Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Let's go shopping at JC Whitney! in 1958

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 11, 2012.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Place your order! We could always find the index easily, because there was an order form glued in right at that spot in the catalog, so it would naturally open to the index.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Do what Squirrel did and show us the entire JCW 66 catalog. Thanks Squirrel for one of the most interesting threads.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Mufflers for every occasion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

4 pages a day isn't too difficult, so far. We'll see what happens.

5. Can count on the HAMB to throw back to first days of the hobby. Oh yeah, my first car had fender skirts that were from the factory. Hardly any of my friends did though. But they didn't order from JCW. I'm still wondering what happened to half the boxes I ordered from them.

6. squirrel

squirrel

This is exhausting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

oops, forgot yesterday...I'm out of town for the long robot weekend.

There sure is lots of exhaust stuff here, must have been big business back then before they invented aluminized pipe and stainless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

The daily fix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Finally out of the exhaust section. Dig the copper plated valve covers! I guess that trend didn't last long, I've never seen any.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Now we're getting into the good customizing parts...they sure had a lot of this stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black_Sheep and Stogy like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

mmmm...chrome plated tire pump!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Sure wish we could still get that upholstery fabric. And it looks like those Ford steering arms have been around for a long, long time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. squirrel

squirrel

Hot rod parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

Manifold. And slicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Back in 1960 when my dad bought me my Model A,Whitney was the only place we knew about to buy parts from. We bought all of our engine parts,from them as well as a lot of supplys like top dressing,and 600 wt trans oil. Later we discovered that Montgomery Ward had a special catalog for Model A parts. When I built my Model B engine,I bought all my speed parts from Whitney. In the 70's I bought lots of VW engine parts,and custom parts from them.

osage orange likes this.
  16. COOP

COOP

Last year I pickd up a '60 J C W catalog at a rummage sale for a quarter. Couldn't believe some of the stuff in there. Can you believe a good running complete flathead V8 for $125. Used to buy a lot of cheap stuff from them. (only 15 or 16 at the time) I bought a set of twist on hubcap locks to protect my old Dodge hubcaps with their three bar spinners. Driving down the road one day and my hubcap passed me and headed for the ditch. Couldn't figure how that could happen....... then came the shudder of a flat tire, as the lock pulled the stem off my tube. Live and learn. Whitney offered a tour of thier facility on one of the Hot Rod Power Tours a few years ago. Kind of a let down, thought it would have been bigger than that. A lot of thier stuff is drop shipped from the original manufacturer. Still kind of a cool trip down memory lane.

17. I recall visiting a store on the near South side maybe in the early 90's, It was around 20th and State, something like that. I think it was Warshawski's right before they closed the downtown location. All the stuff was in boxes on the floor, rooms of it. I think I bought some fuzzy dice. :)

18. squirrel

squirrel

Let's go racing! Name brand parts...but they don't tell you the name

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. scotsmerc64

scotsmerc64

This is very very cool. Yet another reason why i firmly believe that being born in 1977 was clearly a mistake of some kind!!!! I picked up a JCW catalog last summer and it is very disappointing to see what they have evolved into! Thanks for sharing!

20. squirrel

squirrel

More hot rod goodies to make your car go as fast as the racers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  21. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Had a used car lot in the 70's with my dad , he would always order those white walls. Not the tire but a set of 4 white walls. He would break the bead I think to install them and they worked great sold a lot of cars with fake WW but they wernt fake they were real ,kinda like a strapon ??? I recall buying exhaust cutouts for my Cobra Jet I seen them listed above for $3.95 but I paid a hellof alot more for them in the 70's I think with inflation they soared to $5.95 . Yup a pair of exhaust dumps and a coil of flex pipe set me back like $20 maybe $22 with shipping

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

Thats stuff i like. And it reminds me of Dad. The art work is similar , however I didn't see it until the 60's. thanks Bud.

23. Found this interesting, air cleaner housing with a built-in impeller. I never saw this before, looks gimmicky.
    [​IMG]

24. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

Back in the late 70s early 80s my brother and I would head on down to JC Whitney/Warshawsky and spend hours rummaging through their "bargain bins" and picking up cheap white box parts (one of which contained geniune Stewart Warner gauges fwiw) from the will call counter. The parking lot across the street always had several shady looking guys that could do bodywork on your car while you wait. Just buy the bondo, beer and give em a five spot.

25. Read them until the pages fell apart. I'm sure my '50 Ford in '61 had something from them. I like the cam's, screw lift and duration, it's either 3/4 or full race.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  26. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Jesus Christ Whitney! I want some of this stuff!...

27. If I studied my homework like I studied the J. C. Whitney catalog, I would be a Rhodes scholar!

osage orange likes this.
  28. HOLY COW, Squirrel..

Do you have the page where tube grilles are shown?.... My original '49 Shoebox which I am duplicating now, had a tube grille that came from J C Whitney.......it was our BIBLE back then....

29. squirrel

squirrel

The image files are here

http://www.selectric.org/jcw1958/

I added the index pages at the top of the list. Notice that the page image files only go up to 84 right now, I'm adding 4 new pages every day, plus or minus.

But if you want a sneak peak at a page or two, let me know

30. squirrel

squirrel

tube grilles...pages 58-60

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.