Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just another Black Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rsss396, Sep 17, 2018.

1. rsss396

rsss396

Thanks Lynn! It is the typical mid 60 to seventies manual steering box mopar used on allot of cars but I did machine the end of down to slide into a bracket I made and had chromed that sits on top of the frame. I had to cut one of the mount hole areas off to do this. I then also had to build a bracket that mounts to the inside of the frame and pics up the other factory mounts on the steering box. mopar steering box.jpg [​IMG]

2. Rsss396
    Kool,I only really spotted the firewall because I did the same with mine to get that extra couple of inches for the Cad motor,except for the widening.
    Your car is pure class,
    Chris.

osage orange and rsss396 like this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Acorn nuts on manifolds is Neat! (.)(.)'s

rsss396 likes this.
  4. I'm speechless...

The custom touches as never seen before.

Absolutely stunning!

Looking forward to seeing pictures with hood.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you can look at the engine and then look at the rear tires and then answer this question for yourself. :)

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Turned out very nice -- Well done!

7. rsss396

rsss396

thanks Chris, the exact reason I did it. I did not want the hood getting to long because of moving the motor to far forward. even though I could have probably moved the motor about a inch farther forward than it is right now.
    I just played it safe because of a few unknowns I had with the water pump/timing cover clearance that did not get sorted out until after painting.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  8. F&J

F&J

...I don't know about the rest of you...but I'm seeing like 20 years of hard work. Geebus!

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your Coupe is Perfect!

rsss396 likes this.
  10. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

Outstanding!!!

11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

OMG!!!! Your car is bad ass! You did an amazing job. Hats off to you sir! I hope to do half as good as you did on my 1936 Dodge...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Great idea. I have a couple of these boxes and have considered utilizing one to steer my 1936. This really helps me out. Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that thing is great! Nailed it!

14. 51box

51box
    from MA

Very nice work, that Hemi must be a blast

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

This car is gorgeous. Dang.

16. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

I also saw your car at Kalamazoo was my favorite. I especially like what you did with the rear window sure has to improve visibility.

rsss396 likes this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Familiar stuff here...My '27 T roadster was on Deuce rails, ended up with Mopar steering box, 354" Chrysler with Horne intake, four 97s. To see a similar 'recipe' is "wow stuff"!
    Your total finish is outstanding! Rear window is a First, fit is perfect.
    Everything in the right place. Dash fairing into the doors is amazing.

