that sticker be from AVE on YouTube?
No, I had about 50 or so printed up at Bonehead Graphics...
I love watching people make up panels. It is majical to me, and hoping one day I can do something similar. Took these pics at Hershey this week. I believe they are original NOS panels for mid 60's Ferraris.
A few more...
Daytona (yellow) and Dino 246
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the up close detail pics.
O/T for the board, but not for this thread. Hippy looking dudes building a Handpan. This guy could do the body work on your car and "tune it up" at the same time. How anybody worked out how to build one of these in the first place is beyond me.
I forgot to post pics of the finished Lakester.
Separate names with a comma.