Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's See Some Examples of Rear-Mounted Radiators! Who's Got 'Em?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stlouisgasser, Aug 8, 2009.

1. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Though it'd be interesting to see examples of rear-mounted radiators. It's a great way to clean up an engine compartment of a large, ugly component that just seems to aid in heating up the entire engine compartment! I remember about 20-25 years ago, there used to be a 1956-57 Blue Ford Crown Victoria(?) Drag car that use to show up for Nostalgia races that had what looked to be a rather well-engineered radiator in the trunk. Much like re-locating a battery to the trunk, this seems like a great way to subtract serious poundage from the very nose of the car and put it in the rear to aid in weight transfer. I've always loved the Mooneyham-Sharp '34 Ford Coupe with it's radiator-less grill shell up front. A radiator up there would have killed the look up there on that car! Grab a Summit/Jeg's catalog and you'll find several electric water pumps nowadays that have to make the whole job much simpler. Anyway, let's see some!

2. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

C'mon now, there's gotta be some well-executed examples of rear-mounted radiators out there! Let's see 'em!

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

I know Littleman's Death's Doorstep has a rear mounted rad...and my 30 A project will soon....
    And yes,I realize this thread is like five years old...lol

4. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Apparently not that many examples out there. Not HAMB suitable, but the VW Vanagon waterboxers had the remote radiators, fwiw.

Not having a clue about the systems, but I would assume you'd need a beefier water pump in order to keep the water in the 6' long hoses flowing under the car and through the engine.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Why does everybody feel the need to hide needed components of an automobile? Make them look good. I can under stand that. I don't understand hiding them.

Fortunateson likes this.
  6. scrubba

scrubba

There was the Dodge Deora show truck. That vehicle had a rear mounted radiator as it was hidden within the cargo area . I know it was tested on the street for short distances . scrubba

7. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

look up Baja trucks.... hey always have bed mounted or rear mounted radiators

8. 55driver

55driver

Here's a couple Corvairs I saw last summer... 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  9. I don't think this really what one would call rear mounted, but it is set back 5 ft. behind the grille shell.

Attached Files:

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

All the off road racers mount 'em in back. i agree with "make the parts look good !!!"

4TTRUK

11. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Uh dude, what sort of a forum are you on? Why hide door handles? Headlights?

Because they're there, and because moving something elsewhere is seen by someone as a challenge.

Vive la difference!

12. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

really old thread, but...
    I'm about to do the opposite. I have a transverse rear engine in my long-dormant C Cab rod and going to front-mount the rad under a Mack/Renault style front cowl.

13. I have a rear mounted engine with a front and side radiator.
    The standard Chev waterpump does a good job of pushing the coolant through about 15"of alloy tube and 2 radiators.
    The car is basically a Little Red Wagon tribute but isn't HAMB friendly
    It covers a lot of street miles with the longest trip being 250 miles in the height of our summer. Think 100degrees F.

14. spanners

spanners

Nice to see you on here Zuffen. It's a pity you can't show it on this site. It's a smick bit of gear.

15. Ziggster

Ziggster

Surprised I’ve not seen this thread yet, but I think there may be others. Will be having a rear mounted rad on my speedster build, so had been doing research in the past.

16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Since I like old dead threads:
    In the 70's, Cotton Werksman had one in his rear-engined blown-Hemi '27T(SpeedSport-like streeter), & Racer-X has one in his '29 Chrysler blown-Nitro*Big*Hemi.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    Just Gary likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36