Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leather Panal Shaping Bag Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupe man, Jan 21, 2014.

1. coupe man

coupe man

From searches I've read that sand works well in these bags.I know lots of practice is required to get any results out of this.Are there any books or printed material out there on this technique.What are the limits on thickness of metal being used.Any tips will be appreciatied.Thanks.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Steel or lead shot also are common fillers .......

Older vehicles usually are 19 ga. The stiffness of metal rises rapidly with thickness.

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Depending on the size of the bag, might be harder to lift.:D

4. roadmaster54

roadmaster54
    from kansas

Mine are filled with shot, don't remember where I got it though.Although sand works well also, most body panels are 18.19 20 guage, these all work pretty well, you can shape 16 guage but it's a lot more work.

5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

X2 I bought shot from a gun shop. You can also look for small leather purses with zipper closures at second hand shops to use for hand held shot bags or to weight something down.
    John

6. coupe man

coupe man

Thanks for the replys.

7. redo32

redo32

I've got a heavy 12" round bag with lead, great for holding stuff down & banging on big stuff. Got a couple of smaller bags with sand that are handy for lighter shaping.

8. I like lead shot. No rust, seems to move just right. Made the stand turn. Don't need to move the piece as much.