Register now to get rid of these ads!

Krylon Rattle Can Flake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Jan 13, 2012.

1. 3spd

3spd

I was at Home Depot yesterday and had plenty of time to wander while the girlfriend decided what shade of brown paint she wanted and ran across this:

[​IMG]

http://www.krylon.com/products/glitter_blast/

Comes in quite a few colors to boot.

Has anyone ever used it?

Only one hit comes up with a search. Thought it might be worth a look, I didn't buy it hoping to find it cheaper online (It was like $5 for a little can in the store) but looks like that is as cheap as it comes.

Thought someone might be interested in it.

Ryland

2. mendoza727

mendoza727

Looks interesting! Thanks for the heads up I will have to pick a few cans and give it a whirl. Citrus Dream huummm......

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. 76cam

76cam

Sweet I might give it a try on some small stuff and see what happens.

4. wildbillorr

wildbillorr

the trick to this stuff is the temp, and surface prep. light coats repeat as needed. then always buy a quality clearcoat/lauqer. don't rush, and you can get some cool and cheap results. i did my hot rod harley in blue, silver and lace...loved it.

5. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I'm going to the Homeless Depot tonight with the wife. I'm going to take a look for it.
    Thanks

6. Tin Can

Tin Can

Looks cool. Sounds like a rodder was involved looking at the names of the colors

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

looks like some nice color choices
    And they sell a clear for it

if you spray some , let us know how you like it

8. This out in Canada?

9. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I bought DupliColor's version Metal Specks and the flakes aren't that big - to be expected. So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some loose flakes in a bottle. While the spray is still wet I sprinkle the flakes on. Turned out great! I did this on a pair of '56 Olds hubcaps I'm doing up like Grapevines for the shoebox.

10. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

How bout some pics

11. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I guess I know what I'll be painting my junky bobber's tank with.

12. braindamage

braindamage
    from Arnold Mo

That stuff sucks. Used it on a friends roof. He bought 10 cans to cover a 49 dodge coupe and you can barely tell its on there.

13. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I've used it on a mini bike frame once... Worked great on it. I think it works great for small stuff .... Not complete roofs, hoods, trunks and what not.

14. Rattle Cans of any sort of paint isn't going to get any sort of decent finish on such a large area...

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

it works OK, pretty rough though, needs LOTs of clear to smooth it out and make it shine. I use it from time to time on lunchboxes and such when pinstriping. Also like the duplicolor stuff, very small flakes but if its cleared over it pops well.

16. fanspete

fanspete

Went to our local Depot last night and all they carry is rustoleum, guy said they have a big contract with 'em to sell only their stuff. Just sayin'!

17. n847

n847

Thats just what I've been looking for...I want to stripe an old helmet and wanted to flake it!, that would work perfect!

18. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Yes I saw it also but it was with the Christmas stuff and they had it in red and gold as well. It might be a seasonal thing ?

19. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I use it and I can only find it at Hobby Lobby. My Home Depot stores, all 3 in this area carry as said above, Rustoleum products.

20. Zeke

Zeke

Check Wallyworld I know the local one carries it

21. 46 Fleetline

46 Fleetline
    from California

I found some of this stuff in lots of different colors at "Michaels" the craft store. Im gonna use it to flake a 54 model I have. Hope it works out.

22. Squablow

Squablow

I got this PlastiKote stuff at Fleet Farm and painted a set of wheels this weekend, was really happy with it. The flake is small, as you would expect, more in line with a metallic base/clear type paint and not the chunky bass-boat sized stuff that you have to spray with a special gun.

But they look really nice, the picture doesn't do it justice. I'd definitely use this stuff again on stuff like wheels, a steering wheel, a dash, or an air cleaner or something.

Attached Files:

23. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

That looks good, did it dry that glossy?

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I've used it on occasion.....This is actually a brass base coat flaked and cleared. Cut n polished it and I think it turned out pretty nice.

Attached Files:

25. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I like Duplicolor "metal specks" available in red blue orange and green, small flakes but there is a lot of em.

[​IMG]

Hit it with some clear after its dry otherwise its a bit flat, lasts a long time without fading with a clear.

26. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

i bought the same stuff at carquest. i was pretty happy with it too

27. I THINK that I recall seeing Krylon products in the local ACE Hardware stores too.

I used to use Krylon's "Dull Aluminum" for mopar rallye wheels and started having a hard time finding it once Home Depot went strictly to Rustoleum products. ACE was the place!

28. Squablow

Squablow

Yup, pic was taken this morning, so over a day later. It's got two solid coats of clear on it, that's what's in the other can with no cap in my pic, it's the clear they sell with the paint. It's really hard to take an accurate picture of it but it looks really nice.

I want to try the Glitter Blast stuff if I can ever find it, if I do, I'll compare and post results.

29. I found the krylon glitter blast spray cans at true value, ace hardware stores. When the can says blast, boy does that paint blast lol.