Register now to get rid of these ads!

keep grinding second gear,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jobbless, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jobbless

jobbless

i have a 54 olds with a 394 and a column shifted 3 speed stick , i took it to the track two weekends ago and every time i went for second it took forever to get it in to gear,, grind,grind,grind, it ran a lousy 17.02 @ 85 mph i know it was not getting traction off the line but damn it just wouldnt go into second... any ideas..... john

2. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I'm not a tranny guy at all but I'd say synchronizers are shot...but then again I have no clue.

3. 54chop

54chop

If the mechanism in the column needs cleaning or lubrication, it's possible that you're bumping into reverse. Shift from 1st into 2nd(simulating your drag strip shift) when your car is sitting still and have someone look under the hood at the two levers that come out of the column near the firewall. I'd bet that when you go for second that the 1st / reverse lever still keeps moving upwards and clips reverse. Worth alook anyway. 54chop

4. Big Tony

Big Tony

My 54 Chevy does the same thing and i just double clutch, but that takes time. Make sure everthing is tight and check the reverse thing like 53chop said. good luck