Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration LA HAMBers, I need driving advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Aug 14, 2018.

1. 5window

5window

Greetings. We'll be driving Route 66 the middle of next month. I'm planning to stop east of LA (San Bernardino?) then drive into LA and stop at the Santa Monica Pier, possibly take in the Peterson Museum and then drive on to Leucadia (Encinitas) that night to stay with relatives. This will be on a Saturday.

Is this a practical plan? Are there things in LA that I shouldn't miss? Yes, I know one could spend a long time in LA, but that's not the idea on this trip. I appreciate anyone's opinion or insight. Thank you

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Crankhole

Crankhole

San Bernardino to LA is about 60 miles, LA to Santa Monica about another 20 miles and Santa Monica to Encinitas about 110 miles. That's about 4 hrs of driving, not taking heavy traffic into consideration, which is very likely even on a Sat.

Bowtie Coupe and jnaki like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello 5w,

Having figured out freeway driving for all 58 years in So Cal, we know something about the ins and outs of the locales and traffic. So, this is our take on your trip.

The Petersen opens from 10am to 6pm. But, you were not clear as to how long you will stop in San Bernardino. This whole trip is a fun route, but seeing the freeway traffic during all points of the day is tricky. The freeway into LA is always packed. On a Saturday, it may be lighter, but not much. Everyone is getting into or out of LA for the weekend. Santa Monica is a destination for most travelers, it is the beach after all. If it is sunny, the traffic doubles.

A trip to the Santa Monica Pier and the Petersen would be a one day trip for us locals in So Cal. But, you can try to do all of it in one trip. (starting the day in San Bernardino makes it an all day trip… a beach motel reservation is necessary for regrouping for us or at least a couple of hours of "beach town" time in Manhattan Beach just South of LAX)

Leaving the Santa Monica Pier will send you to the 405 freeway South, past the LAX Airport. It does not matter what time during the day, that area is guaranteed to be super slow and jammed. (if you go inland from the airport to the 605 south, that is a possibility, but not as nice of a drive)

That 405 goes South through Long Beach to Orange County and meets up with the I-5 South to San Diego in Irvine. Saturday afternoon one would think of smooth driving without traffic, but all the way through Orange County will be crowded most of the day. Just from LAX to Irvine will be at least 1.5-2 hours.

Somehow, this is starting out to be a very long day and you haven’t even started the southward drive through South Orange County to Leucadia. Not only is the South Orange County traffic slow on a Saturday afternoon, but last Saturday, our trip from Laguna Beach to San Diego after lunch was diverted just past the Camp Pendleton as the freeway was jammed in every lane going south.

We turned around at Las Pulgas and went back home. (We missed the event,not the end of the world, but there are other less crowded days to go south.) The normal 80 mph drive to San Diego from South Orange County normally takes about an hour +-, but this last Saturday, it was horrendous.

Jnaki

We, South Orange County drivers know when to leave and arrive at destinations. Our normal trip to San Diego is in the 9 a.m. to 1030 a.m. time slot. Out of 6 trips, it will take 1.5 hours due to the “Encinitas” slow down from South Carlsbad all the way to the 805/I-5 split. Luckily, you will encounter this weekday slow down on a Saturday due to travelers going south. Sorry.

Recommendations:
    Not to be in a hurry, so take time for an overnight in Los Angeles. It is a long drive South to Leucadia. So, leave early and you shouldn’t have any problems. From Santa Monica Pier to Leucadia, the Google map says it will take APPROXIMATELY 2 hours 48 minutes for 106 miles. But, they are not from So Cal and not on the freeways at this moment.

It is your long, Route 66 drive with great memories. Take it slow and enjoy So Cal.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  4. toml24

toml24

Southern California places to visit, (2018 update). They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show, Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 200 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning.

Trust me; it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Los Angeles County Fairplex. 1101 West McKinley Ave. Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245.
    Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it. Very close to LAX Airport.

