Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kent Fuller needs some Photoshop help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by av8, Jan 7, 2007.

1. av8

av8

I seem to have fallen down on the job -- or rather fell down the night before the job when I tripped over a box in the dark and pitched into my computer chair and the edge of my work station. :-[ I pranged my left hip and ribcage and spent the next two days recuperating at home while assembly work on the 'liner progressed. I missed some great photo ops and am hoping to snag some images Steven Fuller and his pal took.

So, with apologies to all, here are a few I shot this morning. The front suspension/steering and final-drive elements are in place, and the 'liner is hanging in its handling transporter about a foot off the deck.
    [​IMG]

The small shiny bit about a foot in front of the windshield is a socket that accepts a handle for steering the 'liner to maneuver it when it's on the ground
    [​IMG]

A 12-volt winch and compound pulleys easily lift the 'liner. It will sit in the wide web straps when it's being worked on or transported from the pits to the starting line. Fuller located the horizontal spreaders on the transporter at a comfortable sit-down working height.
    [​IMG]

Pulley blocks screw into threaded bungs welded to the underside of the top of the hull.
    [​IMG]

Fuller fits the side-view mirrors in the 'spine' that is part of the hatch latch.
    [​IMG]

The port in the nose that accepts the front pivot for the rotisserie also accepts the pitot-tube for the air-speed indicator.
    [​IMG]

I'll be on hand to shoot more pics when we roll the 'liner into the trailer either tomorrow or Thursday in preparation for the trip to Gualala and the month-long exhibit of Fuller's history, book-ended as it were with his Porsche-powered Volksrod T and the 'liner.

For those who haven't heard, Kent Fuller's streamliner has progressed in fits and starts since he started its construction in 2000. Work on it has stalled at times for a number of reasons, such as two relocations of his shop, the inevitable rigors of aging, some spotty sponsorship commitments, and a change in the rules and regs requiring significant reconfiguration even before the car was subjected to the critical eyes of the stewards. And did I mention the motorcycle accident that chipped five of Fuller's cervical vertebrae and fractured his left clavicle? While he's nonetheless been pecking away at the big steel tube in recent months, work has ramped up big time, thanks to an invite from a "toney" little hot-rod-connected gallery on California's North Coast.

The invite was extended by John Burnett who's involved with the Gualala Arts Center, and it's John who also provides the hot-rod connection as one of the sons of the late Rex Burnett. Rex and his wife moved to nearby Sea Ranch many years ago and, not surprisingly, became active in the local arts community. When Rex passed away several years ago, John moved to Sea Ranch to care for his mother.

Vern Tardel and Gene Gilmore have jumped on the 'liner big time to get it ready for final paint. Tardel, long considered one of the best painters in NorCal years ago before he turned his attention full-time to building old-Ford-based hot rods, doesn't appear to have lost a step in his former specialty. Long-boarding a 25-foot-long 10- and 12-gage steel "tube" to make it as level as is humanly possible has required not only skim-coats of metal-based fillers in some areas but old-timey metal finishing as well. How do you knock down highs and raise lows in a thick steel skin? With really massive whacks from a substantial rawhide mallet, says Fuller.

Here's a link to the Gualala exhibit, well worth the time for any HAMBers in NorCal in June and July.

http://gualalaarts.org/Exhibits/Gallery/2012-06AutomotiveArt.html

Mike

2. What an impressive project. When this hits the salt, I want to be there.

3. Thanks Mike!

4. av8

av8

We trailered the 'liner and Fuller's Volksrod to Gualala yesterday, out to Jenner and then up glorious Highway 1 for a leisurely two-hour drive. At the gallery, it took about an hour, with the help of local hot rodders who were on hand to welcome and help us. Gualala is a hot-rod lovin' town on California's north coast with a fair amount of hot-rod-owning inhabitants in the immediate area. Sid Waterman has his shop there, and we missed visiting him because he was away. He and Fuller are old pals, so I'm hoping for a tour in the future; Fuller's cars will be in display through late July and I will probably venture up at least a couple of times in the interim, and will certainly be there for July 21 car show that involves the entire town and not just the gallery. For more info, check out qualalaarts.org. For now, just think about a small cacklefest on 'main street', which is Highway 1. They've done it before and will do it again this year.

So, here are some images of the delivery yesterday of Fuller's 'liner and his roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  5. jims

jims

what is kent fuller email

6. jims

jims

7. oj

oj

Fantastic! That car is so exotic and breathtaking that you should get 'Walt Disney' for a sponsor.

8. Looking good. Can you get us some interior shots?

9. Mike, the time you and Kent stopped by my place to look at my 48 Hemi Ford. kent said "if we both keep focused we can meet at Bonneville" I dropped the ball on that one. but I haven't given up. My wife still calls you "those two Santa Clauses"
    It must be hell to get old hehe !!
    Jim

10. av8

av8

Considering the alternative, Jim, getting old isn't all that bad. :D We really drew attention riding in his Volksrod, in warm weather with the top off. It didn't occur to us that we would draw special attention hanging out together, but we have encountered some interesting observations and comments. A waitress in a restaurant once asked if we were brothers. "No," Fuller responded, "he's my dad." (Fuller is three years older than I.) The waitress paused to take in this revelation and then said to me "You have good genes!":D

Mike

11. You are both icons of the rodding industry. and your right about getting old. if it wasn't bad joints creaking bones and lost muscle mass I could easily pass for a 60 year old :)

12. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Mike, what are the chances of the stream liner making runs at Bonneville in 2012?

