Register now to get rid of these ads!

Laying Flake next to each other Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, Feb 23, 2009.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

Laying two differant colors of flake next to each other a bad idea? Is it better to have one color flake (silver) and lay a candy over to change colors?

2. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

3. toxictom

toxictom

absolutely yes!

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

What is wrong with colored flakes?

6. The Blurr

The Blurr

Well let me continue asking my dumb questions..........Why is it a bad idea to lay flake next to each other? Is the problem one would not get a clean line seperating the two?:eek: Or is it a dumbass way to do it? To clarify why I am asking. I have a 60 t-bird and I am planning to do some panels in metal flake. I would like to do a differant color of metal flake in between the panels, but I am trying to figure out is there a way to do this without stripping everything off or doing a totally new paint job.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

It's just alot more work for one....
    Alot easier laying down your silver, clear it, sand it smooth.....then do all your colors.
    I would think you have a rough tape edge when switching between different colored flakes....

8. i'm gonna give you an example. i'm not trying to be condescending, but try this...

get a piece of metal or glass or something and a full can of rattle can clear.

mask half the panel. spray the other half really wet with clear and then cover the whole thing in craft glitter. bury the flake in clear and let it dry.

after its dry, pull the tape. you'll have your answer.

when you do a complete flake panel, you get the luxury to bury the whole thing in clear and sand it nice and flat and smooth so that you can lay down nice clean tape lines and candy it in.

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

No such thing as a dumb question. There's nothing wrong with colored flakes, but when you want two diff colors next to each other, its easiest and nicest to do it with kandy.

I see its green with a silver roof? What are you trying to do, maybe we can guide you.

10. The Blurr

The Blurr

Didn't take it as condesending. Only helpful Thank You!:D

11. The Blurr

The Blurr

Yep, You are correct. I have already flake the roof and now I am getting ready for the body. My plan is like the Watson T-bird. (just the body) type panels were the purple is a green rainbow flake roth bong water green and where the silver is ......well silver. :)

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

So you are trying to add a silver panel around the green thats already there with the entire thing being flaked??? The best way to recreate a job like that is to flake the entire thing in silver and add your green kandy panels in. That way you can get the inward fades and pinstriped silver flake outlines.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  13. Didn't Watson do some cars with two flakes? Or did he use existing chrome and body seams to make the transition? I've got some old Rod & Customs, but the photography is not good. Mike

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Did Watson do alot of flake paintjobs? I don't recall seeing many (if any?)....
    He ruled panel painting with candies......

15. The Blurr

The Blurr

I don't think he did flake.....but I could be wrong its been know to happen on a rare occation. But what I meant was the actual style of the panels not how he did the panels.

16. this is the most confusing thread!

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Why? I think they are being very informative as to how to do it.

18. The Blurr

The Blurr

Do what?

19. well yeah it's a good thread, it just to me it doesn't make sense. i don't know maybe i'm retarded or something:)

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

well they explained how to do two different colors of flake side by side. Do it with candies instead of flake.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

It.

:D :D