Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just bought a 28/29 Sport Coupe ... err Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scibjenkins, Oct 21, 2012.

1. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Just bought this for a very reasonable price, right in my backyard. Plan to make some modifications and make a coupester/roadster out of it. This is one of my first attempts at sheet metal. Should prove to be a real challenge! I love a good challenge:cool:

I've got a running 59AB and a rebuilt T-5. Just need the adapter. Have a good banjo rear end, 3 good knee action shocks, 4 fairly new 16" bias plys with steelies.

I just have to finish up my '47 Ford first (doing Mustang II and 350/350). Thus my parts donation car!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Whoo-whee.. Golly! That thing is rough. Good luck with that. Oh, if you ever need measurements or anything, I've got a couple scans I can throw up here to help with that.

3. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Thanks, I'll holler at ya when the time comes!

4. That looks sorta familiar....oh, yeah, it's about 8 houses down the street from me :cool:
    Between you and your dad, you'll make a good car out of it.

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Wow, better than some...worse than most...

Whats the story on this one? Why was the back hacked off?

I'm building one myself, The only thing mine has on yours is that my quarters are still together. Kinda...

6. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I'm guessing that it was hacked up to make a truck out of it at one point or another. But the guy I bought it from pulled it out of a hillside down in Norther California somewhere. Just the cowl was sticking out, he said.

Are you making a sport coupe out of yours?

7. wallyringo

wallyringo

good luck bro, i remember your post a few weeks ago about getting new white walls.

8. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Yes, that was for my '47. I'm just wrapping up the MII swap on that one.

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Mine is destined for a Av8 "coupster"

10. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Sports Coupes are great, and easier to chop.

Never got round to chopping mine though.

Good luck with the build.

11. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Haha, definitely, thanks Corn!

12. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i see a really neat car being built! surpized a car in CA is that rough though....usually see stuff like that around my neck of the woods.

13. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I'm way up right next to the Oregon border. It's not exactly "California". Hell, I'm about 375 miles north of "Nor Cal". But I'm right on the coast, that salt air is EVILLLLL! On top of low population, there isn't a hell of a whole lot around here. But I did hear old stories about mining towns full of Model T stuff, but I'm pretty sure all of that has been picked through thoroughly by now.

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Ah, the Pacific North Wet. Where cars rot from the top down. I had a '72 IH Travelall shipping in from Washougal WA. The rot was in the strangest places...

That happens in Florida too. I had a buddy living in Palm Beach, his car rotted roof first.

15. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Great place for an instant rhat rawd!... hehe

16. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Yikes, I just saw the pictures of yours. As strange as this sounds, yours looks in even worse shape than mine. Just gotta keep the dream alive!

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Lets just say that I am seriously considering finding another body. There's just nothing left around here...

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Heard there's lots in the Catskills. All over. Heard some ghost stories about the catskills, also...
    Don't go tin huntin' at night.

19. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Got some more pieces and mocked it up just 'cuz :)

Attached Files:

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That one's rough too.. But at least it's there. Shame you aren't closer. I've got a driver's side quarter that's in better condition that you could have.

21. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I acquired some goodies a while back destined for the A...

Attached Files:

22. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Well, those torn up quarters have better wheel wells than these, so I figure I may be able to make something presentable between the two pairs. We'll see, but I'm still working on my other project, so I try not to get too excited about this one yet. It's so difficult to stay concentrated on one project!

23. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Well, it's been a while. But I think I have found a much better starting point!!! She was in a fire, but lightyears ahead of what I had with the coupe pieces. I thought about selling her, but looking at it closer I would be stupid to get rid of her, it's too nice!

Attached Files:

24. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Ok ok, new game plan! I'm going to use the cowl. doors, rear window and subframe from the sedan since everything else on it is pretty badly warped and that will put me a little bit ahead on the coupe.

I unbolted the rear window section and most of the driver's side sheet metal last night. Lots of frozen bolts, snapped bolts, a little torching here and there, but she's coming apart!