Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lake style header baffles?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bossy, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Bossy

Bossy

What are you using for baffles with tapered lake style headers with no under car exhaust? So it is not too loud. Neighbors are complaining and the pd is watching me.

2. [​IMG]
    A couple of self tappers and youre done.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gear Drive Speed and Custom is an Alliance Vendor, and has baffle kits listed.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that you will find that pretty much anything you can do will still be too noisy and that the neighbors and police will still watch you and complain.
    You will likely have to go to an undercar exhaust just to save yourself some grief.
    And, you can preserve your own hearing at the same time.
    It can be done even on a small tight car, I did so on my RPU running my exhaust from the lakes headers through the frame and out to the back.

5. I have side pipes on the t-bucket, coming straight out of the headers. Used to have glass packs stuffed in there, but they were mostly all blown out. Replaced them with the spiral baffles that Speedway sells. Still loud, but not obnoxious. Got Harleys in the neighborhood louder than my car. Tell the neighbors to mind their own business.

saltflats likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How to make friends and influence people, and how to live in harmony with your neighbors. :D:D

7. I run zoomies, open. The baffles are power robbers. If the neighbors dont like it, then they can move. Car it not run 5 to 6 months out of the year.

Speedys Garage, saltflats and racer-x like this.
  8. 59pache

59pache

I'm running the gear drive baffles on my 32 and they sound great. It knocks the noise down just enough. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453388840.721943.jpg

9. My neighbors sucked anyway. So I moved out to the country. Nearest neighbor is a mile away...and I like them. They're good people.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The guys who claim to run open zoomie pipes or open lake headers, even baffled ones and tell you they aren't too bad or are ok, really haven't got a clue.
    They are the same ones who have the TV cranked up so loud that they can't hear the phone when it rings.
    And they wonder why they hear ringing constantly when the water runs in the sink :D
    And saying the neighbors can move is an asshole statement if there ever was one.

jimmy six and BJR like this.
  11. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I have Geardrive lake style headers with baffles and turnouts. The baffles cut the noise down just enough, the turnouts really make a difference in the car.

12. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I built my own for my zoomies using this guy's stuff:
    http://www.coneeng.com/mufflers.html
    and wrapped them in muffler packing like in the above post.

It knocked several db's off the noise level and took the harshness out of them. Now it idles and cruises decent but the moment you stand on it forget it. It's a hot rod... it's supposed to be loud (within reason I guess).

saltflats likes this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My sbc powered '31 Hiboy has Patriot Roadster side pipes and headers. The collectors are 3.5", and the large diameter contributes to a lower tone, but higher volume of sound in decibels.
    I installed "Spiral Turbo Baffles", which are patented, more elaborate, and also more expensive, than those spiral baffles sold by Speedway. They are a little too loud but so far in 3-4 years of off and on driving, with the off while I had it down for changes, or like now, the weather, I have had no complaints from neighbors or the law. But I do take it easy around residential areas and downtown. Sorta like the old saying "you don't shit where you eat or sleep" LOL.
    I'm considering trying some perforated cones that Speedway sells, intended for oval track cars. They go all the way forward with the point of cone forward against the transition from 4 pipes to a collector. It's claimed that since the area of the holes in the cones is larger than the collector ID, there is little if any loss in performance, and that they decrease sound by about 3-5 db.
    Once again dammit, I gotta agree with Blue One, LOL, about the comment that the neighbors need to move. They have the law on their side and once you piss them off, there'll be no pleasing them with anything short of silent mufflers.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Maybe it's the guys who make assumptions about other people who haven't got a clue. See the video below taken inside my car, open lakes headers with turnouts. Yeah the exhaust is loud, but so is the wind noise (no side windows and no roof insert) and the road noise from bias ply tires and rattles from an 80 year old car with limited suspension travel. It's part of the experience. Who are you to tell me or others that we haven't a clue? You do it your way, allow us to do things our way.

willbe, Kato Kings and mad mikey like this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks for the links. I was considering just buying a CHerry Bomb glasspack with 2 1/2" through pipe and cutting it open to rob the internals to make my own baffles. I may just use this guy's stuff instead.

16. oj

oj

Anybody know of store bought baffles that fit the 35-6 driveshaft pipes? I, for once, would really like to buy something that actually fits that I can take out of the box and nail it down. Or am I just being silly.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There I edited your post down and left the important part . :D:D

18. I'm running Lakes with turn outs from gear drive as well, incredible workmanship.
    It sounded great...... but was to loud (big block Olds) so I pulled the baffles and wrapped them with ceramic insulation. Same kind as used in pottery kilns. Incredible difference. Still loud enough but took away the bite. No problems driving it all day.
    PD is happy. Neighbors are happy. I'm happy. 156.jpg

WC145 and saltflats like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Those headers do look gorgeous. Is it just the pic, or is the turnout a different color?

20. Yes. Turn outs are flat black.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Blues4U likes this.
  21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

On the cheap, cut a glass pack in half, shove the finish end in first.. Trim the cut end to put a donut around the inner pipe and tack or put a set screw in.. Done...

22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

HUH??? Did you say something??

Blue One, choppedtudor and willbe like this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

No doubt that turnouts quieten things down in the hot rod itself, but what we're trying to do hee is appease the neighbors and police.
    The baffles from Gearhead or similar along with that ceramis insulation are prolly tour best bet with the exhaust system you have. Alternative is branch off pipes to go under the car to mufflers with block off plates on the end of the header.

24. Perhaps you're hard of hearing. I never said that the neighbors should move. I said that I moved. Geez, get a clue.

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^Somebody's a bit too touchy, as nobody said it was you, that comment was in response to post #7.

26. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used the Speedway auger mufflers many times. I buy 3" and 3 1/2", cut them in half, and install so it roughly matches the cone shape.

This combination sounds great on stock to slightly modified engines (less than 400 HP)

bHeaders2.JPG

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  27. That's exactly what I did with my headers. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453434281.457032.jpg

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think it depends on the car some just have to sound right women and children better hide.

mad mikey likes this.
  29. williebill

williebill

Learn the fine art of coasting, except when you want to make small children hide under their mother's skirts.

mad mikey likes this.