Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Larsen Engineering valve covers - Looking for info or history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3rd Gen Hot Rodder, Jan 16, 2009.

1. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Just joined the HAMB and this is my first string, so if any mess ups, I apologize up front...

[​IMG]

I am looking for info on Larsen (Larson sp?) Engineering valve covers. Where was LE located? How many valve covers did they make? Did they make anything besides valve covers?

I own a pair of their valve covers and have them on my 32 Ford 5W chopped coupe. My late Father picked them up at a swap meet back in the mid-1970's.

I have seen about a half dozen with Chevy cross flags logo, but my set is all I have seen with the Ford logo. I have searched internet and HAMB, but maybe info is out there that I am missing.

I am not looking to sell these, but it is always nice to have as much info as possible when you talk to folks at car shows, thus the reason for my investigation.

Any help would be appreciated.:)

BTW...additional photos of the 32 can be found here...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4865

2. monsterflake

monsterflake

which would you rather wear?

Attached Files:

3. I've got these on my new roadster.
    Made by Moroso back in the day.
    I've had them ratholed for over 25 years

Attached Files:

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Wally Larson is alive and well, in Jacksonville, Oregon. Still machining and fabricating. He even still has The Ground Fighter 200MPH uber car (was HRM feature car in 80's). I've seen him drive it down the street... I don't have any contact info on him, but at least now you know where he is...
    Scotty

5. IUSETABE

IUSETABE
    from Pad 3

Bob Larson's shop is still on Van Born Rd. in Deaborn Heights, Mich.My brother is friends with Bob and they talk a few times a week.Bob was known as the man for Nascar headers in the '60's-'70's.If you have ever seen Joe Liberty's 32 coupe with the 180 degree headers going up over the roof, you have seen some of Bobs work,He also made the "bundle of snakes"exhaust for the Ford Indy cars in the '60's.
    Corvette side pipe covers were another of his products, having the same ribbed pattern as the valve covers.Bob's roadster is a legend around Detroit and was unbeaten on the streets in the '60's.
    Bob is and was one of the sharpest fabricators and header builders ever.and the shop, though it has been closed for thirty years, is just as it was the day he closed and is a real time capsule.
    i got to hang around there as a kid and still remember all the kool stuff that came and went through there
    Larry

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^^^^^

you beat me to it...

7. jangleguy

jangleguy

! You mean, there's more than one guy named Larson?!

8. IUSETABE

IUSETABE
    from Pad 3

It appears thats the case

9. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

Those covers were in fact made by a gent named Wally Larson. He did build the really wild two-seater car called Ground Fighter, and had previously built a red pro-street 1982-84 Camaro as well. I remember the Camaro being in Hot Rod or Car Craft. Car had those covers, and a supercharger, possibly of his own design as well.

The Ground Fighter had a Lexus engine with a PSI supercharger along with twin pulsejet engines. I saw the car at Autorama in Detroit and Chicago.

The covers were quite expensive, over $500.00 I recall. High end for the time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  10. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Thanks to all who responded with information. Again, this is my first post and within a few hours, I have been given more info than I would have ever dreamed of.

11. stmwheels

stmwheels

please if anyone has any information on how i can get my hand on some of these valve covers please call stan at 8189414753

12. tbbronson

tbbronson

I build & sell these covers now....have 2 versions- both for SBC's only.... a standard ball mill, and a Hemi edition with faux boots & wires for the Mopar guys who have a Hemi appetite but a SBC budget !!!
    These were distributed by Mickey @ Total Perf. for me until beginning of this year when he sold out 2 Speedy Bill.... I sell 'em direct now.... e-mail me @ [email protected] for more details !!! I offer 'em Show Polished, or ruff cast finish- either version !! Would insert pics here but can't-go here for some additional info- http://www.partsandcars.com/prod.htm and email me or call @ 407-468-1931. Doug in Fl. !!
    Tried 2 post some info. awhile back here on HAMB, but was crucified by the old Bloggers for even bringin' up the idea !! Inquiries are welcomed !!
    Thanx....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  13. ONEBADMK8

ONEBADMK8
    from NJ

I have these on my Vega, they are cool on the right car.

[​IMG]

14. sabtaj1

sabtaj1
    from Iowa

good write up... I just came across a set of these today in the attic of the garage at my fathers house. Pretty neat but Im a ford guy. LOL.

15. tbbronson

tbbronson

..U still have em' ?..Wanna' sell 'em ??
    Thanx...:)

16. tinfinmotorcars

tinfinmotorcars
    from Texas

Hey i got a NOS set of these Moroso VC too !
    Does yours have a gasket between base & top covers ?
    These are next best to the larson VC for rare !
    Peace