Register now to get rid of these ads!

LA Hot Rod Hot Spots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koachwerks, Feb 23, 2006.

1. koachwerks

koachwerks

Hey pals,

I'm heading to LA with my wife for Memorial weekend. She has agreed that while I'm there I can take in some California hot rod culture.

I need your help!

What are the hot rod landmarks, shops, and or events that are a "must see" while I'm in the LA area?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Chris,
    You gonna be in a rental:confused: Paso is that weekend & it's about 3hrs up the 101. This is a must see if you haven't already, just go for the fridaynight cruise, drive down to San Luis Obispo grab a room for the night the head back to LA in the AM Sat if you have biz to attend to.

3. For sure you gotta hit up the paso robles show.Your wife will have a great time too..Theres alot to see.Friday nites in burbank is bobs big boy its the only place worth going to in the LA area.

4. You have to take in the Petersen Museum (Fairfax and Wilshire), the Bruce Meyer gallery on the second floor has some rather historic rods...also a Steve McQueen exhibit going on now. See if you can pick up a copy of "Drive", it's a monthly throw away that lists all the events nationwide, usually available in speed shops and some tire stores. If you are going to be down south in the O.C, every sat morning there is an informal car show at Crystal Cove Mall (Newport Beach) starting at about 8am. Have fun.

5. Here is a good event page for things going on in SoCal. Hope this helps.

CBB

http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html

6. koachwerks

koachwerks

Hey guys,

Thanks for the ideas!

Chris

7. Dirk

Dirk

8. Donut Derelicts early Sat. morning at Adams & Magnolia in Huntington Beach is a great weekly show you should plan to get to at 6 a.m. (let the wife stay in bed and be back to the hotel before she wakes up -- besides, cars start leaving around 8 anyway). Take the I-405 to the Magnolia Exit, Go South on Magnolia about 6 traffic lights, JUST BEFORE the intersection of Magnolia and Adams you'll see DONUTS on left and about 100 cars (rods, exotics, muscle, etc).

Mooneyes in Santa Fe Springs is a must-see if you haven't before -- opens at 9 am Sat.

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

Bobs Big Boy on Riverside Drive (Toluca Lake-Burbank)Friday evenings......lots of real hot rods, the usual smattering of muscle cars and even some guys from Leno's shop show up occasionally.....sometimes even Leno will show.