Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets Build Dad a Model A on '32 Rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '54Caddy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

After selling his '55 Merc last spring, my father was looking for a new project. We decided to build a clean, traditional 50's style Model A on 32 rails. This is our first prewar Ford build and we are both very excited to get this one going.

The plan:
    -30 Model A Coupe
    -32 Rails
    -331 Cadillac
    -Lasalle trans
    -Banjo rear

We started back in October, taking a 800 mile road trip to NJ and PA buying some coupe body pieces and an original set of 32 rails...well mostly original. The rear third was replaced. The rails were twisted and dented and bent, but we couldnt be happier!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then came across a decent body and a bunch of spare parts from a now great friend! Thanks Randy!

The body still needs quite a bit of work, but its a good start. Here we are picking it up
    [​IMG]

And at its new home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the 331 Cadillac V8 we will be running. It has 60k original miles and runs like a top. Plans are a good cleaning, some fresh paint and a few speed parts.
    [​IMG]

2. looks like a great start

those frame rails will need some work

3. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Great plan for the coupe. Keep us posted.

4. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

We started with the rails. They were in pretty tough shape, especially the front third. We decided to replace the damaged sections. I drew the frame up in CAD and cut the new sections out on my CNC plasma.
    [​IMG]

We then welded the pieces together and ground them up.
    [​IMG]

Welded to the old rails
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After both rails were repaired and straightened, it was time to get them on the fab table and square them up.
    [​IMG]

We then installed a Model A front crossmember
    [​IMG]

5. edisonfire

edisonfire

Like the direction, this will be cool

6. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looking forward to this build. keep us posted

8. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Next was to set the cowl and pinch the rails. We also pie cut and formed the rails to follow the contour of the Model A body (Thanks to Moose, his thread was very helpful). We made a plywood template of the subrails to help get the contour
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After many cuts and welds, its taking shape
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Set the cowl and whats left of the subframe on to take a look
    [​IMG]

I will continue with updates this afternoon.

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Look forward to your build as I'm planning my coupe. The Front Crossmember looks like it's too far back as the frame horns look like they extend out quite a ways. What's you plan on the front suspension?

10. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Funny you mention the frame horn length, we were thinking the same thing. I tracked down the original frame dimensions from a few different places and the crossmember is in the exact stock location.

We'll be running a 4" dropped Model A axle, posies heavy spring, 37 split bones, and 46 spindles and brakes

11. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Now that the frame is all pinched, contoured and squared, its time to put in our crossmember. We chose a 46 Ford X-member as we had a 46 parts car. Here it is cut out of the 46 and sand blasted.
    [​IMG]

We set the X member in the frame to size it up. It fit suprisingly well.
    [​IMG]

We figured out where we wanted it and started cutting and setting the rear
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wanted to use the stock pedals and location so we set the cowl and lined it up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear welded in
    [​IMG]

Thats where we are at right now. Next step is to design some boxing plates to tie in the front of the X member and cut them on the CNC.

12. scoggman

scoggman

Dude, lookin awesome! I'd like to try this someday!

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

kool....looking good

14. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

very cool, subscribed.

How's that little Lincoln holding up? Is that a 110 unit?

15. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I love that little Lincoln. Its a 220v model 180. I also have a squarewave for anything I need to tig

16. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Nice, I'm envious. I want a tig in a bad way.

17. Uptown83

Uptown83

Nice project. I'll be following. I happen to have a rough 32 frame that has the front horns cut off would you be willing to share the autocad file of the frame pieces by chance? I have a plasma table as well.

18. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Sure. Send me a pm with your email. Love your 32, very nice!

19. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Yesterday, Dad picked up his trans. Its a 37 Lasalle. Check out the custom hot rod shifter! He also got the hard to find throwout bearing sleeve and Cadillac/Olds flywheel. We picked up an old aluminum trans adapter from our friend Randy (I need to grab pics from dad). Dad started stripping the body down to bare metal as well, you can see it in the background.
    [​IMG]

20. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Not much work has gotten done recently, we got slammed with a blizzard over the weekend and the clutch arm broke on my plow truck so I spent the weekend dropping the trans.

Anyway, I did find some time to cut boxing plates for in front and back of the 46 X-member. We will be welding them in this week and getting the 331 set in place to make mounts!
    [​IMG]

21. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

We got some more work done over the weekend. The front of the X-member is tied into the frame and roughed in and we started welding in the rear boxing plates
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A huge thanks goes out to Steadfast Mfg for donating the rear subrail kit and shipping it very quickly! I am really impressed with this kit. It is very high quality, fits like a glove and looks great! Thanks again guys!
    [​IMG]

We started to install the subrails. Unfortunately, I only took one picture before my phone died. I will take more pics tonight
    [​IMG]

After we got the subrails on both sides, we set the body on. The rear of the body still needs to drop down a little but its close. My buddy took one pic and sent it over to me. Sorry for the low quality, will take more pics tonight.
    [​IMG]

We will be working on the rear subrails more tonight.

22. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Lookin' good!!! I have a set of the Steadfast rails but am having to replace the bottoms of the B pillars and the patch the subrails so I will have something to weld to...

23. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Heres a couple more pics of the body on the frame. You can see how nice the Steadfast kit follows the frame and the inside of the body.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The subrails look fantastic. They were donated?
    Jesus, that was nice of them.

25. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Yea, Steadfast Mfg had a thread dedicated to Model A projects on 32 rails. They were kind enough to choose one project that they would donate a rear sub rail kit to. We were lucky enough to win!

Heres a lnk to the contest thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770769

26. What a cool project nicely done.

Frenchy

27. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sweet!

28. draider

draider
    from Texas

Wow, this build is off to a great start. Subscribed for the awesomeness to come.

29. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Thanks guys! We worked on the rear subrails this weekend and got them tied into the rear crosspiece. After some measuring, cutting and grinding, it ties together nicely.
    [​IMG]

The rear crossmember will bolt to the frame after it is boxed
    [​IMG]

All welded in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the rear all tied in, we decided to move to rebuilding the cowl. The cowl was disassemble when we bought it. The cowl feet were rough and we have a better firewall and and set of feet we will be using.
    Here is the firewall.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up
    [​IMG]

Sandblasted up the shoes and cut out the front for the 3/4" channel
    [​IMG]

New lower skin brackets
    [​IMG]

It was getting late so we mocked it up and called it a night.
    [​IMG]