Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junkyards in Pennsylvania (along Turnpike)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorsports One, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Motorsports One

Motorsports One

I'm going to the NASCAR races in Bristol, TN next month and planning a side trip to take a peek at the Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike. While checking the maps on Google Maps, I saw this junkyard along the Turnpike and wondered if anybody here had ever been. It's Gary's Salvage Yard on Creekview Rd in Newville. Would I be likely to find parts for my 1954 Ford F-100 there? If not, do you know of any other junkyards that would be worth looking at along Interstate 81 between the Canada border and Bristol, TN or along the way on my Turnpike side trip?

2. Clark

Clark

I've only ever seen it from the turnpike...looks like newer cars, but early pickups can show up in any junkyard.
    Clark

3. 5window

5window

What route are you traveling? Down I-81/Rt 15 or ??

4. timmy25252

timmy25252

If you taking I-81 down stop at:

Engler's Used Auto Parts
    1768 Stairville Road
    Wapwallopen PA, 18660

Exit 159 off Route 81

Hour 830 am to 5 pm
    Except Wed and Sat
    830- 12
    Unsure about sundays

I was never there but I was told to check it out...

5. timmy25252

timmy25252

If your taking the turnpike all the way which is 476, get off at the mahoning valley exit and visit:

EZ Pull and Save
    2401 Summer Valley Road, New Ringgold, PA 1760
    Hours: Monday -Friday10:00 am to 6:00 pm; Sat -Sun 8:00 am to 4:00 pm EST

They have a classic car section, I usually visit a few times a year

6. Motorsports One

Motorsports One

I-81 the whole way to around Marion and Abingdon, VA, except for the side trip on the Turnpike for which I'll skip the stretch of I-81 between Harrisburg, PA and Hagerstown, MD.

7. Motorsports One

Motorsports One

This sounds like a good one. The one in New Ringgold I won't get to because I'm only using the stretch of I-476 that bypasses Scranton, PA. My side trip is on I-76, between Carlisle and Breezetown and using I-70 to get back to I-81.

8. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Be sure to check out Engler's. Give yourself some time, there is alot of stuff to see unless it has changed in the last 4 years. If your like me you could get lost there for a long time.

9. 5window

5window

Well, there's always the world's largest salvage yard-not much old stuff,but better than the world's largest ball of string (also cool).
    http://www.wegotused.com/

10. jmthehermit

jmthehermit
    from Bath, Pa.

It would be easier to look up the phone number in Yellow Book and call ahead and ask if he has what you're looking for. He has the yard memorized. I'm 95 percent sure there are no 54 ford pickups there. I've taken my tools for a lot of long walks there and everything is pretty will picked over and rusted. He has done some crushing and at the extreme back section of the yard will be really soggy if it had rained. Plus you'll also see lots of open spots where cars used to be. But if you're into junkyard tours go for it. You might even get to see his neighbors peacocks roaming around on the turnpike side of the yard.

11. evol55

evol55

Garys in Newville was mostly crushed out because the owner has a drug problem. He need the money to feed it. There is another one down the road called Johnny's Auto Salvage. They have some old stuff , about 10 Scouts, 1 37? Plymouth and some other stuff I can't remember.