Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaf Spring Lowering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by friggin"A", Mar 17, 2010.

1. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

Ok, so I've removed a few leafs from my F100 (the 3 overloads and 3rd from top) just to get a little drop. Problem is that now the bolt that holds the pack together and the new u bolts don't have enough thread to bolt everything back. I remedied this by placing the bottom overload (shortest spring) on top of the pack below the plate to give myslef enough height.... worked well but my only concern is if it will interfere with the arc of the springs on the way up. I don't have everything tight yet but the way the current pack sits, the top short leaf I added doesn't quite touch the main leaf on the sides and should be fine under compression, my question is when the pack springs back up if it will damage the main leaf when coming into contact with it, (if it does arc enough) or if it will merely bend with the pack. I'm sorry that was long and probably clear as mud and my picture isn't that much better, but any help is appreciated. I'm trying to get the bed back on my truck but want to make sure I get this right first.

Attached Files:

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

A short stack of washers..........

3. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

I actually might be ok with the thread on the U-bolts, but it'll be close... and the plate won't allow for washers anyway because of its shape... even if it did, I don't think I'd want to use more then one hardened washer. the problem is more with the bolt that holds the pack together.... there's a hole in the center of the plate thats only large enough for the nut on that bolt, so without drilling this out which I'd rather not do (weakens plate, harder to center pack, etc). I know there are other options like using a spacer, cutting the overload spring down, etc. I just want to see what people think about leaving it as is so I can get out of pulling it back apart again.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. Ever think of getting a shorter pair of U-bolts from a spring and Brake shop ? They have anything you want.or can make them

5. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

yeah, I probably should have done that instead of buying stock replacement ones, but that was before I decided how many leafs I was going to take out..... I actually took a closer look and think I'll have enough thread on the u-bolts, the real issue is with the spring pack bolt and I really don't want to take the pack apart again, but I'll do what it takes. I'll probably wind up cutting the spring I put on top down to the width of the plate so it is essentially a spacer, I was just wondering if anyone though I'd be ok as is.... just being lazy I guess.

6. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

well I stopped being lazy and just cut that leaf down to be the width of the plate and essentially just act as a spacer.... glad I took the time to do it, now I don't have to worry about it