(BTW - how the hell are YOU doing?)

Dave

13. Jeebus!?!?!?! Digger Dave posted again? I was going to ask about you in the "Original 500 HAMBers thread" hoping I heard no bad news!:eek:

14. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Well Tman, things have been both good, and bad.
    The bad, I had an infected gallbladder (they "ripped" it out) and it took the better part of two months to recover.

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy.
    (with the chemo treatments, she is now more bald than I am! :)

But on the "flip side", (good) the "A" Project is very near completion and I hope to back it out of the garage under its own power sometime this month.

I have been following aV8's thread about Fuller's stream liner all along and hoping that it will see the "salt" this year.

I know this post is OFF TOPIC, but you asked!
    Now; back to your regular viewing!!

P.S. - I'm not sure if I am one of the original "500."

15. river1

river1

digger
    i am also happy to see you posting, even more that your health is improving. your member number is 217.

be good

later jim

16. Digger, see you on the Salt. You can find me with Tims #416 green unibody pickup. If you recall we met there in 2002

17. That waitress should be in the diplomatic service.:)

18. av8

av8

Hey, you old rascal! Good to see you here. I read your subsequent post here so no need to ask you how you're doing; sounds as though you are doing rather well. Sorry to hear of your wife's condition. I recently finished 42 days of radiation therapy and am already beginning to feel better and regaining some energy.

Fuller's 'liner will not be at Speed Week, although El Mirage and World Finals for this year are not out of the question. Final-final assembly should move along rather smartly once the Gualala exhibit is over near the end of July and Steven Fuller and his pal Andy tow it to SoCal and their shop. Andy, a seasoned LSR racer, will handle the driving chores along with crew duties shared with Steven and Fuller's grandson Greg.

Fuller will be at Speed Week as a spectator this year. I'm uncertain if I'll make it this year, just depends on circumstances.

Mike

19. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

If I am correct the only seasoning Andy has done as a LSR racer has been as my over the back fence neighbor.

DW

20. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Holy smokes! this thread moves SO fast, I lost track of it. I only found it by looking through Tmans post file!

The sawbones have advised me to stay close to home - both for the wife's and my benefit - so I won't be at Bonneville; even though I want to be.

Would I be out of line asking what you were receiving the radiation therapy for?

21. av8

av8

Apparently I misunderstood Fuller. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike

22. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Geez; that was 10 Years ago!! We were standing at the back of "North of 49" if my 'ole brain remembers correctly. That was the first year it made its appearance.

As I said to Mike, I won't be able to make it; this year.
    But we'll see about next.
    Especially if Fullers car is there.

23. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

No need to apologize Mike. Andy is a bit of a BS artist. Never hurts to pad one's resume when ride hunting.

DW

24. A-Man2

A-Man2

Thanks Dan Just stumbled some how on this site and reading the thread HOLLY S#*% I didnt know I was a LSR someone forgot ta tell me we need to talk at the fence OH wait we dont got no fence no more

25. Magic Chick

Magic Chick

Hellooo, new blood from Winnetka:D
    Yup another newbie. I am fortunate enough to be friends with Kent Fuller through his son Steve. My boyfriend (A-Man 2) and Steve will be working on the streamliner. Kent told me to "buy a firesuit" so I am looking forward to driving it. Totally unlike anything else, that's for sure! Kent named the streamliner "Smoke & Mirrors" so Magic Chick seemed to fit. Spent a fantastic weekend at Gualala Arts Center where the car was on display along with many of Kent's other achievements. Fabulous show. Will be posting pictures - as soon as we learn how:confused: Meanwhile I hope to infect you with my enthusiasm for the streamliner and would like very much to know more about all of your cars as well. Please bttt;) Jan & Andy

26. Magic Chick

Magic Chick

27. APLJACX

APLJACX

IS THIS THE SAME KENT THAT WORKED IN THE BACK OF CHAMPEON AUTO IN SAN CARLOS IN THE 60s BUILDING DRAGSTER FRAMES. IF SO ITS BEEN A LONG TIME.
    MY NAME IS JACK BUT YOU CALLED ME JAKE,IF NOT SORRY TO BUG YOU.

28. ALLISON

ALLISON

Just happened to see this post back at the top, thought I'd add in my tiny contribution to it... Years back I did this and another version up at the request of Gene Winfield... never knew what happened with this project after that or even how it ended up getting painted but Gene had a few of my illustrations for awhile...(I was MIA during a divorce back then)... if its not done yet I hope it is soon, sure would like to see it.

[​IMG]

29. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

Good to see Fuller's progress. I had not seen it in paint!

30. Jenna Fuller

Jenna Fuller

Hello!

It's so wonderful to see the interest in Kent Fuller's streamliner through this thread. I just wanted to offer you all an update, and ask for a little help as my grandfather moves into the final phases of his project. We plan to run at Bonneville this August, and your support will be HUGE in bringing this dream to fruition.

I will be launching a Kickstarter campaign in Kent's name mid-March to raise the funds to put the finishing touches on the liner, and if you don't mind passing along the link to friends who might be interested, please do. I will post the Kickstarter link to this thread as soon as the site goes live. Just wanted to get you all in the loop as early as possible.

Thank you so much, in advance, and if you have any questions regarding the project, please feel free to send them my way!

Best,

Jenna