Register now to get rid of these ads!

Karol Miller and Y- Blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry Floored, Jun 24, 2008.

1. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

all these things were done in an era when most of us were proud of any " regular guy " who was successful regardless of " brand " he was one my heroes and i was driving and racing chevys at the time...

Spooky likes this.
  2. Tedd

Tedd

[​IMG]

That group shot of the dragsters at Freeway Dragstrip actually has Ray Canton being labeled at "Karol Miller".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Spooky likes this.
  3. MotoHead

MotoHead

A long bump but after finding this thread I registered to pass along a nice encounter, actually many, with Karol.

We've been chatting regularly while watching trains at a local crossing (everybody loves big power!) and I just recently learned his full name and background in the world of speed and tuning. He's always been intrigued by a motorcycle I ride to train-spot and asked mechanical questions that made me wonder 'how's this guy know so much about engines?'. Well, it all makes a bit more sense now.

Great article to highlight the work of an ingenious and humble gentlemen, and quality comments. Looking forward to my next "track-side" discussion with Karol.

4. Now, THAT'S cool as Hell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

What's your bike ?

Spooky likes this.
  5. MotoHead

MotoHead

Ducati MTS1100S Multistrada - probably a year ago he knew of and was asking about the "Desmodromic" (positive closure) valve train unique to the brand. He even educated me on the earlier history of Desmo in vintage Mercedes Benz race cars.

Yesterday the topic was the dual-spark system in the bike's L-twin, and as we were parting his '57 Ford and Bonneville run came up in passing and he popped me a card. The Internet dished up the fuller story. Good stuff.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's cool. I was one of those kids in the early sixties reading about Karol, Jim Thatcher, Bill Edwards Knott Farrington and so many others in Spotlight books, Car Life, and Hot Rod, was totally in awe of those guys, but I didn't know this bit of info about him. Cool stuff.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I see that Hamb member Old Wolf hasn't bothered to weigh in here with his tired old " Y Blocks are boat anchors" rhetoric :D.
    A great story and nice to hear that Karol is still around and kicking. I bet he could tell some interesting tales.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

hell, he doesn't have to, EVERYBODY knows THAT!:rolleyes::p

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks George :D:D

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

hey, its the least I can do...:D

Spooky likes this.
  11. Spooky

Spooky

Bump, just because.

warbird1 likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Karol is doing fine living north of Austin Texas with his wife of many years and near his daughter and grand children. We stop and see him every time we visit our own daughter in Florida. His original 56 rotted away many years ago but its replica is in his garage complete with Bonneville Timing Tags on the dash. The engine is one of Ted Eaton’s with dyno charts on his web site.
    He was one of my hero’s growing up and to meet and become friends with him when I was older is a time in my life I’ll never forget. IMG_0602.jpeg

Clark, HemiDeuce, warbird1 and 9 others like this.