Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's be honest here, prior to your HAMB life what era were you into?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

No shit, same age, An I'm actually building a 27 3 Window myself.. well for the last ten yrs... Wouldn't know of a windshield frame for one Would ya?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

1970's........Muscle cars and dirt tracks. Hotrods around 2005ish. About the time the kids left the nest.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Born in '75. Got into cars in my early teens. Troy Trepanier was an up and comer, Boyd was the shit. I really liked their style. Troy with his crazy low, smooth and tubbed cars and Boyd with the 'Boyd Look'. Then, about age 15-16, I went to Nats North in Kzoo and really started to dig the traditional cars.

That and birds...still into birds. It keeps me sane. And it's a lot less expensive of a hobby than cars. :D

Roothawg and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. jim snow

jim snow

Same here. Graduated high school in 76. I also would add Cragar S/S wheels too. Snowman

Roothawg and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

6. Hay, you aren't that Guy my dad ran off are ya?

Jeff Norwell and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I never terrorized that part of the country.....I was in the VW mecca.....SoCal!

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a 57 model. Some of my likes have remained fairly consistant over the years, some of the influences are still there too. I was influenced by a 34 Packard at age 14 and that sort of runs my daily life to this day. I've done a baker's dozen of em from the ground up and worked on and serviced too many to recall, as well as other high zoot depression-era cars. For me personally it was muscle cars and drag racing. Remember when $6000 was a lot of money for a Boss 302? The cars I had over the years, including a 69 Boss 302, reads like a who's who of any Mecum or B-J auction list. For hot rods I was influenced by a roll your own approach. I remember feeling really hi tech when I shagged my 1st mig welder (!) because everything prior was OA or stick. For a time I was pretty heavy into drag racing be it street or track. Yeah, street racing can be dumb and dangerous but I have no scars and no regrets, and call it luck but no record either ;). I got away from muscle for a time but there's a GTO in my life today. Had so many 69 Camaros and tubbed so many 67-9 versions that to this day I wouldn't walk across the street to look at a ZL-1. I thought billet was interesting and unique, for less than a year or so. Li'l John and Boyd were trend setting but who'd have thought it would become an industry fed by Asian production and an army of "me too"s. I found this hangout in '05 and it took a few months to see how much we all had in common as well as how different "the life" really can be. Not my place to say but the things we hold dear died in 71 not 65. The insurance industry infected the auto industry, the rear engine dragster changed the face of professional competition (maybe for the better), NASCAR became more NASC and less CAR about a dozen years later as well, or maybe the mid 80s, I dunno.

The only STANDARD we seem to embrace is a variant of some old car from a time when many of us weren't even born yet. I still like a good drag race, a real street race, the pain and pleasure of nitro, a glistening American Classic, a low and frosty kustom, and the passing aroma of burnt fossil fuel. Maybe I've always been here after all.

williebill, loudbang, i.rant and 3 others like this.
  9. Born in the late 80s. I was really into the late model muscle scene in high school. Had a nitrous ws.6 that ran high 10's as my daily and also dabbled with the german cars, BMW's mostly and mostly M3's. But grew up learning from my grandpaw who was traditional hot rod all the way. And we also did some brit sports cars and a few drag cars (gassers/super stock), but mostly pre-war fords or 50s stuff (he liked all the cool stuff). So thats why Ive got a gasser being built and a 60s mild custom. Thanks to him showing me what was really cool not a passing trend.

Roothawg likes this.
  10. mlake01

mlake01

Nope - sorry, sure don’t. They are a relatively common car though, should be able to round one up somewhere. There are a lot of similar cars with shared parts out there too - Graham, Paige, etc. You could probably build one from a starting point like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Born in '68. One grandad restored model T's with my uncle, the other grandad built dirt track cars (modified's back then)
    Dad was a paint and body man on the side so there was always a project of some sort around.
    Then I found dads stash of old car mags from the 50's and 60's... read those untill the pages crumbled in my hands, then i got my own subscription.
    I always loved the 50-60 hot rods... classic styling and go fast goodies... I loved the idea of "sleepers".
    I couldn't afford to have a 32 ford...even back in the early 80's. So my first "hot rods" were G body Chevy's and Pontiac's... front engine V8's and rear wheel drive... and most importantly, they were affordable and fairly reliable in the mid to late 80's. Basic small block platform with plenty of inexpensive go fast goodies available.
    So while all of my contemporaries were wearing parachute pants, listening to flock of seagulls and getting stupid haircuts I was out in the driveway stuffing a 350 into my 78 pontiac grand prix and polishing the Crager 5 spokes...
    All the while dreaming of the day I could have a 5 window coupe done in the late 50's - early 60's style
    Chappy

Roothawg likes this.
  12. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I graduated from high school in 1962 and in high school I always wanted an older 30's/early 40's car. Dad had a 1940 Ford two door that he traded for a new Nash in 1949. I whined that he should have kept it, he said "it would have been totally worn out by now", he also said "it had too much power for the chassis":) I had the opportunity (but not the cash) in the mid sixties to pick up a 34 Ford Coupe or a 40 Ford with a Pontiac engine for not a lot of money. I was never able (or chose to buy cars that I could just drive) to satisfy my desire for an old car (or started to have the tools and place to work on one) until the early 70's, that's when I bought a basket case 38 Chevy, see the avatar. I guess I built it with a 70-80's look, because that's what was in Hot Rod Magazine. A friend did the interior in diamond tuck velour because that was in vogue. I really wanted just pleats, I should have been more vocal. I am not as traditional as many on this forum, but I predated a lot of you:) The Studebaker will have a Bonneville vibe and since I am using stock suspension/steering I guess that is "traditional".

dana barlow likes this.
  13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Driver's license in 1974. Loved the 55-57 Chevies! My first dozen cars were different Chevies. My first was a 57 ragtop, I drove to school for a couple years, then wanted to build it right! So I quickied mark_557_1 001.jpg mark_557_4 001.jpg mark_557_3 001.jpg 55_Olds 003 (2).jpg a 57 hardtop, and rebuilt the ragtop. 302 with angle plug heads, roller cam and rockers, 12 1/2-1 pistons, single 4 bbl, 4 speed, and narrowed 12 bolt with 4.88's.
    Then I wanted to learn more about doing bodywork the right way, and went to work for an old time 50's customizer, John Pazsik. Well, that just RUINED me! Built a chopped 55 Olds while working for him, and never looked back.

14. 26Troadster

26Troadster

being born in 61 i have a wide range in my likes. pretty much if it caught my eye it was on. i never really played muscle car but we would use what ever cheap tudor body, to as we called it hot rod up. never really owned to drive anything older then my 63 chevy truck and my plastic fantastic 26/27 roadster slow build. i have a big liking to just about anything my age or older be it hot rod, custom, or a bad ass street car. a, i don't like is these big ugly over sized rims with rubber band tires.

Roothawg likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

I grew up going to rod runs in the 70's and early 80's in the back seat of a chopped 33 tudor. I am a fan of both resto-rod styles of that period, as well as a bit more radical with candy brandywine paint and lots of chrome.

But my major influence of the style I like from the first time I saw it until this very day is a 32 roadster built by Harold Duffey.

DuffyRoadster.jpg

It has an Ardun equipped flathead, Kinmont brakes, vintage Stewart Warners, and a quickchange. Began in the 70's and still not all the way complete, this car set my style preference ever since.

wicarnut, stanlow69, bct and 2 others like this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I was building "patina" hot rods a long time before they became popular.. We just called them "Beaters"...

upspirate, vtx1800, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  17. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Early 60's. Into Customs,"sleepers" and fast cars.

29 with stationwagon top 001.jpg

18. Hmmmmmnnnnnn in the middle to late'80s into the early '90s I was living in the rain forest in southern Mexico. So I was building as late model as I could swing mud trucks. I did build an S-10 sleeper in the late '90s. I was driving an '88 S-10 to and from work. Someone bet me that I could not build an 11 second car that could be driven every day. 2800 lbs and a stout 350. I won the bet of course.

When I joined the HAMB I was building a channeled sectioned '53 Effy, a custom with a twist. Not low and slow. Kind of across between a hot rod pickup and a custom, not really trad in the strictest sense but what really is. LOL

In the early '80s I built a plane Jane'68 Torino. Not a fast back or a GT just a bench seat, am radio, dog dish hubcap, granny mobile. With a Boss 429 4 speed.

Prior to that most of the cars I owned and drove were pre '68 (mostly pre '64) cars. Mostly '60s style like I build now. Lots of first gen effies and pre '66 C-10s. My vehicle of choice it seems.

Traditional? Depends on who you ask I guess. Lots of HAMBers do not accept '60s style cars as traditional.

wicarnut, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Born in '69, so I also grew up with the 70's World of Wheels tours raised white letter, van craze, show chrome stuff. Started building a 55-1st Chevy PU in the early 80's, so it was shades of grey, fake Centerlines, raised white letters, raked in the rear. It was a farm-boy 80's build. It quickly spiraled into a much higher quality build, but had the 80's vibe because that is what we built.

