Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leather Dye for Steering Wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Aug 15, 2017.

1. southerncad

southerncad

I think I know the answer, but figure it can't hurt to ask, is there any leather dye that will work on a leather half wrap on a steering wheel. I want to change from a light gray to a dark gray......or will it just rub off and make a big mess? Thanx for any input.

2. I used a lacquer based leather dye/spray (tan color) over a black leather wheel. With proper prep, it's lasted 10 years (30,000+ miles, and is on it's 3rd owner) with no sign of giving up. I believe it was an SEM brand product...could look further when I'm in the shop tomorrow. I may still have part of the can left.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, SEM products - available at many auto parts & body shop supply stores - Classic Coat is a flexible aerosol vinyl/leather spray that works pretty good for steering wheel, etc - fairly wide variety of colors

4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

^^^^^ what he said

5. southerncad

southerncad

Thanks for the input, had used SEM products in the past but heard that they changed the formula (something about EPA regs) and that it isn't as good as it was once was....guess I'll have to try it.