osage orange, dan31 and rsss396 like this.
  18. rsss396

rsss396

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the compliments! I tried to bea little different but its tough when just about everthing has already been done to these cars. The rear window wasn't planned it was oh crap I need to fill this big hole I cut out lol, It just so happen to come out pretty cool. One thing nobody has noticed on here or at the shows is the drip rails are from a 66 ford galaxy 4 door, the rear of the drip rails are actually orig the front of the galaxy, they just so happen to have the same radius in the curved section. The reason used them was I thought it might be kinda cool to have a stainless trim on the drip rail. But after painting it I pretty much gave up on that idea but it is still possible since all need to do is snap it on. But what a pain it was making that work out! Ihad to do allot of metal work to blend all that in.
    I have to admit my rear bumpers are kinda cool and turned out better than I thought they would but I narrowed and chopped those vette bumpers allot and there was a whole lot of guessing going on lol.
    The rear tail light are pretty cool to even though just look like 50 Pontiac lights, the pattern in the trailer light glass makes them pop so cool at night.
    The Buick dash also worked out probably a little better than I expected when I first started. Again you keep taking small cuts at it and it seams to take forever to get something fitted, and while it initially mocked up pretty easy I did have to slice up the dash and level out the gauge holes and make the cornes of the dash flow into the door pieces that were grafted together with the stock model A door piece and the buick door piece Then I had to make cut outs that would allow for the inside door handle pulls. The one thing I had to give into was power windows, I just could not figure out how to move the stock model A crank to the spot where the Buick crank hole was, which by the way was actually for the wing window not the door glass crank. I used the switches that allow factory cranks so its tough tell they are power. I am not proud of it but sometimes you just have to make compromises to make a look come together.
    The gauges were a real pain, the speedo was pretty easy to mount but it is driven by a Dakota digital electronic to mechanical cable box since my trans has a electric out put for the speed. Works pretty good but seams the accuracy drifts from my phones GPS some but not allot, but never did have the speedo calibrated so not sure what blame.
    The tach was a old SW not sure if it worked or not but basicly overlayed the SW speedo face over a speedway tach installed in a SW housing.
    The Pontiac gauge were the hardest part because I wanted them to also have a SW bezel to match the tach and speedo. well the Pontiac gauges themselves are much larger than the SW gauge housing and for the oil pressure I had to cut a relief slot in the side for the Bourdon tube that moves the needle as it expands. I eliminated the amp gauge and replaced it with a voltage gauge. the temp gauge works decent but the new elect sending units available today don't seam to have the same temp curve on the voltage feed back like the old units the gas gauge works but needs a little calibrating to be a little better. I have more money in these old gauges than if I bought some darn nice new gauges, and its funny how many people do not understand how hard and expensive it is sometimes to make some of this old stuff work. but honestly I looked at allot of these new gauges and I don't think they look half as nice as mine.
    I attached some pics of my taillights lit up I think they are pretty cool! IMG_3371.JPG IMG_3373.JPG

19. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

VERY nice car ...The more you look, the more little details you find ....Again..VERY well done ...VERY nice work ...

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

And the air cleaners??????????????????????? Marine?

21. rsss396

rsss396

E0E2082E-EB88-4DDD-884D-796E7424381B.jpeg
    No they are open scoops with mesh filters, a guy on ebay was selling them from Australia not sure if he still does or not?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  22. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Seems like a shame you couldn't have done a better job! LOL
    The A stands for awesome!
    KK

23. rsss396

rsss396

5863FCC6-B2D3-4FCB-9EBA-6323A4163336.jpeg 686D85AA-DE82-4F77-8165-3F7D6410D34B.jpeg 45B01C19-2CA1-49F6-BEC0-496D80D6DB98.jpeg 2A94B14A-C532-4880-B784-7EC6B9C0CFA8.jpeg 0A1170B8-AB52-479C-B9D7-012CA5EF5748.jpeg 5C361FF4-E0D4-4891-A1D8-CC8E94D2111C.jpeg F6FE20EA-F422-470C-AE82-819342A6B594.jpeg B9B674A2-69B2-4D1C-A503-2BC74CE286C1.jpeg Had some asking about mopar box and what I did to make it work. Basically the hard part for many may be machining the housing. There are 3 factory mounting holes but you must remove the mounting hole closest to the end of the output shaft, i sawed off most of it then I used my milling machine with the output shaft chucked up in my rotary table to machine the case so it was round. Not the best way to make a perfectly round shaft but it worked well enough for a good fit in my custom top of the frame mount. The inside of the frame mount picks up the 2 steering box mounting points.

Attached Files:

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow. Outstanding detail and work. You have my respect.

rsss396 likes this.
  25. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

Just another black model A? I don't think so!

rsss396 likes this.
  26. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

What a beauty, very original thinking really sets it apart !! Hope to meet up
    some time I'm located in Portage.

Rich

rsss396 likes this.
  27. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sweet, sweet coupe! I looked at the pix for a long time but as I read the thread someone would mention something I missed and I would have to go back to the beginning and look. Damn nice Hot Rod!

brEad and rsss396 like this.
  28. rsss396

rsss396

Thanks and yes I hope to catch you at one of the shows or cruise nights

29. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Beautiful Car.....You just gave me Model A fever all over again. Gary

rsss396 likes this.
  30. Slopok

Slopok

I'm a Custom guy and dig the hell out of it!:cool:

rsss396 likes this.