Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just Another Intro...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tommy R, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Tommy R

Tommy R

Hey y'all,

Well, I understand it's customary around here for a newcomer to introduce himself, so here I am. Name's Tommy and I've been lurking for a few months. As of now I'm sorry to say I don't have a cool hot rod, kustom, or....hell, let's face facts. I don't own anything cool at the moment. [​IMG] I've been racing cars (modern ones, though) for several years now and I've built a few, too. Making sparks in the garage is something I'm very accustomed to. [​IMG]

I've always had a fondness towards real hot rods. When I started liking them as a kid I wasn't aware that they were considered "traditional". In my mind, those were the real hot rods and the newer, flashy stuff should've needed a different name. Poseur rods, maybe? [​IMG] Anyway, I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge and experience with hot rods is somewhat limited. But, my enthusiasm for them is second to none. I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute here from a technical standpoint, but I'll do what I can. And I've always got an opinion to share! I'm really just looking to learn.

So far, about the most fun project I've worked on is my mini-chopper. It started life as a piece o' crap that I picked up in a junkyard in Topeka, Kansas for $20. With the help of some buds, some beer and afer lots of chopping, raking, and bending we turned it into a traditional or "old school" chopper....or at least my version of one. We jokingly referred to ourselves as Williamson County Choppers (Wilco Choppers, for short) and the name stuck.

More details along with the build-up pics are located on our simple website:

Wilco Choppers

Here's a more updated pic. I was in the process of building a small trailer for it and threw my buddy's race tires on it for the hell of it. Right now you'll be happy to know it sports a vintage Hamm's Beer cooler instead! [​IMG] I'll grab more pics after I get another digital camera soon (mine broke!).

[​IMG]

In the upcoming years I hope to come across the right deal and whether it's a truck, shoebox, or whatever doesn't matter that much to me. I just want to build a hot rod.

Thanks,
    Tommy

2. scotth

scotth
    from Austin, TX

Heh, Tommy's a good guy. I took him up to the Roundup last year and he had a blast! He was drooling on all of the cars up there. Tommy's not afraid to get dirty and eager to learn and lend a helping hand. He took a ton of good pics too and put em up on the web. Post that link, Tommy!

3. Tommy R

Tommy R

4. Tommy R

Tommy R

I figured I should update this 5+ year old thread because I'm proud to say that I'm FINALLY in a position to start building a hot rod! If you've got a Model A body (coupe or Tudor) near or in Texas, please let me know. Will also consider a partially completed project.

Thanks!

5. voodoochili

voodoochili

welcome... hope to run into you sometime! figuratively speaking that is.