Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kurt’s Puddle Jumper - 1930 Model A Extended-Cab Pickup Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rgclouse, Aug 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rgclouse

rgclouse

Finished the reinforcement of the clamp bar. Truss welded in place and reinforcement angle welded inside. Seems much stiffer. May have to put a truss on the front moving angle as I can see it deflecting now.
    451 021521 Inside reinforcement welded in place.jpg
    452 021521 Truss reinforcement welded .jpg

Tomorrow back to work on the Model A and use the brake for real.

2. rgclouse

rgclouse

Not much to report and no pics. Was 10 degrees when I got up. Made it to a high of 15. Turned furnace up and 4 hours later was not up to 60 in garage. Got a few pieces of bracing for the drivers side floor cut. Will take a day or 2 off till it warms up a bit to conserve propane.

3. rgclouse

rgclouse

Again, not much to report and no pics. 10-20 degree temps, ice, freezing rain and then snow. I moved 1000 miles south when I retired to avoid that type of weather.

When I finally got out in the garage, Phineas the Perfectionist came to town. That's what the Bionic Woman called me 15 years ago when I was getting our house in MN ready to sell. She said I was trying to make everything too perfect.

I decided the square-ness and fit of the floor framework was not good enough and tore it all out. I found the six vertical pieces varied by up to 5/16 of an inch in length. The result of cutting them with a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. Resized them all to within 1/32 of an inch and tacked it back together. Much better. One more piece to fit.

Randall, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. 4274SPEED

4274SPEED

Great motivational thread! Keep up the good work,we are enjoying your progress!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. rgclouse

rgclouse

Thanks 4274SPEED and CHYRSLERFAN55 for the encouragement.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. rgclouse

rgclouse

Good progress today. Got the floor framework all tacked back together and it fits much better. Forgot to turn the gas on twice today and got some awful looking tacks I had to grind back off.
    455 022221 Floor framework all tacked together.jpg

Cutout and bent the first floor panel using jigsaw. I think it made a better cut then I could do with a cutoff wheel.
    456 022221 Cutting out first floor panel with jigsaw.jpg

Installed the first panel including drilling the body mount bolt holes thru it.
    458 022221 First floor panel fitted.jpg

Need to bend a downward lip on the front and drill a bunch of mounting holes.

Stogy, loudbang, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  7. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Cool project! And you made your own Brake! Nice !

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. rgclouse

rgclouse

Thanks TDOG.
    Finished the passenger side and cut and fitted the drivers side.
    459 022321 Passenger side screwed down and drivers side fitted.jpg
    Bolt head are for body mount bolts. Need to get some round top socket type screws but the one toward the transmission is 5 inches long and I can't find ones that long. The rest is screwed down with stainless screws I have had for over 20 years since I rebuilt the compartments on a MH.
    Got templates made for front drivers and passenger side. Hope to work on them tomorrow.
    461  022321 Templates for front sections of floor.jpg

Stogy, Jrs50, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. rgclouse

rgclouse

Got the drivers side rear floor completed. Really nice weather today, sunny and 70, so had to do a few chores outside. Nice to work in the garage with the doors open and heat off. 68-70 in the garage. Perfect!

463 022421 Drivers side rear floor complete.jpg

Found McMaster Carr has 5 inch Hex Drive Button Head Screws. Got template ready to cut bulkhead center panel tomorrow.

brEad, Stogy, Jrs50 and 2 others like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Just found your thread and I learned to "Drive" on one when I was 10 or 11 that had a coupe body cut off in the rear for a pickup bed. Yours is in better shape to start with. :)

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Looking good "Kurt"
    Slow progress is still progress, especially with the weather we have been having!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. rgclouse

rgclouse

Thanks kidcampbell71 and JRS50. By the way, as I explained early in the thread, my name is not KURT, but I kept it since that what it said on the door when I bought it.

Good day today. Made the bend I built the brake to handle up to 48 inch width.
    464 022521 Bend I built the brake 48 inches wide for.jpg

Cut and fitted center section of bulkhead. First bend was a bit too much, had to bend it back 10 degrees.

466 022521 First test fit of bulkhead.jpg
    Drilled and screwed bulkhead in place. 4 holes remaining on passenger side to drill and tap. Have to figure out how to secure and seal top edge. Don't want to drill thru bead on back of cab. May weld a 1/8 inch strap I can drill and tap.
    468 022521 Bulkhead center section screwed in place.jpg

brEad, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. I remember you saying your name wasn't Kurt, that's why I used quotation marks.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that a Mechanix Illustrated trick aka Hotrodders...Good wood...Good Idea...and surely Traditional...;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  15. rgclouse

rgclouse

Got to get a piece of hardwood 4x4, 1x4 pine won't take the power. Have to figure out how to attach the u-joints to the 4x4.

16. rgclouse

rgclouse

Got 2nd Covid dose. Hurray! Finished the last 4 screws on the bulkhead. Got started on fitting passenger side front floor. Recession about 1.25 inches to gain a bit of foot room.
    469 022621 First fit passenger front floor.jpg

Stogy, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  17. rgclouse

rgclouse

A small bit of progress on passenger side floor. Spent the morning doing chores and changing oil on 2 daily drivers. 77.5 year old body doesn't like rolling around on the floor.

Got the support done for the right side of the floor panel and screwed in place. Still have to weld up the relief cut. Frame rail makes a slight inward turn. So humid I had trouble seeing the line cutting 16 ga sheet.
    472 022721 Some progress on passenger side floor.jpg

You can see where I rosette welded the 2 pieces of the support together. Didn't make my brake able to handle 2 reverse bends 1.5 inches apart.

