Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here ya go Nobey.....basically a tribute to the 32 Ford.

scan0015.jpg

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Nobey

Nobey

Thank you Woodiemike, I appreciate the article. Rich

Stogy likes this.
  3. 303racer

303racer

This is the Best post in a while

Stogy likes this.
  4. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks 303racer...love your quote "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"!!!

Stogy and 303racer like this.
  5. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Few more to throw on the "proverbial" History pile. Thanks for the comments, and enjoy.

IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1277.JPG scan0016.jpg IMG_1278.JPG scan0017.jpg IMG_1279.JPG scan0018.jpg scan0020.jpg

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  6. firingorder1

firingorder1

If by "in a while" you mean ever then you're on the right track. This is by far and away the best thread ever on here.

Stogy and Retroline like this.
  7. 296ardun

296ardun

What Firingorder1 said, and it just keeps getting better!!!!
    Top picture of Karl Orr is the first shot I have seen of the back of this modified, and I have never seen the picture of Dick Kraft's T...we all remember him for his really early dragster, "the Bug," and he did run a modified at the lakes, but I have never seen pictures of this one.
    The bottom picture is of a car originally built by Kenny Lindley before WWII, and Kenny raced it at a couple of lakes meets after the war before selling it to Emil Dietrich, probably around '46. Emil put a tail on it, and thus bumped it from modified to streamliner class (I double-checked this information in Don Montgomery's "Hot Rods in the Forties"). Kenny moved from lakes cars to dragsters, and built the well engineered example below:

Kenny-LindleyMiss-Fire-III1.jpg
    Kenny-Lindleys---MissFire.jpg
    Kenny was the first to break 150 in an earlier car, also blown (these pictures from Don Ewald's site)
    The story I heard was that Kenny left Southern California for Arkansas to take up chicken farming...don't know if it is true or not...but he sure build some great cars for a very long time.

Mike, thanks for posting so much of this history!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. KKrod

KKrod

These pictures really give an idea on how low the modifieds (streamliners?) were compared to the roadsters. I had no idea that Karl Orr's modified was finished out so well with the bellypan extended all the way around the rear end.

Stogy likes this.
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Don't ya just love the 55 gallon drum school of aero on some of these cars! Baby steps... Gary
    [​IMG]

Lil'Alb and Stogy like this.
  10. The great thing about this car is it is the second oldest surviving SCTA points champion, behind Vic Edelbrock '32.
    [​IMG]

Bangshift.com photos from May 2014 SCTA season opener,
    el-mirage-may-2014-land-speed-racing-009.jpg el-mirage-may-2014-land-speed-racing-011.jpg

11. A couple of pics of the rear of Karl Orr modified.

$(KGrHqNHJ!8E-FObdf33BPy5eG0gGg~~60_57.jpg $(KGrHqRHJBwE+KdhNU-CBPy5eJnKUw~~60_57.JPG

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 5 others like this.
  12. Really dig the Lyons wire wheel covers on the Orr modified!

Stogy likes this.
  13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread should have a sticky.
    Outstanding!

Stogy likes this.
  14. firingorder1

firingorder1

I said that on page 1 or 2. But it seems there are a lot of deaf ears around here.

15. KKrod

KKrod

Great pictures. Would love to know who built it and what happened to it. I like Woodiemikes photo with the chrome Lyons wheel covers. Would it have been called a "streamliner".

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  16. Bill Warth built the Karl Orr Modified, Bill also built the Hilborn streamliner. The modified was built first then Bill built the Streamliner which was also 4 cylinder. The nose on the streamliner was too narrow for the V8 so Eddie Miller Jnr or Snr (not sure, but likely Jnr) built a wider nose, the original nose that was on the Warth/Hilborn streamliner ended up on the Karl Orr Modified. Karl sold the modified in late '47 early '48 to the team of Path/Moore the sprint car tail was added in 1949, though in '47-'48 modifieds were classed as streamliners.

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  17. KKrod

KKrod

Thanks for the information Jimmy.

Stogy likes this.
  18. hotrodalley

hotrodalley

Well, its freezing here, too miserable to go to the garage and I was wondering what I was going to do tonight Luckily, I got lost in this thread and thanks to all of you it turned out to be a great night !

How special to have preserved such a complete history of a "lifestyle" of days gone by. Obviously, I was born a little too late to participate, but it occurred to me when looking at the photos and reading some of Don Montgomery's comments how much fun, how real, how vivid the memories mush have been to be able to recall such detail of the times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the photos and agree that I too would be a candidate for "the book". These are the cars that we are trying to recreate - the photos are priceless. I found an indented firewall with a Cragar...exactly what I a building now and will incorporate a few of the details.

I think I will brave the weather and head to garage .....i'm energized.....thanks for all the posts

Stogy likes this.
  19. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the "kudo's" firingorder! As I have said in the past, all the comments, posts, and information from all of you are what is making this post work, as much as the pictures I post! Thank you. Keep the ball rolling!!!

Stogy likes this.
  20. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow ardun....I'm totally surprised that I have a picture that you, and maybe others have not seen!! That being Dick Kraft's T. How awesome is that!! I certainly feel privileged to have that in my possession. And coming from you with your expansive knowledge has again made this endeavor most rewarding! As always your comments, and post give this thread so much information for all to enjoy. I thank you, and hope you continue to do more. And you are certainly welcome.

Stogy likes this.
  21. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As always Jimmy, you come with such vast knowledge and information! Not to mention the pictures!! I and I'm sure everybody else love to see what you will come up with next. I notice that every time you make a comment, the views seem to spike! And yes...that is a compliment. Thank you, and please keep commenting.

Stogy likes this.
  22. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a fantastic post hotrodalley!! Again it's comments from you and others that make this endeavor for me worth while. I have often stated that if I could spark some interest, spark inspiration, give ideas, or anything related to the pictures, and post's from others, than I will feel as If I have accomplished what I feel this thread is for. Not to mention that this History needs to be shared. Just the idea that you got some inspiration from one of the pictures, and will incorporate that in your build is totally awesome!! Best of luck to ya! Thank you, and would not mind seeing a picture of what ya got goin' on.

Stogy likes this.
  23. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK Boy's and Girl's, just to let you know there are two pictures on this page that I had posted earlier. They are in both album's, but this one has caption's, so I feel it brings so much more the the "table" so to speak. Actually I was just seeing if you guy's are paying attention! HA!! As always, I want to thank you all for the comments and post's, as they are always fantastic. Thank you, and enjoy.

IMG_1280.JPG scan0021.jpg IMG_1281.JPG scan0025.jpg IMG_1282.JPG scan0042.jpg IMG_1283.JPG scan0022.jpg

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  24. gonzo

gonzo

This thread is really unbelievable! What amazing pictures. Thanks so much for posting them!

Stogy likes this.
  25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks for posting. You have a delightful family legacy there.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Mart

Mart

Caddy motor in that last pic? (Duffy).

Stogy likes this.
  27. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are very welcome gonzo! Hope you are enjoying the ride. Thanks for the comment.

Stogy likes this.
  28. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are welcome frenchtown flyer. And I am very honored to have this collection in my possession. Thanks for the comment.

Stogy likes this.
  29. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with you Mart...not sure what motor it is? But one thing for sure...I'm sure someone on the HAMB knows!! So come on guy's what do ya think? And what about the exhaust? I know they were experiencing with a lot of different things back then, is this one? So lets hear it!! I know someone know's what's goin' on here!! You might even get an A on your paper! HA!!

scan0022.jpg

30. That would be my guess; Cad flathead V8 with a log manifold.

Stogy and jmiller1918 like this.