Peterson Museum. 6060 Wilshire Blvd. $15 entry plus $12 parking.

Autobooks-Aerobooks bookstore. 2900 West Magnolia Blvd. Burbank, CA. 91505.
    Outstanding selection of automotive and aircraft books. Closed on Sunday & Monday.

Irwindale Speedway. 500 Speedway Drive. Irwindale, CA. 91706.
    Freeway off ramp is Live Oak Ave. Starting March 10th, every 2-weeks on Saturday night there is NASCAR short track racing with 5 different divisions on the paved ½ mile & 1/3 mile oval track. On-track autograph session and freebies at 5:45PM, racing at 7:00PM. Great entertainment. $15.00 plus $5.00 parking.

Also at Irwindale Speedway, NHRA drag racing every Thursday night starting February 15th on the 1/8 mile drag strip, starting at 5:00PM until 10:00PM. $10.00 to watch and FREE parking.

In-N-Out Hamburger. Mighty tasty burgers, fries, and shakes.

The Habit Burger Grill. Great burgers and the best shakes on earth!

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

Ron Funkhouser and Bowtie Coupe like this.

5. Lil 32

Lil 32

A few years ago we cruised out to San Bernadino from San Dimas and pulled into the town's library to seek what to do and see
    Lady in library told us straight to get out of town quickly as the town is now unsafe ? She directed us to a mall a fair way away for a safe coffee
    A lot of homeless people in park outside library
    Lady said the town is not the "Route 66" town it was

Jimmy Shine has a new shop in Orange City, not sure when open
    U must do Donut Derelicts

6. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Mandatory visits would be the NHRA museum. You will pass within a mile of it off of the westbound 10 freeway when leaving San Berdoo. You can use the White Ave or Fairplex exits. Don't try to rush because besides the cars, there are all sorts of historical items lining the walls. Check for days they are open.

The Petersen Museum on Whilshire. Once again, don't rush. Take time to take pictures at both venues.

I totally agree with tom124, make sure that you go to In-N-Out. I recommend a double-double, fries, and a chocolate shake....a bit of heaven.
    I lived in So Cal for 65 years and don't want to comment on the traffic (Don't use caffeine before hitting the road). :eek::) P.S. You won't make it all in one day.

7. 5window

5window

Thanks. Nothing cast in stone, yet. I've got from 8/29 to 9/16 to drive from St Louis west-leaving San Diego for the return to BWI on the morning of the 17th. I thought San Bernadino and the Wigwam motel might be a good point to overnight, leaving for LA on Saturday morning, but maybe I need to be closer. I am also not sure about driving times from Santa Monica Pier to the Peterson Museum and I'm not sure how I feel about the two-tiered pricing at the Peterson, so the museum might need to wait for an LA trip. To be honest, I have seen a lot of car museums.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Rent a Ferrari (and insurance), and take on Mulhulland drive.
    It's on my bucket list.

Ron Funkhouser and Sky Six like this.
  9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Done that on a 77 XLCR, well worth the anxiety. :)

10. A lot would depend on what your other intentions or interests besides S.M. Pier and Peterson might be.
    Are you driving something modern or vintage ? Have you been to L.A. area in recent years ?
    As mentioned by others, traffic can and will likely be very time consuming, even on weekends, so realistically accomplishing much else beyond your listed agendas in a single day might be a tall, if not impossible order.
    Other than that, enjoy your trip.

P.S. There are some decent places to stop (for Friday night ?) east of L.A. , but as mentioned by others, San Berdoo may not be ideal or safest.
    Also, if heading to S.M. Pier Saturday morning from, let's say, somewhere between San Berdoo and Pomona, and actually driving on "66" (i.e. Foothill Bl.-Huntington Dr.-Colorado Bl.-Figueroa St.-Sunset Bl.-Santa Monica Bl.) all the way, it can easily take a half a day, but several hours at minimum.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  11. I wouldn't recommend wasting time or money on that. Accidents/crashes* along with plenty of speeding tickets given on Mulholland almost every day and more so on weekends.
    There are many, much better (and safer) routes around SoCal to enjoy spirited sports car driving. I try to enjoy them as frequently as 1-2 times (or Sundays) a month.