Stogy, Jrs50, HotRod33 and 2 others like this.
  18. HotRod33

HotRod33

IMG_20210223_163526.jpg Just found your thread.. love what your doing... I've got a similar project. Really like your frame

loudbang likes this.
  19. rgclouse

rgclouse

Welcome HOTROD33, thanks for the encouragement. Gee, I thought my rear zee was deep. Yours look a couple of inches more.

Short day today. Made cardboard templates for 2 more floor pieces. Not worth a picture.

loudbang and HotRod33 like this.
  20. HotRod33

HotRod33

IMG_20201204_124007.jpg I thought I was the only one that had to sit by the transmission tunnel.....lol

34 5W Paul, brEad and loudbang like this.
  21. rgclouse

rgclouse

Got the 2 pieces of floor cut and fitted from the templates I made yesterday. Still need to attach them together and to the firewall.

476 030121 Passenger floor pieces cut and fitted.jpg

Had to layout where to drill the 3 holes in these pieces. I knew trying to measure and mark would end up off a 1/16th or so. Made a homemade "marking point" by cutting the head of a 3/8 bolt and grinding a point.
    473 030121 Homemade marking point.jpg

Tap the piece in place to mark the spot to drill. A little hard to see, marker rolled a 1/4 inch before pic.
    474 030121 Homemade marking point usage.jpg
    Made a Mark II modification to the marking point by cutting a slot to use a screwdriver to remove. Was not enough sticking out to grab. Cut the slot to the side to leave the point.
    475 030121 Homemade marking point Mark II.jpg
    I'm sure you can buy these somewhere.

Taking longer to cut these pieces out with the sabers then I expected. The straight cuts would go much faster with a shear.

22. rgclouse

rgclouse

Pause! Will be offline for a few weeks. Have to help my youngest daughter move. I will be planning my next moves while doing a lot of driving.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  23. JOHN Orlowski

JOHN Orlowski

24. HotRod33

HotRod33

No I don't have it anymore.....

Looking forward to updates when you get back working on the pickup

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  25. rgclouse

rgclouse

Been home a week since helping my youngest daughter move. Getting too old to be a pack mule. Have had to mow grass twice this week and other spring chores, so not much done on the A. Spent one day just cleaning the garage and putting away tools. Did cleanup some flash rust that appeared in 3 weeks on the bulkhead. Should have, could have, Gibbs it before. Cleaned up a couple of patch panels as well that showed developing rust. Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs ...

Knocked together an engine cart to roll the generator out of the MH that shares the garage with the A. Hard to believe you have to pull the gen out and turn it upside down to replace the belt that connects the engine to the gen. Will use the cart for the Vette engine when I pull it back out.
    478 040121 Engine cart.jpg

brEad and loudbang like this.
  26. rgclouse

rgclouse

Not much to report. Invested some stimulus $ in a gas tank and fuel pump. Started measuring for support framework.

479 040420 Stimulus investment, gas tank and fuel pump.jpg

OT, but got the gen out of the MH and apart. Needs belt and coupler.
    20210405_123434.jpg

20210405_171141.jpg

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I like it! Carry on fine Sir. I'll be watching.

loudbang likes this.
  28. rgclouse

rgclouse

Well I got the generator back together and reinstalled, but then had a bunch of Spring chores before I could get back to work on the A.

BEGIN RANT: I can't believe how difficult fixing the generator was. I don't think they thought about ever having to service it either when it was designed or when it was installed in the MH. It either had to be dropped down 6-8 inches before it could be moved sideways to remove it or you had to cut the compartment framing (as I did) to slide it out level. You could not drop it even if you had a trans jack because the full width mudflap frame was WELDED in place about 4 inches below the generator. I had to remove the mudflap to have room for my cart. Bolted it back on.

Oh well, it went 17 years without ever being removed. It ended up to be the rubber coupler on the engine pulley. The belt was worn but intact, but I replaced it while apart. END RANT!

480 042021 Moved to higher adjustment in spring mount.jpg

Got to work on the fuel tank mount. Decided to adjust the rear spring mount to raise the back end about 1.5 inches. Gives it a better stance and made more clearance under the tank. I had made the mount adjustable when I build it, but had it a the lowest setting. Sorry, no picture yet of the improved stance.

481 042321 Hanging mount for fuel tank.jpg

484 042521 Fuel tank installed.jpg

485 042521 Fuel tank upper strap hold down detail.jpg

I had to cleanup a bunch of rust on the bed mounting frame. I guess I forgot to Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs three years ago when I mounted the bed. Also didn't think I would not have torn it apart and painted everything by now.

Got the tank mounted and hold down straps fitted. Next up is a battery box beside the tank and mounting the fuel pump.

29. rgclouse

rgclouse

Got diverted. Leaning over the pickup bed working on the gas tank, I decided I needed to put some support brackets to hold the sides of the bed. Fabricated some and even painted them. Weather was so perfect yesterday for painting. Low 70s, low wind, and low humidity.

487 050221 Bed support brackets fabricated, painted, and installed.jpg

Got a battery box/pan bent up on the brake and fabbed mount for it as well as the fuel pump. Fuel pump is hiding at the bottom right.

489 050221 Battery supports, fuel pump mount hiding.jpg
    490 050221 Battery support brackets.jpg
    491 050221 Battery mounting pan.jpg

Put the battery from the donor Vette in. Wish it was good for other then a core charge. Have to finish welding the mount and fab a hold down.
    493 050221 Battery in place.jpg

Stogy, loudbang, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  30. rgclouse

rgclouse

Finished the fuel tank, fuel pump, and battery mounts including making some battery hold downs. Had another low humidity day and got the mounts all painted. A storm came up 20 minutes after I moved all the pieces back into the garage.

494 050721 Fuel tank mount and battery mount painted.jpg

Planning on routing the rear brake lines while working in the backend before resuming work on the floor.

Stogy, brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.