Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods lake pipes on hot rods?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R.C., Jul 31, 2011.

1. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

I am wanting to add some side pipes to my roadster and was wondering if anyone sells a short lake pipe or is it something that I will have to fab up???
    Also post pics of hot rods with pipes..

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Someone was selling some cool ribbed pipes in the classifieds that would look cool with a turn out on em!!!

3. SLCK64

SLCK64

4. i think nightprowlers sell a set for PT cruisers that are shorter i think they are like 47inches long

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just make sure that you tuck them in so that gals like the one in your avatar won't get their legs burned on them. I've got a friend who still has a scar on the back of her leg from getting burned on a Corvette side pipe back in the 70's. There has been more than one guy loose a fine looking girlfriend over those damned things.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, why not post a pic of your Roadster (27?) on your profile. what kind of motor and exhaust system do you have now? have you looked at Speedway site for lakes pipes ?-different than those run on custom full fender rides. the blue roadster pick up in your avatar is very nice

7. You never see two burn marks.

8. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

I am putting them on my blue roadster, looking for a set that are about 2ft long. Saw a set of Fenton pipes a while back for sale but they already sold. Will post pics of the 27 soon

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Found these at a swap meet....

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      503.3 KB
      Views:
  10. Those are also called kickstand pipes. Bull has a great thread about them. Tuck may have had some for sale?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417489&highlight=kickstand

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Not for hot rods....regardless of length, if they resemble a kickstand at all...they're for customs. Hot Rods need lake PLUGS...(little shorty pipes that come out in the area of the front wheel well just behind the wheel or somewhere close to that. 3-bolt caps are the most serious looking, but hard to located. 2-bolt caps are popular, but not as 'racy' in appearance.

dj

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know guys used to run the short ones around here that came around the bottom of the front fender and stopped just in front of the door on cars like 55 Chevys but I'll be damned if I can find any on the net. All are either 70 or 80 inches long or are the tripple cap junk. Some of the exhaust guys could probably weld up a set for you to your specs that you could have chromed or you should be able to find someone who is really good at sanitary welds on stainless that can weld up a set out of stainless and can polish the welds so that they don't show.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's some on my old '26.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

While your putting on the Lakes Pipes, don't forget the red jeweled mud flaps and the curb feelers.

15. Some of you should actually READ the links.:rolleyes: Kickstand lakers were used on a fair number of early cars.

16. Butch11443

Butch11443

You can get stainless wrap-around clamps from NAPA that barely show and cut tem to any length you want.
    Butch

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My cousin had a short set like this on his Buick powered 46 coupe in 1960. The long ones were usually on the 50s cars.

[​IMG]

For a hotrod I personally prefer the short cut out. Mine are rarely closed.:D The cap is unscrewed here.

18. I respectfully disagree. Check out Guy Rouchonnet's '34 Ford:

Attached Files:

19. snaptwo

snaptwo

We had a muffler shop term for those weed burners, we called them tijuana kickstands , at least the shorter ones.

20. 5window

5window

True, but then again, they probably actually RAN at the dry lakes.

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Skinny lakes are AWESOME on hot rods, though theyre more for the show-roddy cars. My 29 is getting ribbed lakes.

22. Here are a few more from my "inspiration" file:

Attached Files:

23. A few more from my file. Many of these pictures came from the HAMB.

Attached Files:

24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Can I get a "hell yeah"?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my android using it's stupid browser

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

"Hell yeah".........

26. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

My friend made these from Driveshafts...
    Wish I had some better pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

truth was never funnier.

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I know this is splitting hairs but a lot of these pictures are just headers or "side pipes". to me Lakers were pipes that were capped off cut outs that were easy to uncork when you got to the lakes in the 40s. Hence the name. Many of the old hotrod terms have morphed into something completely different in recent years.

Sorry but to this old fart Cobras did not come with lakes pipes.:D There is a difference. I just want to keep the original definition alive as it originated.

To me it's like calling a 51 Victoria a tudor. Yeah it has 2 drs but it is not a tudor. Maybe some of the young guys can learn the difference.

29. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Some of us young stupid punks do understand that but are just responding to the original intent of the thread starter, it sounded like he wanted skinny pipes. Maybe not. :p

30. Try '36 Ford Drive shafts. I think '36 was what they used. That would be perfect and traditional.

now someone chime in with the correct year if I am off by a year or two.