Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage legends of nascar race

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Mar 20, 2010.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

does anyone have any info on when this comes on? I think it's tonight on speed, it's supposed to be a bunch of legendary Nascar drivers running 35 laps at Bristol, My TV schedule is wrong and speed Tv's schedule only goes to 11:30 am. I found several links on it, and it's today, but no one lists channel or time, they advertised it at the end of the bush or whatever race it's called, and I didn't catch the time. any info? :confused:EDIT they invited Richard Petty and some other famous drivers, so i'm not sure

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

think it is on right now :D:eek: on espn2 in chicago

3. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I missed most of it, they are trying to extricate larry Pearson from his car right now, bad wreck and the race is red flagged. :eek: bad stuff these guys are pretty old

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

he's out of the car and on his way to the hospital, I haven't seen the wreck but they keep saying this is one of the hardest hits they've ever seen, so I hope he will be ok. this was one of the older cars not a new one.

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I just saw the wreck, they say they will only play it one time, thats one of the worst wrecks i've ever seen, David Pearson had wrecked and slid down to the middle of the track and got T boned at full speed in the drivers side door. he's walking around right now so i guess he will be ok. :eek:

7. Steve 38

Steve 38

Can you tell me more about what the Nascar legends race is? Are they using old cars or is it only old drivers? Sounds interesting, though the description of the David Pearson wreck sounds nasty.

8. dmw56

dmw56

Old drivers not old cars.
    I was there last year and saw the "Legends" race.

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well older, not the new cars the older cars with the spoilers, thats why he got hurt so bad, the roll cage is right on top of you in the old ones. he took one hell of a hit, speed channel screwed it all up and nascar, they were counting down the last lap and the race ended while they still thought there was one lap left. This was a special race not a series.

10. jaxx

jaxx

Larry suffered a broken leg and ankle - will go under the knife tonight according to the family - glad he will be o k - Jaxx

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

how in the world was he walking before he went to the hospital? thats one tough SOB. I saw them take him out on a backboard to go to the care center, then they showed him out before he went to the hospital.

12. Not David, but Larry Pearson, his son had the wreck.

13. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

That's real good news Jaxx. I saw the race on espn-- those old guys were doing laps faster than the nationwide(Busch) race that was on earlier. Not sure who prep'd the cars, but probably not as safe as cup cars. The wreck looked bad---Glad Larry wasnt hurt very bad.

14. hemiheadnc

hemiheadnc

...that was Charlie Glotzback that you saw walking, he was the one who hit Larry P in the drivers door. Pearson spun up to the top of turn 2, and the had a lazy roll down towards the apron when CG BLASTED him in the door. He either didnt see him comming down or thought he would get by before LP got there. My heart stopped when they hit, it was an absolutely horrendous hit. The car was busted in a " U " and it looked like the door bars were in the middle of the car...it sounded like Rusty Wallace verbally puked in the broadcast booth and Jerry Punch was very distracted when he was trying to update the situation...the announcers said the leaders were going faster than the Nationwide cars..120+ for Phil Parsons...

15. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

get well soon larry pearson -16 chattanooga chew buick
    dangerous business

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i know that, i thought they showed larry walking briefly later on

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

that hurts just to watch that, that might send one of these young cup guys to the hospital. Great job about getting there quick and getting him out, I know all those guys had to fight jumping over the wall, but they stayed professional and let the emergency guys do their job,.

18. Holy shit, Batman! I saw that and just cringed!

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it said he had a broken pelvis too, when was the last time you heard of a nascar driver being hurt this bad. Broken leg, ankle and pelvis.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  20. slacker1965

slacker1965

those aren't old cars, but USAR latemodels w/vintage paint & decals.....I don't know about all of them, but Gant's in car coverage showed a modern seat
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

21. Muttley

Muttley

22. That was a nasty, nasty crash. I dearly love to see these legends of the sport compete again ( especially my longtime racing hero, L.D. Ottinger ), but maybe it's just not a good idea to put these former greats in harms way just to appease a few fans and generate interest for NASCAR. Most of these guys are over 70 now, and don't get me wrong, the competetive spirit is still there, but maybe the reaction times are not. We've lost too many of our racing heroes already.

23. Bad wreck,, but look at the one Micheal Waldrop had in 1990 at Bristol. HRP

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVlj7F8OJCY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVlj7F8OJCY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

or Mike Harmon's scary crash and he walked away.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/92av-puVQLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/92av-puVQLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

24. L.D. is an old friend of mine. Talked to him last year when we were picking up our NATS South registration. He can still drive the wheels off a race car! He now builds street rods in Newport, TN.

Buckshot40 :D

25. I watched him race from his early days on the dirt at the Fairgrounds there in Newport, through his Late Model Sportsman championships and his time in the Busch Series. Got a chance to meet and chat with him at his shop a few years ago. It was all I could do not to act like a little kid (I was 55 at the time) meeting his childhood racing hero. He is a super guy and talented car builder. And yes, he can still drive the wheels off a race car.:).....Don.

26. Since you remember L.D. from the Fairgrounds racetrack (Tennessee-Carolina Speedway), I bet you remember my father-in-law Paul "The Ghost" Gose from Morristown, TN. He won the track championship there two or three times in the late '50s.

Buckshot40

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I don't think it was just to make fans happy, they were invited, I think they would rater go out with the pedal to the floor vs some rest home in a diaper at 90. It gave them a chance to show they still had it. If he had gone out in that wreck, he would have gone out doing what he loved to do, It's never a mistake to let an old racer get back in the car and enjoy some laps around the track again. Pretty much anyone on this board knows going fast and the love of the car is in your blood, and never goes away, its part of who you are. I'm glad they gave these guys a chance to do what they love again,

28. I remember that name though for some reason I can't picture his car or number. My memory is not what it used to be. I seem to remember a Rod Long who came out of Morristown and the McMahon brothers, Bill and Stew out of Dandridge, Tennessee. I always rooted for L.D. but remember watching drivers like Landon Giles and "Greasy" Ray Roberts among others at the Tennessee-Carolina Speedway. Great memories from my childhood.