Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Len Hughes Magneto

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DigDugMd, Jul 7, 2014.

1. DigDugMd

DigDugMd

Sadly, I learned today that Len Hughes of Len Hughes Magneto passed away on Saturday, June 21. For those who don't already know Len was THE expert on Mallory and Vertex Mags. He opened his speed shop in Elmhurst IL in 1959 and began specializing in Magnetos in 1961. When Len passed, the racing and hot rod world lost a valuable resource of over 50 years of hands on experience and expertise in magnetos as well as an honest businessman and an all around nice guy who would generously share his vast racing knowledge with anyone. I think the lightning bolts in the night sky will flash just a bit brighter once Len gets GOD's Mags tuned properly.

2. silent rick

silent rick

sorry to hear. len converted a sbc magneto to chrysler hemi with tach drive for me. i don't know if it was because i was referred to him or what, he returned the newly rebuilt mag to me with a note stating what i owed him. he trusted me to send him a check if i was satisfied with his work. i told several others of his work. he will be missed.

3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i think i mentioned len to you rick. he did work for me also. great guy. i have set with him over the years and heard alot of great stories. len could and did put a mag in anything. he will be missed by many. he raced a chassis research dragster back in the day. i believe i heard back then he hung around with the greek. since they were both from illinois. r.i.p. lenny

4. sr

sr
    from Monterey

I just found this post when I was searching for Lens new email. He did a magneto for me in 2003 and I just found the receipt and I wanted to send him another one. What a bummer. He was a great guy and did great work. So sad.