Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods June Bang-Er thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Jun 1, 2010.

1. donrodin

donrodin

Thanks bill. I want more pleasure driving, I just need to be able to run the interstate from time to time. And everybody is most of the model a guys around here, they swear by insert bearings but I'm just not sure I wanna go that route.

2. ebtm3

ebtm3

Correct--30-31 Ford

Herb

3. Larry Brumfield wrote an article on compression verses babbit or included a statement regarding the subject in his article about the development of his high compression heads where he stated that at 7 to 1 the babbit started to move. In a discussion of this subject on the Ford Barn he had changed and when I quoted his earlier statement he said that was old information, after he first denied writing this. Jim Brierley has run with 11 to 1 at the lakes and Bonneville. In Dan Iandolas reprint of Rileys 100 MPH book Riley speaks of 10 to 1 and more. I have a 4 port with 50 cc chambers that came out of an early sprint car. My friend ran this engine at 12 to 1 on the street for a short time not knowing what the compression was. This was with babbit and the babbit still looks good in the rods. I plan to detune this engine and run around 8 to 1 on the street. The last year Chevrolet used babbit was 1953 and that engine was rated at 7.5 to 1 compression. They had a different oiling system, dip and squirt. I had one that I rebuilt and I could run it until it wouldn't go any faster in 2 nd. Chevrolet had a sheetmetal guide for aligning the squirt tubes.

If you switch to the later trans you will enjoy driving more because of the synchronized gears. This is why people do this swap.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I will second Bill's statement. The modern trans makes highway and traffic driving much more enjoyable. I am running 3.05 rear gears with a 3.76 first gear. I have 31" tall tires. I routinely drive 75-80 mph on So Cal freeways. In 5th gear I'm turning @ 1800 rpm @ 75 mph.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Only in a discussion about babbit-pounding four-bangers will you hear a V8/60 transmission referred to as a "modern trans." :D

-Dave

6. Don't quite understand, who called the 60 trans a modern trans? When someone posts regarding the 39 trans I assume they are speaking of the regular full size V8 trans.

7. I thought we were talking about early V-8 trans until I thought twice and realized Dan has a T-5 in his roadster pickup. When I talk to my fellow model A club members I say modern and we are talking the early v-8 transmissions for conversion unless I specify T-5.-Weeks

8. Bodger45

Bodger45

Hey Weeks46, last month you said you ran an 1/8 mile but I didn't see your time. I am curious what your time was, I'm running a almost stock banger also and I was just wondering what was your time. Thanks TK Also do you have an 'a' gear box?

9. donrodin

donrodin

Thank you for that information! I'm just gonna try this babbit I have and see how it works. I'm planning on pressurizing the oil system too, so the mains will be getting ample oil. And all the other tricks will be done too. I can't wait to get that trans in!!! I live in indiana, I think there is a guy in indiana that does the conversion, does anybody know who that is? I may just have to wait till the hill climb and ask around.

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i actually like the stock trans & double clutching to shift . 25 yrs driving truck , its in my blood to dc/shift ............................. steve

11. ebtm3

ebtm3

I don't mind the double clutching, or even shifting without the clutch--it's the D**M screaming in second gear- even with good looking parts--that makes a modern transmission worth the installation to me.

Herb

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

are the '39 trans higher geared in 2nd ?? .................... steve

13. donrodin

donrodin

I got her painted last week, still gotta do the wheels. She's coming along though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. According to Joe Mac there were 2 basic 2nd gear ratio's. If I remember he called the one with the slightly lower overall ratio a "commercial set". I had him pull the gears out of a 46 trans and put them into a 39 box with pick up open drive adapter and that is what he said the 46 column shift had in it, he was puzzled why it would be in a passenger car trans. I didn't know the history of the car.

15. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Starter trouble!
    I am close to getting my A Banger on the road, the starter has given me some trouble. I have bent the shaft a couple of times, I have got it reasonably straight put a later bendix on. The bendix fell apart almost instantly, I managed to get it back together, sounds a bit nasty when it cranks. I recently put one of those little starters that you can get on ebay cheap on my sbc ski boat, could I adapt one of these to my banger? has anyone done it, are there any other starters that can be fitted? I am in Australia so a reco "A" starter from the US would cost a fortune in postage.
    thanks
    Brendan

Attached Files:

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

JPB,
    According to Joe Mac there were 2 basic 2nd gear ratio's.
    ok , was the 2nd gear set higher than the "A" 2nd ? my 2nd is a real hard puller , its 1st that is short .................. steve

17. Detail! details details. I will spend some of my valuable time tomorrow and look it up. Today I finished my sleeve puller for my Ford 800 tractor and it worked! Inquiring minds want to know why do you want the info? Are you planning a trans swap or are you just curious or are you lonely and desire some conversation about A bones?

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

gezzzzzzzzz bill .............................. steve

19. Me going schlowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    [​IMG]

I had issues with my carb and timing. I ran super slow probably the slowest et by far of Dragfest. We ran the full 1320ft (1/4 mile) my car shoulda ran around 24-26 second range. Instead it made alot of people smile and honestly I was pretty embarassed. NOT AGAIN will I be embarassed as shes running tip top now and will lay down the proper numbers next dragfest. My competitor Model A Dave ran a best of 23.5 at 55mph if I recall. I beat him in the 1/8 mile times every time but had no top end to keep up.

I run a stock model A diamond block .60 over pistons, diamond head stock compression, single downdraft intake with stromberg 97, stock distributor, 12 volt battery, fuel pump, with a straight pipe about 3 feet(+-), a stock 3 speed gearbox, stock 378 rearend gear, stock 19 inch rims. Pretty stock car minus the alternator and master cylinder everything is correct. Well not the rotoflows either.

I also acquired a holy grail item this weekend during an adventure to LA a real ORIGINAL Model B grille with insert. Mock up picture below.-Weeks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  20. Bodger45

Bodger45

Weeks,
    Thanks For the info, I'm hoping for a 25 sec 1/4. My cars pretty light? The grill looks great. Where did you get that? I have a Model B radiator I'd let go if your interested. PM me for pics and details.
    TK

21. Just for you Steve! Apparently there were 3 ratios according to this chart. Your "A" 2nd is 1.85 I include this as I was sure you would ask.

Your A bone friend
    Kindly, patient, understanding Bill

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_trans-gearratios.htm

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  22. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

bill ,
    thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ................... steve