Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kickdown cable slack...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just installed a new kickdown cable in my wife's '51. Quite a nightmare considering how a th350 sits in one of these early cars - can't see shit!

I've adjusted the cable to where it is fully extended under WOT, but with no throttle it has about an 1" of slack... IS that cool?

2. Sounds like I'd so it!

Pull the carb to full throttle... pull the cable out to full throttle... and that's about a good starting point. Just make sure the cable isn't limiting the throttle... then take her for a spin. If you have to whack the throttle too far before it "kicks in" back it off a tad. When adjusted right, the car shouldn't bog at all and it shouldn't be kicking down when you want to leasurely go from 30mph to 40mph. It it feels right, it prolly is.

Sam.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good enough. Thanks Sam.

4. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Does it work? I mean have you gone for a ride in it?

5. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Oops, nevermind, I didn't see anyone else had replied....as you were.

6. ShortBus

ShortBus

I think you have yours too tight. There should be a little slack. mine only has 1/4", measured just as the cable engages the shiftulator jimijam in the trans. I don't think it's supposed to be tight at WOT. If it's too tight it'll tend to hold the gear and you'll have to lift to get it to shift. Early downshifting comes with it..

I say give it half an inch and test drive it.