Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leaf spring shackle dilemma (what do I do?)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Zombiefink, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Hey guys,

So I've got a bit of a doozy on my 59 fairlane hearse.

I was comparing some shackles to a friend 59 fairlane wagon (funnily enough also converted to a hearse back in the day haha)
    And the shackles are different. On his wagon the shackles had like a bent steel bracket where the leafs attached to the top side of the shackle and the bottom part of the shackle was attached in a way to the to the chassis via said bent bracket. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, since my car is an ex variety bash car and it had big mud wheels on it etc I assumed they flipped the shackles to get some more height out of the car, so I got under it today and inspected the shackles only to find instead of the curve bracket attachment so the leafs attached to the top side of the shackle, the shackles are instead just bolted straight to the chassis.. Since Ive got 4" lowering blocks already I thought whatever.
    So, the left shackle seems to be sitting as it should but the right looks jammed upwards and what I assume is putting continual pressure on the leafs. The question I'm asking is how do I get the shackle back down to where it should be sitting safley?
    I'm thinking put the car on stands and some pressure/support under the r/h leaf and get a pinch bar in there to pop it back down but not sure how it'll behave since it looks to be under pressure. On that note if I pop the bolts out of the shackle to just essentially pull the shackle free from the pressure being put on it by the bent spring, do I risk another BANG! With the leaf violently flicking downwards? I've never played around with shackles before, most I've done with leafs is blocks so I figured I'd ask what could be a shamefully dumb question and save myself an injury. Attached are pics of shackles for reference.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

try the jack it up and pry method....

Be sure that you're not going to get hurt if things move suddenly. Use good stands, and keep out from under it.

VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  3. The easiest approach, I like it. It's bit snug in the shed atm and my mates cars in the drive, I'll try make it work!