Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Of Trucks Chapter Three...Serious Bidness...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jul 11, 2011.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looks like the crash course is working. Looking good!

2. Muttley

Muttley

When you rock upon the mic you rock the mic right. You should get a personalized plate for KOT's with "La Di Da Di" on it.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

"Purple Reign" would better suit the King of Trucks! :D

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

It is working and thanks!

La di da di. Iron Lords like to party.

[QUOTE='Mo]"Purple Reign" would better suit the King of Trucks! [/QUOTE]

Brilliant!!!!

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

So, yesterday was pretty productive.

First I got POR15 on the section of frame the cab covers.
    [​IMG]

Then I applied the POR to the sides of the firewall/cowl that the fenders cover.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sprayed some 3M rubberized undercoating on the bottom of the cab.
    [​IMG]

Then we put the cab back on the frame for the final time.
    [​IMG]

If that weren't enough, we got our mock up engine and set it in there to check out the fit and potential clearance issues.
    [​IMG]

I really like the POR15. There wasn't really any rust to speak of on the frame and all the rust was repaired in the cab. However, I like the hardness of the POR. I had some suspension parts coated with it in the past and had to hammer on them to get some bushings out and there was no cracking or peeling. And I mean I was REALLY hammering on those sumbitches with a 5 pound sledge. So that's why I chose the POR for the frame.

With the mock up engine in place, there appears to be only one issue. That's with the stock trans crossmember. It is too far forward for the cad hydramatic. We'll either move it rearward or cut it out and make a new one. Everything else appears fine. Plenty of distributor clearance, no problems with fan/radiator clearance and no floor clearance issues.

Tomorrow, Jeremy and I will be boxing the front of the frame just behind the original engine crossmember and welding in the new engine mounts. Then, we'll figure out what to do with the trans mounts and corssmember.

I'm really excited to see the cab back on the frame. Its getting closer to completion. Wednesday will be three weeks since the engine was pulled out. When the engine mounts and trans crossmember are taken care of, I can apply the POR to the rest of the frame and paint the firewall and inner fenders.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Go TERD go!!!! Body work this week?

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Yes. Although you know that's my least favorite part of any project. But I'll try to make it as fun as everything else has been. :D

8. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Damn Terd, you are flying. You are making the rest of us look bad.

9. Hey, Flat,

He does have one driving force....this IS his daily! Gotta get it back on the road ASAP, right Terd!?!?!

Great work, bro!

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Haha! Jeremy has me feeling like I can do anything!

Yeah, that's right. I've got to be driving again by the time the kids start school. Sounds like a long time right? Not really. My wife works for the school system and she has to start a couple of weeks early. So I've really got a max of about three more weeks. :eek:

Here's the short list of things left to do...
    Box the frame and weld in engine mounts.
    Relocate trans crossmember.
    POR on the front of the frame.
    Bodywork and paint on the firewall and inner fenders.
    Mount pink engine.
    Shorten driveshaft.
    Relocate outlet on radiator (we've got a guy, lol).
    Reinstall front clip.
    Wire up engine, work out throttle linkage/tv rod setup.
    Set the timing.
    Burnouts.

11. Pinstripes around the AutoFair?

12. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Terd, this thing is gonna be so fukin Rad.....just caught up on the build and you have great taste my friend. My all time favourite truck with my all time favourite motor and my all time favourite colour.

I love a bit of Pink in the morning.

F

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

get it tawney!!!

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

If I can stand to wait that long, hahaha!

Thanks Felix! My favorite truck too!

Dude! We are doing it to it!!! Jeremy's talking about engine mounts and frame boxing tomorrow. Won't be long now...

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

So tonight, Jeremy and I got the trans cross member squared away. The stock chevy cross member was too far forward. So we cut that out. We ended up using one of those universal tube cross members that just so happened to be the exact perfect width already.

Jeremy cut and welded in the plate steel to box the front of the frame where the new engine mounts will go.

This came together so easy like it was meant to be. Intake angle and driveline angles and clearance appear to be just about perfect.

Tomorrow, I'm going to start on filler on the firewall and Jeremy will fab up some sweet mounts to go from the frame mounts to the engine.