I grew up rural, so we all had trucks. This led to a parade of trucks, pinacled by a 66 Chevy fleet-short, big window, Pro Street. 454 auto. It was sold at about 85% complete to make a down payment on my first house. There were lots of car builds in between, of all varieties.

I've never really loved, or hated, any genre of car. I appreciate the sport in its entirety. I gravitate towards fat fenders and 50's era cars though. Always have.

bchctybob likes this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well said.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  21. I have ALWAYS been a fan of the early to mid 60s style of hot rod and custom. I love full fendered 20s-30s cars with white interior and white top inserts and running boards with overpowered chromed engines and whatever else you can remove and chrome. I was surprised to find the HAMB was right down my alley many years ago, thinking I was the only guy left who loved that style. I never liked the pro-street and monochrome and trim removing customs of the 80s. I admit I did get into muscle cars and Vettes for a while in the 70s-80s and even had a crushed velvet interior in my coupe in the 70s, but I soon found out I did not like the style. Even if I am the only guy in town that likes the early 60s style, then thats ok with me. I don't get many thumbs up driving my old coupe on the street here, but thats ok......I still like it.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

WW2 was started an a little after that me too in 42. Erector sets etc. Love taking stuff apart n rebuilding,an cars in the 50s. Lots of old cars,plus too many racecars,still have my high school ride I put together first in 59. PlyConChurch.jpg

23. LOL I still like crushed velvet. The wife and I once bought a '46 Chevy sedan (sans motor) with crushed velvet interior and head liner complete the the dingle balls at the corner of every diamond, just because we liked the interior, well that and it was already built and ready to cruise less the motor and tranny.

Low ride-ah don't go to fast now.

Oldioron, Jeff Norwell and jim snow like this.
  24. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Born in 42. Before finding the HAMB I was into traditional but my personal cut off was late 60's when the federal government started mandating POS pigs. I've never been without a HAMB friendly vehicle since 1956 although a few have had some hidden OT features. My hate for newer iron began in the early 70's and it wasn't until this century that I have seen Detroit build anything I was interested in. Trouble is I can't afford the new ones that really interest me.

25. adam401

adam401

I grew up around a love for stock model A Fords and old cars ins general. I was into aircooled VWs well before I had a licence and my parents let me buy a basket case at 14 and helped me restore it. I also enjoyed cutting the living shit out of suspensions and driving everything an inch off the ground as one does. Generally slapping poorly engineered cars together and learning from it.
    I'm still haphazardly building poorly engineered cars they're just all prewar Ford now.

williebill and Roothawg like this.
  26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Late 60’s high school was about mid 60’s go fast stuff.
    From my 20’s through 50’s it was all about trying to keep a family and house in order. No toys for me.
    After that it was about one street rod, one muscle car and the rest was traditionally inspired.

Roothawg likes this.
  27. upspirate

upspirate

Low-rider is the ring-tone on my phone for messages, love that song!!!!

porknbeaner and Roothawg like this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't think of one thing I like better now because of the HAMB. if I didn't like this style already I wouldn't be here.

Squablow, badvolvo and upspirate like this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Born in 58, I grew up loving all forms of hot rodded cars, but especially late 60's - 70 big block Chevelle's. I had a few. Raised white letter's, air shocks, Cragar's and US American 5 spoke wheels, Hedman headers and turbo mufflers. Eventually the style that grew really big in both Hot Rod & Car Craft magazines was the lowered all the way around with a slight nose down stance, with the widest wheels & tires you could stuff under the wheel wells without protruding past the fenders. Under neath was urethane rubber A-arm bushings and sway bar bushings, and gas charged shocks. The idea was to make the cars handle as well as they accelerate. It's pretty amazing how well those big cars respond to reduced center of gravity, stiffer suspension and sticky tires. And in So Cal we have a lot of tight & twisty roads to run them on. Lottsa fun! I still love push a car hard through the canyons.

I also got really big into the Sport Touring style of motorcycling, for awhile I lost interest in cars completely and just focused on bikes. I always did love early Ford hot rods, it took me decades to realize that they weren't as unobtainable as I thought they were. I traded my last Chevelle for a Model A hot rod and haven't looked back.

Roothawg likes this.
  30. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Muscle Cars and Pro Street. Things change as I'll probably never have another tubbed car.

Nostrebor and Roothawg like this.