Register now to get rid of these ads!

Large Low Crown Repair/Fabrication: Possible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRH, Sep 23, 2012.

1. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

I search and search the web for info and examples of repair or fabrication of big, almost flat panels like '60s hoods and trunk lids. I haven't been able to find the info I'm searching for... The books I have show lots of info on aluminum, with a little on steel fab. And while they show nice fabrication of curvy panels, my humble book collection doesn't cover large low crown stuff.

I have a '64 GTO hood that I plan to tackle straightening someday. I would love ideas, examples, pictures, opinions, anything!!

I enjoy fabrication of patch panels, floors, etc. and am still on the uphill climb of learning proper bodywork. But I am super freaked out about this '64 GTO hood. And I am also toying with making 1/4 panels (not full, but large!) for a '65. I know you can buy them, but they suck.

Any ideas or examples?

2. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Morning bump. Anyone???

3. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

If you are looking into info on how to shape low crown panels go to www.allmetalshaping.com. Lots of info there. You can do real low crown work with a body hammer a steel table and a grid layed out on your panel, just depends on what tools you have at your disposal!

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Something to keep in mind when repairing a semi-flat panel is that they are seldom ever completly flat! Too, the frame/channel they are spotwelded to plays a very important part in helping them to keep their shape. The stamped in body lines of a panel also help impart strength to the panel, and therefore must be straightened before you tackle damage in the semi/flat areas of the panel. When shrinking damage in a low crowned panel, you may wanna go with a shrinking disc and nota torch. A torch shrink will usually require a dolly or spoon behind the panel that often requires removal/cutting of reinforcement frame metal to gain access.

Fabrication of semi/flat panels isn't as tough as a very highlycrowned panel, but does require a very good understanding of welding principles, and metalshaping to produce a panel that is all metal and not filler;)

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

5. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Thanks for the replies! I am going to check out the above website, and I will definitely address the corners and stamped areas in the hood which give it rigidity. I have already removed the sheet metal top from the bottom structure and have a straight LeMans hood I will use to donate a straight bottom structure.

I have gotten over-psyched into thinking that making or repairing such a panel is impossible. But I am gaining hope...

6. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Don't be scared! Only 4 things you can do to a piece of metal... shrink it, stretch it, form it or throw it away and start over!:D

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:rolleyes: Hi IM.Actually there are only two things that you can do to metal.
    Fix it up OR f**k it up.I`ve done both.:eek:
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Thanks. That reminds me of a similar comment my friend made which I had forgotten.