Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects KIWI MADE 1927 T Lakes modified - Journey to the end of the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodbox, Mar 31, 2012.

1. woodbox

woodbox

That trailer took about 4 days of messing around to film, 2 weeks to edit, all for about 4 mins of footage. I have a whole heap of raw footage of the trip to Masterton and back, but it is a bit hard to drive the camera and the car at the same time! One day when I am not in the middle of building cars I may take time out to edit the rest. Don't hold ya breath!

kiwijeff and KiwiGlen like this.
  2. Yeah, I know how much is involved in shooting and editing. You did a great job. I look forward to seeing more... whenever that might be.

Glen.

3. I feel like the lucky one that has seen, touched and watched it cruise Masterton:cool::cool::cool::DJW

4. woodbox

woodbox

I took the car out for a run yesterday. First time out since January. The trans seems to be fine. I had to drop the pan the other day because it was leaking around the gasket. I have two pans for it. One nice painted one and a spare for when the box is out and being dragged around on benches etc. The rough one was still on after being worked on. So I swapped them in the car and had to clean faces etc to get things to seal. All good now. Smiling again.......but a bit chilly out in the rain!

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  5. woodbox

woodbox

1430039046898.jpg 1430039148048.jpg 1430039167660.jpg
    Our club was partner host of an annual swap meet this weekend. I have been meaning to get a couple of shots with this speedster built by one of the local lads in the vintage car club. I reckon it kinda looks like a before and after shot of a model T. The speedster represents the birth of rodding in the 20's and 30's and mine is the progress made into the 40's and post war by the returned servicemen heading to the lakes to go flat out on the salt or dry lakes.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  6. Very cool photo's Wade. How do the vintage guys in general accept you Hotrod guys and gals ?

7. woodbox

woodbox

Well....brothers from another mother!

I did hear one of them say "What a waste of good cars" when looking at a pair of hiboy 32 3 window coupes.........made of fibre glass, without an original part on them!!!!!
    But in saying that, we do have a very good relationship with them. Some of their members are also our members with cars to suit both clubs.

8. Roger53

Roger53

Hi I've followed your build from the start you've put together one very sweet little ride. The color just looks so right on it. Roger

9. woodbox

woodbox

Thanks Roger. I like it. Some people just don't get it!

10. Now that would of been hardcase to walk up to those guys and start pointing out all the non original parts on those 3 windows. Just to watch their jaw drop as they realised that what they believed was original steel cars was indeed fibreglass. Goes to show just how good the reproduction industry is going here in NZ and overseas.

volvobrynk and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  11. woodbox

woodbox

My son had a football/soccer game on Saturday 100 kms from here. It was a nice day so........we took the roadster! Why wouldn't you?

12. Exactly and even if it was just down the road you would have taken the long way there........and back !! JW

whiplash1923T likes this.
  13. woodbox

woodbox

I have had the car up on stands for the last three days. Cleaning and polishing for a photo shoot with a local magazine. The weather suck at the moment, so I am hoping to get a lot of the detail shots done in the shop first, then maybe we will venture out for some scenic pictures.
    Waiting for the photog to turn up so we can make a start.
    It is the first time the tyres have been shiney and the body clean for a long time.

daddio211 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  14. Congrats on the feature. What mag is it for?? :D:cool::cool: JW

15. woodbox

woodbox

Here is a copy of the article that appeared in the latest NZV8 magazine. I even made the cover!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff, wingnutz, daddio211 and 4 others like this.
  16. johnod

johnod

Congrats, it deserved to be in a mag.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nice coverage of the car. Much deserved.

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) Outstanding sir.Just outstanding.May you enjoy many decades of safe and happy driving in that beautiful machine.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. Kume

Kume

Congrats and well deserved recognition for an amazing build.

20. Damn cool Wade, but what took them so long !!:rolleyes::cool::D JW

whiplash1923T likes this.
  21. daddio211

daddio211

So bitchin' brother! Funny, I had never noticed how you angled the hood sides to match the cant of the headers. Slick!

22. woodbox

woodbox

There is a line from the headlights, through the headers and out at the steering box too.

daddio211 likes this.
  23. woodbox

woodbox

I took the car for a run today. It was a beautiful day and I felt it would be rude not to! Before I left, whilst rolling it outside I noticed that it was hard to push, even in the shop. Turns out that the right rear brake was grabbing. So I backed off the adjustment a bit and all seemed fine with the world.

After getting to my destination 1/2 an hour later I checked the drum and it was very hot......Hmmmm.....not good.
    I decided to stop in town on my way home to pick up an axle puller from a mate.......and have a beer.....to let things cool off.

1442469052605.jpg
    Once home I pulled the drum and found the source of the issue..........the pads had come off the shoes! It looks like I may have not adjusted the shoes enough and the top of the leading shoe had pushed out and caught on the doubler plate on the backing plate, this had caused the shoe to grab and stick.

1442469086779.jpg
    I pulled it all to bits and took the shoes to get some new pads fitted. This time I will get them glued and riveted.
    1442469108166.jpg

On the plus side of the ledger, I am happy with the way everything else looks inside, dusty (understandable) but dry, no sign of grease or brake fluid anywhere.
    1442469122149.jpg
    Lessons learned from this exercise, adjust brakes regularly, especially after breaking in new shoes.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Well that was bad news but the good news is you are astute enough to have caught it before any major damage was done.

woodbox and volvobrynk like this.
  25. I like the body color... what's it called?

26. woodbox

woodbox

It is as close as I could get to 1941 Ford Harbor grey. I saw it on the Kennedy coupe and fell in love.

27. It really works for that lil Roadster!

28. woodbox

woodbox

I picked up the repadded shoes yesterday. Fitted them today and adjusted all of the brakes. Pity the weather is so dodgy at the moment. I will have to take it for a run next week.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. woodbox

woodbox

This little episode has probably been good in a way. I am a shocker for not maitaining my fleet! I am off for a week on the road at the end of October, so really need to take the hood off and check on a few other items before it turns into a major expense, stuck on the side of the road somewhere!
    A bunch of us are heading to Tauranga for the street rod nationals. I am really looking forward to a week on the road in a great part of the country with a bunch of like minded folks. Living under canvas, drinking from a cooler and having catered meals with a couple of hundred kindred spirits! It just doesn't get any better than that!

The 39 guy likes this.