Register now to get rid of these ads!

History L.A. Hot Rods at the beginning

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Back to Thunder Alley, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Jason, condolences to you and your family for the passing of your dad Greg & uncle Scott. I am glad you will continue their passion and look forward to the book, it will be a great tribute.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

I'm going to try my best to make it happen. Sadly, the computer I had from his things was stolen from my storage unit, so much of his research is gone. I don't know exactly how I'm going to recreate it, but as he always was, I'm up for the challenge!

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  3. 117harv

117harv

Thanks for all you have and are going to do, getting it out here for all to appreciate.

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

Best of wishes to you and your family during this difficult time. There are some people on here that might be able to help you fill in some of the missing information.

5. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

Really makes me wish I had recorded every conversation I ever had with him. So many stories and so much history.

I'll take any help I can get. Without that computer, it's going to be quite an undertaking rebuilding it all!

6. Condolences and Best of Luck. Really interesting stuff there :)

7. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Very sorry for your loss .It is wonderful reading about your family history .I hope you can get a book done .

8. KKrod

KKrod

Condolences to you and your family.

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best wishes for you and your family, Jason. Good luck with your research, there are a bunch of us who will jump all over the book, if you can pull it off.

10. WOW!!!!
    I must have been under a rock for the last couple of years. This is the first time I have seen this post and just went through the complete ten pages.... Some outstanding photos and stories. Sure hope this gets followed through and the book goes to print.
    Did anyone ever get a print of the large bunch of old hot rods?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

I'm not sure. I know my dad was trying to get some made but didn't want to lose photo quality blowing it up that big and was looking for a photo place that could do it right. I don't have the actual photo, but I'm in Dallas (he was in Vegas) so maybe I'll have some luck. I'll post back here if I come up with something.

12. 117harv

117harv

13. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks, 117harv! I'm still trying to put all the pieces back together. Could any of the folks that replied on this thread who were looking to get the poster maybe let me know what communication you had with my father and whether he was able to come up with anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

Too all who might still be interested. I plan on producing 16x24 prints of the two prints below[​IMG][​IMG]

Price will be $21 each plus shipping.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  15. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

add me to the list, how do you want to be paid?
    tom

16. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

Please send a pm for payment information. Please include your postal code for shipping estimates.

I, for one, know my father would be happy to see continued interest in our family photos and history!

Thanks to all!

17. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

18. rpm56

rpm56

Condolences Jason. Talk about mixed emotions after reading this amazing thread.

19. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

You can say that again!

20. Back to Thunder Alley

Back to Thunder Alley
    from Dallas, TX

To all...heading to California this upcoming weekend and intend to spend a good amount of time with the cousins Nairn going thru all the physical history from the Thunder Alley and El Mirage days. Hope to come back with some great stuff to keep the book project alive.

21. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

22. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

any progress on the book project?

23. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

THANK YOU SIR & man This has been one HELL of a TIME WOW so DAMN K:cool::cool:L :D:D

24. Amazing Thread!:cool:

25. sportster-bob

sportster-bob

Just awesome history and pictures of the real beginnings. Trends are always purest and best at their beginning and it shows n all these pictures and posts. I'm hoping like many others that the book project will live on to completion someday led by the next generation of family. And I bet there are many hard memorabilia pieces that would make a great display in a museum somewhere. Pictures, parts, documents, cars etc. I'd pay to see it all on display and up close.

Ric Dean likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a BTTT and a Must Read for Hambers to Absorb some of the Incredible Ambience that Is Completely Complimentary to What the Hamb Represents...The People, The Scene, What it was, and What it was at its Core...Incredible

RIP Hamber Back to Thunder Alley ( Greg "Nairn" Thomas ) & Uncle Jim Nairn

A shout out also to anyone knowing if Jason Thomas Greg's Son may have completed and published His Fathers Book albeit due to an act of theft, that unfortunately may never have been realized however the collection of memorabilia may still be attainable for preservation as this was only SOME of it...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    IronTrap likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you revere the Good Ole Days, you'll enjoy this must read and see...

Bttt...;)

Anyone know Thunder...I hope all is well...he hasn't been on in quite some time...I know he met misfortune with an inwork Hotrod book...but was hopeful a book would someday be...His Dad and Uncle were Hotrodders part of the most exciting times in the evolution of Go Fast...he must have grown up around it too...he remembered them well...thanks again for sharing this journey...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    KKrod, stillrunners and The37Kid like this.
  28. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

This is thread is way to cool to let die! Lets pump some life into it!

29. hipojoe

hipojoe

My Dad drove to Arrowhead around 1959-60 to get his 1929 RPU from L.A. with his buddy. They brought 4 wheels and tires, a carb, 5 gallons of gas, battery, and some tools and a prayer. They made it and here it is/was. IMG_1121[3336].JPG

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my dad in 1939, he worked for Western Auto in Glendale and moved to the new Inglewood store where this photo was taken in the driveway of the house I grew up in. The chopped 29 Roadster had a Craeger head, Winfield cam and 2 Winfield carbs. The dual exhaust went down under the body outside of the frame and over the rear tires. It had a 31 Chrysler grille and a custom hood you can see. The body was stripped but not the hood. From antenna you could see it had a radio. All 4 fenders were bobbed and you can see no running boards. You can also see the custom wind wings.
    Later in life I met Kong Jackson and he asked me if I was was related to a J.I. Tone he knew in the 30-40’s in Glendale with a hopped up black 29 roadster. He was surprised when I told him he was my dad…and I was running a car at El Mirage and Bonneville.

3646AC11-B4CD-43F4-A3C2-F95D80473F36.jpeg

OLLIN, Dean Lowe, Stan Back and 5 others like this.