Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just Another 55 Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dblgun, Aug 13, 2012.

1. dblgun

dblgun

Been very busy at work for a while but finally back at it and making some progress on the car. I have decided to put two seperate engine,clutch trans combinations together so as to be able to swap them in and out pretty easy. I just put together a Chrysler 4 gear for the second combo and with the adapter takes up the same space as the TKO600 so the crossmemeber and driveshaft are used with both setups. The shifter for the Chrysler required a little floor surgery, and since there were no Super Shifters for an A body trans it also required a mount to be made. A few pics of the progress..

2. dblgun

dblgun

3. dblgun

dblgun

4. dblgun

dblgun

5. dblgun

dblgun

6. dblgun

dblgun

7. dblgun

dblgun

8. dblgun

dblgun

Chrysler now ready for the Chevy:)[​IMG]

Kevs56 likes this.
  9. dblgun

dblgun

I ended up putting more gear in the rear also..[​IMG]

Kevs56 and loudbang like this.
  10. dblgun

dblgun

Hope to get rolling now, many little projects to do on the car. I'm going to try to be better about posting pics of progress a little more often so stay tuned and thanks for looking.

11. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Do you know what the difference is between the super shifter and a Vertigate? Im assuming the super shifter is not an H pattern shifter. Also who did you internals on the 833, Liberty or was it somebody else?

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Man that transmission looks slick!

Uncledirty,a Supershifter is still an H pattern,but it mounts higher up through the floor,and has really stout shift rods.
    It's basically the hardcore,not watered down to fit a production console version of a Comp Plus.
    They are pretty badass.:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. dblgun

dblgun

Uncledirty, like Scott said the Super Shifter and Super Shifter III are H gate shifters. They sacrificed the floor for a straighter shot on the shift linkage. If I remember correcty the Chryslers you had were B body units which a just a little longer than mine. The shifter stuff I am using is originally made for a trans like yours I just made a mount similar to what Hurst did but for the short trans. The gears in my trans were pro shifted by Liberty several years ago, I had them freshened once and now that they have gotten the face plating working I had them face plate the proshifted gears. Can't wait to beat on it!

14. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Car is looking good, great job on the rear wheel arches.

15. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Great build, don't know how I mised it. Love the 55 150s my all time favorite car. And a utility sedan that's icing on the cake.
    It's odd someone took out just the front floor bracket for the plywood floor. Ron

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Man,I just read the thread from beginning to end,and do you ever do nice work.
    I can't wait to see this car run!

Scott

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am really liking the car

18. Ooooooooo preeeettty!

19. Brent, we still have some Dana 5.57's & 5.86's if you really want to hear that 301 sing. :)

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Nice adapter..Since a lot of punishment is going to happen might be a good idea to get the trans bolts to thread in to the bell housing also by welding in some stock and drill/tapping ..Since the adapter will locate the holes and while its apart..Just saying..

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  21. dblgun

dblgun

Hey Ric cool it, I'm not putting another set of gears in this thing before it runs!

Seb, I've never had a problem with the trans and these adapters but you make a good point. It would not be difficult to do what you suggested so your idea will move forward. All if favor say aye.. Aye!, motion carried, next.

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Happy to contribute...I all ways wanted to try shifting a face plated trans, must be like instant gear change? If I remember [just some history] right a company called Philanx came out with the first syncro replacement dog rings for the top loader back in may be early 70's.... I thought my stock top loader did full throttle shifts good; Nash 5 spd and Richmond six speed marginal [actually pretty sucky compared to top loader] and the T5z I just put in one car is like half the effort of the top loader, really like the feel of it clicking in...I seen a video of a guy driving around with a face plated T5 on the street and he said the main thing was to shift fast and to double clutch/blip the throttle on downshifts; don't know if I'd want that as a steady diet on the street but sure would like my six speed to shift better...

23. dblgun

dblgun

The proshifted stuff that was in the trans before was better than the slick shifted before that so I'm looking forward to puttin the face plated pieces through their paces. I expect that it will be easier to drive than the trans in it's earlier versions.

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dblgun,
    Could you tell me a bit more about the proshifted Toploader?
    I've got one that was done by Liberty,but I haven't got it in the car yet....I'm going through my motor soon to get a bunch more rpm out of it,and I'm not sure what to expect.
    I drive this thing on the street a lot,but I'm willing to live with cranky,fussy,race car stuff if I have to,as long as it works and lives behind a little motor that likes to zing up to 7500 and launch at 5 or 6 grand..

Scott

25. dblgun

dblgun

Scott, the proshifted trans was a Chrysler and it worked well for its intended purpose. In this case I had a A833 that had some slick shifted parts in it. They were not the modified stuff where every other tooth was ground off etc... They were I think over the counter Direct Connection(Mopar Performance) parts that were produced as slick shift parts. Anyway those gave up eventually and I had some spare gears proshifted and bought some "slider sleeves" from Liberty. The proshifted gears engaged cleaner and felt more positive, but keep in mind I was younger and dumber then. I had way to much clutch, and a marginal shifter and I eventually tore it up. I would guess that your Toploader will be a fine unit, one because Liberty did it and so far everything from them I've seen is top notch. Secondly the rail system in the Ford is superior to the A833 and the Muncies which I think makes it more stable. I had a Toploader in my last 55 and also had one in my Chevelle wagon and they are a very tough smooth shifting unit. Once they are proshifted they require a period to get use to and do make a fair amount of "racket". Get the clutch/flywheel and gears right, have a good driveshaft and shifter and you will have some real fun. By the way, I may have some spare Super shifter stuff for the Toploader if you need.

Brent

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Brent,
    That sounds great!
    Thanks very much for the offer on the spares,I will shoot you a pm when I get a few minutes (at work right now and busy as a long tailed car in a room full of rocking chairs!)

Scott

27. dblgun

dblgun

No not banned, at least not that I know of... Just been very busy moving the operation to another state. Had the car
    stored for a while but have been working on it a little and will post some update photos soon.

powrshftr and elgringo71 like this.
  28. dblgun

dblgun

Moving to Tucson required that I leave several of my cars in California for a while. I finally got the 55 here 18 months later which was June of this year. Never having stopped on a car for this long I had to regroup and it took a little while but I am again rolling along on the car. In the meantime I decided to put together a little 283 driver motor for the car. I started with a short block that was put together in the late 70's and was on it's way to the scrapper. Although it did not have a ton of miles it had not had the easiest life and the assembly looked to be marginal. I was able to salvage the block and TRW pistons. I added a set of NOS small journal Z28 rods and crankshaft. My pal Ric Panneton fixed me up with some obsolete rings and the short block was finished with Crower flat tappet solid cam. The block was decked and the assembly balanced. I was able to talk Brodix into doing a set of aluminum heads with 1.94/1.600 valves and 62cc chambers so we now have a nice little 288 ci sbc. Who knew that the world would forget a time when the little Chevy was less than 4" bore and would not take 2.02 valves but it happened and now it is a bitch to find the proper pieces to put one together.

29. dblgun

dblgun

Here are a few pics

Attached Files:

30. dblgun

dblgun

The car arrives in Tucson

Attached Files: