Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kasper Auto Trim...Milwaukee....'37 Ford Tudor Sedan Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, Jan 21, 2013.

1. I tried this earlier with no results. Kasper Auto Trim...1937 Ford Tudor Sedan.....Pearl White with Purple Lace Trim (one of the first) ....Does anyone remember the car other than Carl? ...:) This was a really cool car from the Milwaukee area in the Mid '70's-Early '80's......Carl did a lot of work for Bill Block of Kenosha, WI.....the sectioned Yellow '40 Sedan, that seems to have been overlooked, and several others......Surely some of you upper Midwest Custom fans remember these cars.......Centurion9

2. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Another one that comes to mind from the Kenosha area was Brandy's Chariot. I believe it was a '35 Ford that was pearl white a burgundy shading. Full show kustom with moulded in dual quad headlights....I believe the front part of those fenders are still making the rounds at the show swap meets....

--- click to enlarge ---

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. finn

finn

Actually, I remember that car appearing at a local car show that used to be held in the National Guard Armory in Ishpeming Michigan in the UP, probably in 1966 or 67. It was about that timeframe because one of the Batman clones was a feature car, and I moved away in mid 68.

I think the display board called it Kasper's ghost.
    I was only 15 or 16 at the time but remember the white pearl with purple as being one of the more professionally done cars at the show.

I often wonderd if he got appearance money to haul the car 400 miles north of Milwaukee.

I think this was an ISCA or something like that show.

That's getting close to 50 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. Yes Guys....you're both on the money. "Brandy's Chariot" '36 is an often maligned custom here on the HAMB. Sad though. It was an amazing car done very well, but long before the "new" resurrgence of Custom builders that seem to dominate the Forum. Kaspers Auto Trim (not Caspers) cars were done very well, often in concert with Vince (Paint) and Butch Brinza (Paint).....It's sad that so many great cars were built, painted and upholstered by this group of Mid-Westerners all of whom did some wonderful work, but are often overlooked. Seems as though the Upper Midwest never quite measured up to the East/West thing. Centurion9

5. Bill Blocks "Brandy's Chariot"........[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

On Brandy's Chariot. Was the car redone and pearl white the second presentation?? What really happend to the car and is the original owner/builder still with us ??

--- click to enlarge thumbnail ---

Attached Files:

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Isn't Brandy's Chariot the car that won the ISCA Championship twice, although re-done? Stu

8. Yes Stu...the White version was the first. Amazing how these cars fall into decay and get lost. Sad....(Edit....I was referring to the first and second versions of the car, not the two time winner)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  9. showrod

showrod

stu, you are thinking of merv colver's little beaver from desplaines IL. that won isca twice it is a 35 ford 3 window.
    Centurion 9, kasper auto trim did kaspers pearl. yes I remember it!
    the sectioned yellow 40 sedan was called "little one"
    Brandy's Chariot is in my attic waiting for a new life.
    it was customized by Dave Puhl for Bill Block
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  10. That's Great news! I hope I live long enough to see it finished! Always a favorite, especially because it was from the area. I still can't understand how these cars get lost. I saw all of these cars while hanging out at Karls old shop on KK. I think next in line after the sectioned '40 Sedan was a sweet Candy Green T Coupe....and the list goes on. I'm glad to hear someone remembers the Pearl '37. Thanks for posting, and much success in restoring Brandy's Chariot!

11. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Kasper did the interior on this 34 around 1975 - car was built and painted by my dad. It won best interior Milwaukee World of Wheels Jan. 1976
    Car was sold at Chicago WoW and never seen again.
    Don't forget Sid, he pulled a lot lines on local cars = "sid did it"
    Betty_Bruce.jpg

12. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Showrod ... Do you really have plans to do up a clone of Brandy's Chariot ??? In 2000 we had a Kustoms of America show in Stevens Point and walking through the grounds I saw these fender halfs and just about went nuts. It must have been at least 25 years since anybody had seen or heard anything about Brandy's Chariot and all of a sudden there were these pieces. Did you have them there for sale at that time ????

---www.kkoanortheven.yolasite.com ---

Attached Files:

13. showrod

showrod

I first saw them for sale at the very last merc deuce reunion.I knew i recognized them but I couldnt put my finger on what car they came from at the time. It was super hot out that day. so hot the ashphault was sticky. I moved on and forgot about them.
    a couple months later a pic in custom rodder showed them. stating what car they belong to. i regreted not buying them. years go by....I think about them occasionally.
    over the years i meet a guy named Russ. hes a custom guy. more years go by.. I see Russ at a swap meet he is selling them has owned them for years.
    i purchased them cause I wanted a Dave Puhl Custom (Im a fan) and i didnt want them to wind up on a sedan or something other than a 3 window. I would love to recreate it but other projects always come up. I think it could be a good looking car if it was done a little more conservatively. but still in the style of the original build.
    if I ever build it. It wont be anytime soon.
    If i sell them It would require proof they will go on a 3 window '36 if nothing else I saved them. from an uncertain future.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. lawman

lawman

WOW, That is a wild old ride !!!!!

15. twochops

twochops

------------------------------------------------------------
    Little Beaver 35 Ford was the car that won twice
    TwoChops.

Attached Files:

16. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Dont remember the car but I drive by Carls every day on my way home from work. I remember his old shop on "KK" just south of Oklahoma Ave

17. showrod...I too am a Dave Puhl fan. The second car I remember that drove me nuts as a kid was a '56 Lincoln that was covered with Orange Scallops over White. That goes back pretty much to the beginning. Because this thread went pleasantly sideways, maybe you have some photos of that car you could share....

18. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Showrod. How did it happen that only those front fender halves came to be saved. Was the rest of the car destroyed or in an accident ??? Is the original owner/builder still with us ??

Attached Files:

19. x-shift

x-shift

The sectioned yellow '40: was the hood sectioned too? Nosed & shaved? I think I know that car, and know that it is back in the original builder's hands, after many years of a rough life. I'll look into this, and hopefully help solve a mystery!

20. Kasper "Ghost", early version. Curt R

Attached Files:

21. Bill Block's 36, early version before "Brandy's Chariot", about 1958 or 59.

Curt R

Attached Files:

22. Thanks very much Kurt......I first saw the '37 after it had been fogged in Purple and before the Lace. I've never seen the car in White before! Great shot of "Brandy's Chariot" too! Nice work...you must have dug deep for these...Thanks for sharing them....I just wonder how many cars Bill had built during his run...That combo of Bill Block, Kasper, Butch, Vince and the others did some great cars....Ironic to see the DonJeans Auto Upholstery El Camino in the background with Kaspers '37....:)

23. Bill Block's 36 second presentation, "Golden Chariot", before "Brandy's Chariot". Same car all three version.

Bill Block has passed away.

The last story that, I heard about the 36 is that it burned in a body shop fire. All that was salvaged were the front fenders, the rest was scrapped. Any body with more info, let's hear it.

Curt R

Attached Files:

24. "The Little One" Curt R

Attached Files:

25. showrod

showrod

i think there is a picture of the lincoln dave did on ricksters sight.
    after already falling from grace Brandy's chariot was in a body shop fire. really just the rear of the car. i shared pics of the post fire in this link. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79554&highlight=brandy+chariot
    It was also featured in hot rod magazine as the golden indian or golden chariot
    (thanks curt R for the pics) after the quad headlights it was featured in a couple other custom mags of the day.

26. was the rear of the body scrapped or ?

Curt R

27. showrod

showrod

yes, the body shop owner told me it was scrapped. however i have heard a rumor some one bought the remains from the scrap yard and built it into a modern day street rod.
    I have never seen it and can not substantiate this as truth or not.

28. thank you for the info. Maybe someone knows more.

Curt R

29. I don't know how many cars Bill Block did, I remember a chopped 56 or 57 Plymouth Fury, (still looking for pictures), coupla 32 Fords, chopped 50 Merc, chopped 46 Ford and a custom Harley.

Here is DonJeans 57 Chev, version 1 and 2. Second version exists in Colorado, last I heard.

Curt R

Attached Files: