Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda O/T, Question for the WWII Aviation Buffs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg460, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

So this may be a hair brained idea, but bear with me here. I was watching a show on the History channel about the restoration of a P-38 and at the end of the show they fired up the engines.

My question is about the starter those old war birds use, or more specifically the sound they make. Your hear something start to wind up, without the engine turning over. Then the pilot flips a switch and that high pitched noise slows way down. The prop makes a couple lazy rotations, the engine fires once, then twice, then roars to life.

Its such a cool sound, I had to rewind and watch it a couple time, but what causes it? Can someone explain the starting process? And how do I make my car sound like that at start-up without dropping the cash for an Allison(sp?) or Rolls-Royce Merlin? :D:cool:

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

they had delayed wind and shotgun starters. you can get the delayed type starter for flatheads too. or something similar .

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  3. Scott K

Scott K

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that they use a big inertia starter. An electric motor with a flywheel. I think your hearing that motor spin the flywheel up to speed before it engages the engine. That's a lot of mass to get spinning, lots of compression to overcome. Something a reasonably sized electric motor cant do by itself, like a car engine.

4. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Scott got it right. Inertia starters were originally hand powered. If you watch early WWII movies, you will see mechanics insert a crank in the side of the fuselage behing the engine and usually two of them crank onit for all their worth. When they get it up to speed, they engage the clutch and get about two or three revolutions out of the engine before they have to start over. Sure wanted to keep them tuned up.

5. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Thanks guys,

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but would be hard to get to work on a automotive engine, lots of extra weight and packaging issues

I've never heard of a delayed wind starter, anybody have more info on them?

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

There weren't any starters that could directly spin those high compression multi cylinder engines fast enough to start them. So they used a big heavy flywheel, turned it with an electric motor until it got up to "starting speed" and engaged a clutch that mated the inertia flywheel to the crankshaft and hoped it started.

7. i flew a BT-13....yes , that's how it started

8. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

So it is just a big flywheels inertia that does it. Thanks guys.

Just thinking out loud here, I may have an idea how to pull this off, but its gonna require a lot of custom fab work. What about a starter gear in constant mesh with the engines flywheel, supported on each side with a bearing. Then use a clutch out of an auto trans or motorcycle. Have one side of the clutch hooked to the starter gear, and the other hooked to an electric motor from a standard automotive starter. Mount the motor housing to the trans bellhousing and support the clutch with bearings. Have some kind of hydraulic system to engage the clutch. To start, you put power to the motor and get it spinning, then activate the clutch, maybe with a master cylinder from a motorcycle connected to a small pedal. The clutch would engage, the electric motor would slow down, and the engine would turn over.

I know it is a little too complicated and unnecessary for a hot rod, and I got a feeling I'm gonna get flamed for putting it out there, but I think the sound alone would be worth it.

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just put an Allison V-12 in it

10. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

An Allison is a little out of my price range:)

11. If you ever get to watch the movie "Flight of the Phoenix", you'll see quite an extended scene where Jimmy Stewert finally gets a DC-3 radial engine started with a shotgun starter...

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

Gun powder starers where used by the British a lot probably because of lack of materials to build lelectric starters.
    This is a general description of the starter motor used on 1710 Allison V-12 aircraft engines
    Starting: Direct cranking electric starter motor composed of 28V series would electric motor with integral 3-stage planetary reduction gear (approximately 100:1 reduction gearing) engaging a dog geared (1:1) to the crankshaft. Booster coil employed to retard and increase ignition during low-speed cranking. Primer system consisting of one injector nozzle in each of the four legs of the rams-horn intake manifold, fuel being controlled by solenoid valve from the pressure fuel supply.
    Doesn't appear to be an interia starter?

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You're correct, not all piston powered aircraft did this. I'm just referring to the ones that make the sound he described.

14. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Thanks for all the info guys, watching the Fw190 and the P51s fire up gave me goosebumps

15. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Get a sound bite, and a weatherproof loudspeaker........Cheapest route out........

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a Coffman starter, used on many radials and most early jets. Used the charge from the cartridge to spin the rotating mass of the motor, pop on electric and you're away. These things are uber cool!
    Doc.

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The sound mostly comes from the high speed of the flywheel, and without that component, your starter motor isn't going to make the same sound.

But as noted in the citroen vid, you don't need much of a flywheel.

In no way shape or form is my post intended to encourage your idea :D

18. TomWar

TomWar

This is a picture taken in 1928. The plane is a Fokker Tri Motor "The Southern Cross".
    Just before taking off from Oakland Calif. to cross the Pacific Ocean to Australia.
    The First Trans-Pacific Flight. The man Cranking the Wright-Whirlwind engine is James Warner, The Radioman on the flight, and my Father. The Pilot was Kingsford-Smith.

Attached Files:

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It was a radial engine............but it wasn't a DC3 (aka C-47), it was a B-25 "Mitchell" Bomber if I recall correctly......one of my favorite flicks.........

Ray

20. TomWar

TomWar

!! WOW !! That is some family history. Did your Dad make any other significant flights on that bird?

That was the only flight in the Southern Cross that my Father flew on. But Kingsford-Smith made a lot of significant flights in it. He was called at one time,
    "The world's greatest Aviator". The plane is in a Museum in Australia. You can find many references to him and the plane online. Google "James Warner Aviator"
    Or "Kingsford-Smith"

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are correct, of course........after reading your post I remembered the "boom" sections, trailing aft of the wings, geeesh........it's Hell getting old, first the memory goes........I don't recall what's next......:(

22. spook498

spook498

If you are thinking of a crashed B-25 in the desert, you might be thinking of the movie "Sole Survivor".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065007/

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The C119 series had Coffman starters. The original flick wasn't bad but had some serious reality failings in the attachment of the port outer mainplane the the starboard boom root.
    Without serious machine work it wouldn't happen. Having said that in the original they did build one that flew, unfortunately it spun in killing the pilot. Thats who the movie is dedicated to.
    Doc.

24. gas pumper

gas pumper

25. 432bullet

432bullet

It was a c119 flying box car, worked on a bunch of them.