Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Kids at shows and cruises. Do you let them sit in your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, May 12, 2018.

1. I was at the gas station the other day gassing up the rod and a mother with two young girls (maybe 5 and 7) came out of the store and the kids were all excited about the car. They asked the usual questions, what year? How long have you had it? Etc. The older one asked if she could take pictures. I said sure. They were well behaved and I offered to let them sit in it and they lit up with excitement.
    Later at a cruise night a father and son were looking the car over and the dad lifted the kid so he could see inside and I offered to let him sit in it. Again, very excited and very appreciative, the dad took some picks of him in the car. I would like to think that one day the kid will build a rod like the one he sat in...or at least develop a love of cars or something.
    So, how about you all? Do you let the kids in or not?
    Chappy

2. I let kids in when the opportunity presents itself. But not all the time as some kids have no respect for others property.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. It can't be every kid in any car.
    It's nice when it can happen though, the kids really light up !!

Some cars shouldn't have anyone sit in them, some cars are not kid proof, some are too expensive, some cars are just right though.

Some kids are well mannered and behaved, some kids are a little bit better than their idiot parents, some kids act like they just got out of the zoo,

4. Absolutely! I also give them a picture of my truck with a little bit of info about the truck on the back. Before they leave I tell them not to sit anyone else’s vehicle I don’t want them to get into trouble. Then I say why don’t you build one of these when you get older we need to keep this hobby going! It’s all about encouragement. Hobo Jim

KJSR, classiccarjack, OahuEli and 6 others like this.

5. robracer1

robracer1

no kids, only good looking women and you should see my face light up

Cosmo50, SMLBound, 1934coupe and 15 others like this.
  6. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

If they ask or the parents ask, then I will absolutely let them sit in the car or around it. It gives them a smile and it makes me feel great also. its a win/win situation for both of us. Conversely, you can tell the ones who are little renegades with a-hole parents.

7. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

When I was crewing on a funny car, I loved putting kids and young ladies in the car. It made them immediate fans. I know a race car is a little different, but still fun.

8. Like others have said, if they are well behaved, respectful and show an interest, I would. Some cars are easily breakable though and I understand why some people would only let naked women sit in their cars.

9. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because of the color I think, the bird draws kids like flies. If they are at all well behaved I ask the parents if they’d like a picture. It always yes. I’ve never had one who misbehaved and both the parents and I watch them like hawks.

If I let young women in, my wife would hit me with the lug wrench.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes, for the most part.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

This/\
    Mine I'm OK with it, I only had to make sure they didn't knock it out of gear when it still had the old column in it. The wife's Firebird, not many since it has light gray cloth interior.
    Good looking naked women are always welcomed, but kinda hard to find. Most of the ones I usually see look bad enough with their clothes on, no reason to hurt my eyes anymore than they have already....

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure I do. If the door is open then there is nothing that they can hurt on the car. Moms are especially happy about it, too.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

As long as there's no ice cream or barf on them.

chargin03, zzford, AldeanFan and 2 others like this.
  14. Rich S.

Rich S.

One show a father and son came up to my car. The kid look about 8 years old. The father told the son to put his hands in his pockets an don’t touch the car. The kid was very obedient and look very closely thru the window. All of a sudden he sneezed and blew boogers all over the window. He looked up at me like he was in trouble. I said to him, don’t worry you’re not in trouble, you never touched the car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

We started out years ago letting kids climb in our sprint car before the races. Now at shows my wife loves to put kids in my roadster all day long. She'll flag 'em down as they walk by. She makes a big deal out of it. Be careful of the side pipes. Take the quick release steering wheel off. Get the kid in. Put the steering wheel on. Buckle up the 5 point harness. The whole bit. She always points to the aahoogah horn button and laughing, says "What ever you do, don't push that button". Of course most of them push it. Usually more than once! They love it. Once when a 10 or 11 year old boy was very interested in the car, when he got in I started the engine and told him to wing the throttle a couple of times. It is real loud and you can see the carbs linkage from the seat. His eyes turned to saucer plates. Very well mannered kid. His Dad took pic's the whole time. I think I may have created a young hotrodder right there. As much fun for me and wifey as it is for the kids.