Some bad news was revealed tonight. My rear end will need rebuilding or replacing really soon. That's not too big of a deal though. They're usually easily found on craigslist.

More details and pics tomorrow.

16. Muttley

Muttley

Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?

17. roadkiII

roadkiII
    from charlotte

you want to borrow my assembly manual? looks like you're getting along fine but it's here if you want it. - jw

18. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

You just bought yourself another Saturday.

Thanks! DOes it have anything in it about removing the outer steering column tube from the steering box. My shop manual doesn't mention it and we're having a tough time getting it seperated. I need to section the column and would like to remove the outer sleeve to get it chromed.

And thanks again!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sure keep putting Jeremy to work on his Birthday week. Have you no shame? He probably wants to work on his merc before the "Charly weekend" and here you are working him like a mule. You are an aweful friend.

Great work though by the way :D!!!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sure keep putting Jeremy to work on his Birthday week. Have you no shame? He probably wants to work on his merc before the "Charly weekend" and here you are working him like a mule. You are an aweful friend.

Great work though by the way :D!!!

21. Oh, hell yeah!

How did I miss this thread? Oh well, found it now. If you had told me about the pink Caddie motor before I saw the photos I would have thought, WTF? But damn! It looks good...a little girlie, but it looks good. But then again, some of my favorite things are pink.

Iron Lords rock! Damn, wish I could hang with you guys. I might learn a thing or two instead of figuring it all out on my own.

Great build! Go Terd!

22. slammed

slammed

Yo' Ferg we be Jones'n for some pix!

23. squirrel

squirrel

The column tube and gearbox are one piece, they don't come apart....or, they don't come apart and go back together again.

I don't have any good ideas for how to do what you want.

Also, try to get the steering in, and the heads and exhaust on the engine, before you make the mounts. Might need to scoot the engine over to the pass side just a bit for clearance? I know you do with a BBC.

24. roadkiII

roadkiII
    from charlotte

it only shows an exploded diagram. seems like i read somewhere that the steering column was pressed together, but may be wrong. i'll drop the book off tonight. -jw

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I am a terrible friend. I don't have a cell phone. I don't check my home answering machine. And I work my friends like slaves on their birthday week. But one good thing that I am, is grateful. And handsome.

Thanks Sax!! Come out East and hang with us anytime!!!

I promise to get some pics tonight at our shop night.

That's what I was afraid of. A solution to that that has been talked about is cutting the tube to section it around where it goes through the firewall, having it chromed while its apart and then welding it back together after chrome. Or just painting the tube. But I'd rather have the chrome.

I've heard that bbc needs to be about an inch over to the passenger side for steering clearance. We'll be sure to mock it up with the steering box and exhaust before nailing in the mounts.

Thanks for the tips! You've always got the info!!!

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Way Bitchin Terd!!! I dig it!!! And I agree that the POR-15 is the Shit... I would have totally used it on my frame had I known how cool it was. I only did the Cab Floor and it came out Ultra trick.

~Berta

27. squirrel

squirrel

Another thing you could do on the column, is cut it where it goes thru the floor, and find a piece of tubing that fits inside it, to use as a sleeve to hold the two halves together. Tack weld the sleeve into the lower part of the column, then chrome the upper tube and slip it over the sleeve when you put it back together.

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I just scanned the thread and hoped to see a painted truck... but NO...

I saw Prince... Liberace... all sorts of weird stuff

KEEP IT COMING!!!!!!

29. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks! And I love that POR! I like that you can brush it on. I like that even a slob like me doesn't have to worry about brush strokes because it levels itself out so nice. And I like that it is SO hard.

That's a great idea too! But I've run into another issue. The '58 Olds wheel I want to use has larger splines than the chevy column. I haven't been able to find an Olds donor column to borrow the shaft or use the entire column. And the way my backwoods tweeker chromer works, I'm quickly running out of time to get chrome done in time.

I may end up running a flat style chevy car wheel on the stock column til I find a proper column to cut up.

You want to see weird, you should come to one of our shop nights, lol.

30. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, the only thing thats missing is some dude with a lampshade on his head.