Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late Flathead cylinder sleeves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LKPar1270, Nov 13, 2010.

1. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

I read that Ford used to stock pistons to fit the Flathead V8 cylinders with the sleeves removed. Is this still an option? And if so, who carries these pistons?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That deal on the sleeves was only on the 221 engine late 30s early 40s.

3. flatjack

flatjack

Egge still has them.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford used the thin sleeves in 221's and 239's for partial production (many engines had normal iron setup) very roughly 1938--41. The other route is to drive in a new set of sleeves and go stock...standard pistons have become pretty cheap, and the sleeves are still findable. Lots of old Ford people hve the driver sets.

5. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

I'm learnin'. With the cracks between the cylinders and intake valves on two cylinders, and being bored so much it had to be sleeved, I've decided to junk this block. I picked up a block today that appears to be very good. it's a bit rusty, pistons are stuck, but on close visual inspection the block is very sound. It's a '50 RT (cracked block is a '51 RT) so I can use my crank and rods, and maybe cam in this block.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My opinion on bad cracks: It is still easier and cheaper, with decent luck, to get another block and start off higher up the food chain...but supply is shrinking, demand rising for flatheads and the cost of a couple of sleeves and some pins will be lower than the cost of a verified good block before long.
    As far as I know, the only new flathead block that seems to be anywhere close to availability is likely to be very expensive and exotic, too much so for many people.
    If you have a block that is fixable...put it somewhere it won't fill up with water and save it.

7. plan9

plan9

Bruce, what is your opinion on pan rail cracks?
    i have a good running 59A that had its pan rail pinned at some point. i have another clean 59A block, cleaned up to 3 5/16" but it appears to be cracked at the rail in the same location.... iam going to try and pin it and hopefully the crack doesn't extend to the bolt holes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  8. plan9

plan9

heres another block with what appears to be a pan rail crack... same general location. sort of a common theme on these 59 blocks, perhaps i am mis reading a casting irregularity for a crack?

[​IMG]