dana barlow, 55Deso, mrchewie and 9 others like this.
  16. I have on several occasions, depends on the kids and their parents.

lucky ink and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. wicarnut

wicarnut

I always have if the kids are well behaved, back when I had race cars we would let kids sit in them, future race fans/hot rodders. I remember when I was young it was a big deal to sit in racers, also if at a car show it was appreciated if I was allowed to get a close look and owner would answer my questions. IMO, Being nice to kids is an investment in the future, I've had people be a positive influence on my life, trying to repay the kindness for future generations. I do understand some men with high buck rides might feel differently on this subject, but I do observe a lot of unnessary rude bahavior toward kids and walk- ins at shows, other side if story is kids out of control, experts telling how you should have built it, the big shot impressing his girl/wife with total BS on your ride, after all these thoughts, I still enjoy shows, cruises, the hobby in general

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and 61Cruiser like this.
  18. Fordors

Fordors

When I was on a fuel altered crew I put kids in the car if we weren’t busy and if there was a special needs kid, or sometimes even a special needs adult I would give them a t-shirt. The car owner was always cool with that.

19. Drive 'em

Drive 'em

We always ask if kids would like to sit in our ‘64 Galaxie convertible. Once a grandmother & her 4 granddaughters walked up & I overheard her say that her husband ( who it turned out had recently passed) had an identical car when they had started dating. I asked & grandma got several pictures of her grand babies in the car. I really feel we need to try to get younger people interested in our hobby, you never know if a simple act like this can make a lasting impression.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

wicarnut, OahuEli, Chappy444 and 2 others like this.
  20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't go to many shows but when I do kids are always OK to sit in old "Rusty" but then there isn't anything that they can hurt by sitting in the cab and I do have a master shut off switch. I do warn them to be careful not to cut themselves or they might get tetanus from the rust! Do the same with a kid who shows an interest when he/she sees the truck parked somewhere. The parents love taking a photo or two of jr. behind the wheel. But again my truck isn't a show truck so if the kid puts his sticky hands on the steering wheel is no big thing.

21. I've had great luck with my son...thanks to the owners of these rides!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

lowroller1, OahuEli, F&J and 4 others like this.
  22. deadbeat

deadbeat

we do it all the time, again if they are respectful etc. Even just yesterday with some folks and their grand sons. When I crewed on our F E D we did it as well. Great way to help future hot rodders and racers hopefully.

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

THEIR PARENTS DONT EITHER

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

As long as they don't have a cigarette in their hand, yes.

25. Yes, I like the idea of giving them a little picture of the car and some information about it and telling them not to sit in someone else's car without permission! ;)

56 Dodge Pickup likes this.
  26. My kids will never forget their ride in the back of the 1917 or 1920 something weathered and ragged Chevy junkyard stake truck that shows up every year at the Newport Hill Climb. The guy offered to give them a ride in the back of the truck, across the small town from the car show parking lot to the hillclimb just to be giving the thrilled kids a ride.
    That was a memorable ride.
    We returned with our Stude truck several times, and even ran the hill a couple times. We turned that yearly pilgrimage into a family tradition even tho the kids are grown now.
    Impress some youngsters, and many will become enthusiasts.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

OahuEli and Fordors like this.
  27. I offer to let some sit in my RPU if they are calm and show interest, I avoid the kids that appear to have too many red sweets or soft drink. JW

Montana1 and clem like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I do let kids and adults if they show interest or if the kids seemed bored to death. As they are sitting in the car, I raise the car up in the air(hydraulic suspension with a travel of 10 inches). There faces are of surprise as well as the parents. The adults get a bigger thrill sitting in the car than the kids do. They thank me repeatedly. And of coarse my pictures are taken as well as video.

29. poprivit

poprivit
    from Hagerstown

I was asked by a friend to bring my Roadster to her grand daughter's end of the school year field day for kids to take pics. I'll be there for sure.

Sent from my SM-J320P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow, 41 C28, Fordors and 2 others like this.
  30. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I usually have a little note on the windshield that says go ahead and sit... just don’t break it, or else you will have to buy it.

OahuEli and Montana1 like this.