Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lakster or Dirt Track ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Dec 30, 2009.

1. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That is a nice piece you've got there.

I'm surprised nobody noticed that 35-36 Ford Touring Sedan decklid you're using as a seat platform/driveshaft tunnel. How's it sit?

Before some folks heads explode, the Touring Sedans are the ones some call "Humpback" sedans, not some form of open car.

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

No, kidding, that's where that pan is from? I have to get one of those!

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

WHATEVER you wanna call it....ill just call it badass!!!!!!

4. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

My first hot rod I spent all the time checking angles and taking pictures because the camera can pick up on visual impact and overall effect that when you're building it you're to close to see... being chopped and channeled I gave myself plenty of room but the interior was my last concern... well after the seat was in and I was behind the wheel I wasn't as pleased with the comfort as I was the look... it drives fine but minor adjustments and positioning could have improved the feel... so lesson learned - I sat in the car often and everthing is designed around the best placement for the driver... the seat was an early choice... first the whole intent was to keep the race car feel and if you look at any of the vintage shots they were leaning forward (not belted-in upright seating)... the roadster back is comforatable so the plan call for a removable bolster behind the seat and a thin pad... the curve of the reversed decklid sits nice with just bare metal (the pading will just be old age insurance)... I'm six foot and I have plenty of room and my body positioning fells better than the 33 but I didn't leave the passenger as much space...

I found a channed T with a reversed firewall - to my disappointment it was't a banger with a Whippet shell... but the bright side of the less than gracefull grill was it was giving the V8 a tough go of it... the need for speed before racing was a spectator sport meant the goal was to win and looking good doing it was an afterthought

Attached Files:

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Early fabrication shots - Hated to remove the original panel but I needed the room

Attached Files:

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Jim Miller from AHRF (The American Hot Rod Foundation) commented;

Sorry to say there isn't enough info left of the original car to figure it out. No original paint, no number on the side, not much to go on. They didn't use tubeing till after WWII for inside body supports and that was used mostly in track roadster.

What was the earliest date you can remember tubing being used?

Do you remember tubing being used on salt cars?

And I'm going to add more pixs just to keep it interesting

Attached Files:

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

More pix by request

Attached Files:

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

More pixs

Attached Files:

9. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Love your little car. The body mods are very intriguing and considering the amount of work that has been performed, it's something that's not traditionally found on a lakes car let alone a track car. You have something quite unique so please add more pics. I'll never get bored.

I've had this photo for a while now but i haven't been able to learn anything about it. Seeing your car reminded me of it.
    Sorry for the size.

Attached Files:

• 9TR.jpg
      9TR.jpg
      File size:
      49.5 KB
      Views:
  10. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The only non-traditional item is the shortened turtle deck... and the Y Block... but when you have three 312's and a 292 logic tends to rule

Attached Files:

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Sweet little car!

12. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, That is going to be one mean Track Roadster. Love the Y-Block ! Keep us posted .

41 Dave

13. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

I'm pretty sure that's Dick Craft in the bug in the photo in post #34,is it not?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, you have my interest, I'm subscribing to this one. I like the looks of it with the short turtle deck and love those Y blocks.

15. freebird101

freebird101

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Good look. Great workmanship.

I too think the body on my roadster is an old track car. When I got it it was tubing reinforced. Had a hole in the side of the cowl for steering shaft. Door welded shut. I just look at any old magazine shots I can and try to find one that matches. Haven't yet.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm soaking this one up like a sponge. I've got enough '26/'27 parts laying around to just about duplicate this thing. If I do it will have a rough and ready appearance like a well campaigned old warrior. I'm thinking the engine out of Harrison's old '38 would be the cat's ass in one.

Frank

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  18. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I'm always amazed me at the form metal can take when someone has the knowledge and the skill to make it happen... Dan Hensel did the tube work and Carey Gaynor is doing the final body and fabrication

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

More details

Attached Files:

20. Beautiful car! Love the Y-Block. :D

21. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The raised steering arm is an item that was used on the Doane Spencer's and others that didn't use a dropped axle yet ran the Schroeder box... I can't recall any tech write up in any of the magazines over the years and there was more involved than one would think... I should start a new thread but since I've been geting requests on here for more details - I'm going to post step by step pixs

Attached Files:

22. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Carey started with 5/8 rod and made a one to determine final length... the second one was cut to length and a shoulder was machined down to the spindle hole size... then threaded... every bend was critical one the second one to ensure equal length

Attached Files:

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

A 3/4" filler was used in the top section instead of an insert... the excess past the tie rod mounting point was milled down flush with the rod

Attached Files:

24. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

1/8" filler was formed to meet the 3/4" section

Attached Files:

25. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

double checking fit and final welding

Attached Files:

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

One step closer to having steering

Attached Files:

27. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I would like to identify both cars - the picture I found just stated it was early drag racing

28. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

More pixs

Attached Files:

29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, Now this is meat and potatoes for me ! Love to watch the art of the fabricator as he creates a piece from raw materials. Looking good there.

41 Dave

30. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Little stuff

Attached Files: