Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just some afternoon piddling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronzmtrwrx, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

image.jpeg
    While my buddy is finishing up the machine work on my flathead block, I'm getting a few miscellaneous pieces ready back at my shop. I straightened up and blasted my best oil pan and was getting ready to slick it up when I discovered the threads in the dipstick tube receiver were shot. I checked the other two pans I had and they were no better. So I decided to just make a new one out of stainless and polish it up. I started by drilling out the rivets and removing the aluminum receiver.
    image.jpeg
    I picked up a piece of 1/4" stainless out of the scrap and a stainless coupler from the local farm store for $3.
    image.jpeg
    Since it was a rough mill finish, I decided to face it off a bit to make the polishing easier later.
    image.jpeg
    Using the original receiver as a guide, I set the plate in my vice at the proper angle to put the hole through it for the threaded coupler.
    image.jpeg
    I machined the coupler down to .625" o.d. and then milled the hole in the plate to accept it.
    image.jpeg
    Using the original again as a guide, I transferred the hole pattern and drilled the plate. I then rough polished the plate before tracing the outer shape to the plate. Using a cutoff wheel on my hand grinder, I roughed out the shape and then fine tuned it with a flap disc.
    image.jpeg
    Smoothed and polished, ready to tig weld the coupler in. I marked the angle on the coupler and trimmed it up for a flush fit on the back side of the plate.
    image.jpeg
    Tig welded on the back side.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Check for fit. Not sure if I'll rivet it back on after I paint the pan, or put rivnuts in the pan and bolt it on. Anyway, this should put an end to any thread problems here.

2. Excellent work,talk about attention to detail,a thing of beauty! HRP

ronzmtrwrx and Hnstray like this.
  3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

X 2 ^^^^^ Please come piddle in my shop for me !

Petejoe and Max Gearhead like this.
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice piece of work! Are you accepting orders? I think most of the ones out there are like your original and these would be well received.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

now that was easy - Ha!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Beautifully done! Thanks for posting...

Ray

7. BJR

BJR

Funny..... when I piddle it never looks like that!

8. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Really good!! I will point this one out to my son.He loves learning these little tricks. Thanks JF

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, nice piece of piddling!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Very nicely done.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

why, that's...that's...BILLET!!!:eek: Very nice work.:D

Fordor Ron likes this.
  12. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

bc

No, not the B word...lol. Maybe I should run it through the blast cabinet to give it a cast look.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

naw, hell no! I'd be proud of that!

ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  14. cb186

cb186

Billet would be if it was machined from on piece of material.

15. Good piddle

16. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

When you get ready to install it, braze 3 short bolts inside the pan and then make a gasket, then use SS acorn nuts on the outside to secure the Dipstick tube. Looks cool
    I did it

17. deucemac

deucemac

You are one of the best piddlers I have ever seen. Just think what you could do if you got serious!

18. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

That's exactly what I was thinking about with the acorn nuts. Will match up to the head bolt covers nicely. Welding in some grade8 bolts would probably be better than the rivnut idea, too. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. That is the type of detail that is important, and nice looking, too. After working in machine shops for years, I can appreciate the thought, time and effort that went into your work.

ronzmtrwrx and Hnstray like this.
  20. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    More Saturday piddlin. Got the block back from machining and I cleaned it all up to prep for assembly. Probably not the best idea to paint the block before putting it together, but I figured it was cleaner right then than it ever would be, so I opted to paint it now. I can always touch it back up if need be after I get it put together. Just used some cheap Summit single stage urethane over epoxy primer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.