*Probably most often caused by inexperienced, bucket list rental drivers or MC riders. :rolleyes:

12. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

DDDenny, I think he took a shot at us.:)

Chili Phil likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

Other than LAX, I have never been to LA. I am much more of a USA countryside than cityside boy. I have been to San Diego and San Francisco. Since I live in PA, but didn't want to spend my vacation time driving out to St Louis (I've already done the Illinois leg of 66) or home from California, I will be driving a Hertz mid-sized car with all the insurance I can muster.

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The lady at the library in San Berdoo was right about it not being safe. The Wigwam motel is also not the garden spot of the world. IMO

15. 5window

5window

I would much rather stay at the one in Holbrook.

16. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

If you are into traditional Early Ford hot rods and parts The Early Ford Store in San Dimas(next to Pomona) is worth a stop.Kennedy Bros in Pomona also.

51 mercules likes this.
  17. 5window

5window

Driving west, where would you guys stay east of LA proper?

Flathead Dave likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 5,
    If there is no specific reason to be in that area of So Cal, (east of LA proper) then just drive to the Santa Monica Pier area. That area, east of LA is usually hot, might be historic, but hot and not always pleasant. The drive from Santa Monica back inland to the Petersen is only about 20 minutes. But in Santa Monica, there are usually more things to see as part of So Cal, rather than East of LA. (remember, it is usually 5 to 10 degrees cooler at the coast, unless there is a massive heat wave.)

There are places to stay from inexpensive to posh, the choice is with your pocketbook. If it is a once in a lifetime trip, then there are plenty of places in any of the beach side communities from Malibu down to Torrance Beach. Pack light as there are a million places to buy more necessities.

Jnaki
    Have a nice trip and just don't be in a hurry to go anywhere in So Cal. It is relatively laid back and not so intimidating as most people think. (just plan it out for the amount of time you will be here...) People live all over So Cal in places of their choosing. So, everyone has opinions about where to go and what to see. This is IMHO... A So Cal local for many years...still with ties to the community at large.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

On any given day, at any time, your travel plans can be completely ruined by unexpected traffic. One accident ahead of you can screw your plans totally. Download the Waze app for your phone and use it to get around, it is the best at keeping up with traffic jams and will route you the best way to avoid traffic. I use it all the time. Even if I know where I'm going, I still pull up Waze and plug in my destination, to be kept abreast of traffic issues on the route. There used to be gaps in the developments and traffic between LA-Orange County-San Diego. Not anymore, the whole is developed and lot's of traffic. If you're not familiar with the area you have no idea (unless you're from Seattle, the only place with traffic as bad or worse then LA).

20. I was not very impressed the last time I went to the Peterson. I would sure like to hear comments from anyone that has been there in the last year. The museum seems to cater to foreign cars (admittedly very nice ones) but the museum for the most part no longer shows the hot rods and scenes that I grew up with in Southern California. If you do go, I would sure like to hear your opinion.

Charlie Stephens

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Mulholland is usually OK on Saturdays or weekdays, Sunday is when all the motorcycle squids and wannabe racers show up at the Rock Store.

Denny, Mulholland is OK, but for really spirited driving turn off onto Kanan Dune Rd and then hang a left onto Latigo Cyn Rd, you'll thank me later.

But don't tell anyone else, we don't want the word getting out!

Sky Six likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:cool:

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I personally will take TTR's advise and wait till I get more experience riding a motorcycle. If I wait 4 more years, that will make 55 years riding.:p

24. 5window

5window

Thanks. I am just trying to figure out a good stopping place the night before we drive to the SM Pier. San Bernardino seemed convenient, but I'll need to look elsewhere. Lots of places in AZ but I don't want to start the day driving clear through California.

jnaki likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 5,
    I am pretty sure that no one is offering their choice of places to stay in and around LA. LA environment is off and on during the day and area of LA. Sometimes it is strange and you do not want to get off the freeway on the wrong exit. But, that might be for any big city in the USA.

If you have no particular business or family in San Bernardino, you might as well keep heading West. But, not during "rush hour(s)" from 3pm to 7 pm. (I have no idea why it is called rush hour, other than everyone is in a rush to get home. The cars, are not in a rush as they are usually bumper to bumper) So, by that period of time, you might as well be on the Santa Monica Pier or walking around on the 3rd Street Promenade getting prepped to eat a great meal.

For a great vegetarian meal, Tender Greens is really good. Lemonade, around the corner, is one of the best cafeteria style, wonderful meals around. It is quick and very good to excellent for lunch or dinner. If you are traveling with your family, it will remind them of the school cafeterias, but with a new outlook on some excellent food creations. (If only our old school cafeterias had the same menus!!!) It is our middle school grand daughter's favorite place.

Jnaki
    Have fun on your trip and enjoy So Cal. You know Leucadia, so you know how nice it is out here. But, LA is another story. Timing is the key to driving in So Cal. There are more cars and more people, but manageable if in a good frame of mind. Just take it easy and not be in a rush to get anywhere.

One of our favorite songs: Walking in LA... by Missing Persons
    "Nobody walks in LA..."

26. toml24

toml24

All the Los Angeles area TV stations have real-time traffic maps on their web sites. These maps are slightly different for each station but genually have the same information. If I go on the road and cross through the greater Los Angeles area on the freeways I always consult those traffic maps before I leave home. If you have a partner with you they can do the same on their smart phone as you are driving. The traffic maps work and I recommend using them for anyone in Los Angeles.

TTR likes this.
  27. A lot of convenient and safer areas/places for overnight stop within similar or even shorter distance from L.A./S.M.
    Cities of Rancho Cucamonga, Upland and Claremont for example are much cleaner and nicer, not to mention little closer to your destination than S.B.
    Distance (which in suburban California is usually measured in time instead miles) from these places, especially if you're intending to follow and actually stay on the "66" instead of using nearby Freeways (or what I call "Conveyor Belts"), will still require several hours to S.M. Pier, even on Saturday am.
    Or if you're willing to start waaay earlier on Saturday am you could stop in what is known as "High Desert" area, Victorville for example, but again if you're intending to follow and actually stay on "66" this will require a minimum of 1-2 hrs of travel time to be added on your Saturday driving schedule.
    Most ares/cities between Claremont and Pasadena are pretty nice or better and will also get you closer to S.M., but depending your initial arrival time to greater L.A. area on Friday may lead to lot of evening traffic congestions.

P.S. While not "L.A. Hamber" proper, I do and have lived past +/- 35 years about 60 miles east of L.A. and have fair amount of driving/travel experience within most of the surrounding areas and communities, although in last 5-10 years increasingly less (by choice).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    5window likes this.
  28. 5window

5window

Just got back from my three week trip tonight. Fantastic time. We ended up staying at the very nice Saga Motor Lodge in Pasadena and they gave us the special $66 rate for finishing the trip. Stopped at the Wigwam Motel in San Bernardino and it looked great-clean, safe and recently remodeled. Bought a room key key chain for $4 It would have been fine if the distances played out. As it was, we left for Santa Monica about 6 AM with little traffic . Got a parking place at Mel's Drive In, got to the pier and walked around Muscle Beach for a couple of hours, got our certificate of completion on the pier, trucked on over to the Petersen Museum in 20 minutes then headed south to Encinitas to visit family. SoCal guys, I loved the weather and the ocean, but I have now driven in about 45 states and your drivers are the worst-they make the LIE look like a back country road . Quite a shock after 2Kof Rt 6 6. Glad to be home.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    51 mercules and Blues4U like this.