Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lace painting on roof

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aussie56, Aug 29, 2011.

1. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

I am by no means a spray painter but would really like to give lace painting a shot on the roof of my 52 chevy.

My car is already painted and in good nick and I am struggling to find the answer to a couple of questions:

I don't want to paint the whole car just the roof, the car is a GM Burgundy wine color.

My question is do I have to scuff back the roof prior to laying the lace and masking off?

Also I want to keep the roof roughly the same color once the lace is on, can I paint it in a candy color without laying down a base undercoat..... I do understand that the color of the basecoat determines the depth and color of the candy you use.

Or do I just paint the roof the same color as the car with the lace on and then heaps of clear?

Like I said I am still trying to understand paint and doing custom things but I love the look and lace and flake paint jobs and would like my car to stand out a little bit.

I am also changing the wheels to a wide whitewall with a 5 spoke style of rim...... if I can find some.

If I am totally off track please try and guide me in the right direction.

[​IMG]

I do like the look of this lace paint job from fellow aussie HAMBer.......

[​IMG]
    Thanks

Adam

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

Adam, I'll let someone else fill you in on the lace roof details, but it will look bitchin' on your car... Regarding the widewhites with five spoke wheels... DON'T! Two different eras. Wide white wall tires were history by the time five-spoke wheels came out. I know you see them on a few cars on here, but that's NOT how it actually was (if you have any desire for a traditional appearance). Lace roof was sixties. Five-spoke wheels were sixties. Wide-white-walls were fifties. :)

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

First, consider the amount of paint that is currently on the roof. If it is normal, to excessive, as in..is the current paint over another existing job, or several jobs, or over bare metal.
    Adding another color, or 2, plus the clear needed to cover it, will add a lot of material to the roof. Which can cause problems.
    As for the candy, unless you really want a subtle effect, put the candy over a metallic base. Silver, gold, even white pearl are good bases. The color will really pop, and the lace effect will be dramatic.
    Putting the candy over the burgundy paint will be VERY subtle, Just a few shades darker in most cases, even if you use a different color than a red. Look at the House of Kolor color charts to see how different color candies look over different color bases, and you will get an idea of what I'm talking about.
    Yes, you always need to sand paint before adding more paint, unless you are painting and add colors "wet-on-wet". As soon as the paint is dry to the touch, you pretty much have to sand it to add more. BUT....read directions on the paint you use, some basecoats can sit as long as 8 hours before requiring sanding, to add clear.
    I would just use a regular basecoat paint, either lighter or darker, to add the lace effect to the roof....sand out your paint, tape on the lace, shoot a couple mist coats of a contrasting color, immediately unmask, and shoot the clear. DONE!

4. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Your questions kind of bare that out...not that there's anything wrong with that....

BUT

Why did you buy a car you don't like? (Assuming you didn't build it - see above)

To me it looks like a killer driver with nice paint......so why fuck it up just coz you wanna be a bit closer to the latest fads???

I think that's Devilrod's EK in your reference pic....He also has a beautiful rod that has looked good for MANY years....probably coz he hasn't been tempted to fuck up an already great car when he had an itch to try some funky shit out.

Find a project car to experiment with wild and crazy shit on.....and no matter how bad you fuck it up, it will be a BIG hit at Newstead!!! :D

Get some swap meet panels and a cheap Compressor & gun and dive into it!!!!!

5. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

I do hear what you are saying.....

This is the look I was hoping for with the wheels.

[​IMG]

I do like your setup on the 55 though, what width are they?
    I have always liked that look.

[​IMG]

Thankyou for the other replies, I do have some old panels laying around and an air compressor so I was definately going to try it out first before I started to attack my car. I do do the builds on most of my cars as I like to get as much done by myself but paint work is something that I haven't attempted much at all.

Harry's is one place that I don't visit much......not my scene at all......:)

Adam

6. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I just found this thread and I was askin same questions. Thank you chop olds that points me in a good direction